Atlanta, TX
✟8,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know he was arguing that faith alone isn't enough to save. But the thing is, I disagree with James. Faith alone is enough to save and like I said, why is that particularly relevant since Christ didn't die for devils he died for us. Nor is our salvation given to devils. He was arguing that faith in itself isn't enough to save yet, every other apostle and Jesus himself disagreed with him. Since, even Jesus himself said "Believe in me and you are saved, believe not and you are condemned". James is literally the only person in the whole bible who seemed to not believe that. I'm not saying we shouldn't take what he said into consideration but yeah, it is a confusing section of the bible.

I'm not sure it is wise to disagree with James 2:14-26 since it is Scripture, inspired by the Holy Spirit. He does not contradict Himself in the Bible, so the best thing to do is to understand the context. James is not saying that faith does not save, but it is simply a faith that expresses itself in love. I believe people get confused in that they believe faith is SAYING, "I believe" where as genuine faith is living the faith out. For instance, if I were to say "I believe this chair will hold me", one could say I have a certain type of faith (an intellectual one. I could look at the chair and say with my mind that it would hold me). But saving faith requires that I sit in the chair. The faith chapter is Hebrews 11. Hebrews 11:4 says, "By faith, Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice." He did not simply say, "I believe in God", but he followed that faith by offering a sacrifice. Hebrews 11:7 says, "By faith Noah being divinely warned of things not yet seen...prepared an ark." He did not just say, "God told me He was going to build an ark", he built the ark. Neither Abel's sacrifice, nor Noah's ark saved him, in terms of a works salvation. The works did nothing more than PROVE the faith. We know a person believes when we see the works. Until then, it is just words. Hebrews 11:8-12 and 17-19 speak of Abraham. Hebrews 11:17 says, By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son." This is the exact same argument James uses in James 2:21-23: "Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?" And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." Note it says that Abraham's works JUSTIFIED his faith -- it does not say it SAVED him --- it was the fruit others see to know a person is saved. All James is saying is that faith is just words until a person sits in the chair. To go from standing beside the chair to sitting in the chair is "repentance" it is a change of mind which leads to a change in actions.

Many get confused believing "repentance" equates to straightening up one's life before accepting Jesus as Savior. That's not repentance at all. Repentance is saying, "God, I've tried everything I know, and I KNOW I can't change myself!! I trust Jesus as my Savior and Lord, and I ask Him to change me." Now, you trust that Jesus paid the penalty for your sin. You trust that when He arose, He had victory over sin and the grave. Your whole point for going to him was that you couldn't stand yourself as you were, and WANT to be changed. LETTING Him change you is the work that justifies the faith. That is "bearing fruit worthy of repentance." (Matthew 3:8). Only God can do this through you, but you have to LET Him, and do what He tells you to do in order to be saved from the sin. That was the point of going to Him to begin with, after all. Does that make sense? It isn't the "work" that saves, and even James does not believe that -- it is just that the work is what happens when one has true saving faith. Does that make any sense?

I've heard this and put it into my thread but can you point to a verse or verses that say this in the bible? Thanks.

Exactly, it isn't difficult. Salvation is very simple it's many Christians that make it sound complicated but in reality, it's not. Believe in Jesus and you are saved, don't believe and you are condemned. Simple.

I agree with you 100%.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like this statement. its true. So Jesus died.. rose. The 120 wait on the sweet sweet Holy Spirit that was promised. 3000 get saved. Not all Jewish. They inturn go out and tell others. Some all they hear is..this JESUS came died rose ..if you believe in Him.. you live for ever.

Yeah.. thats ALL they had. No NT bible. Only SOME had very few the OT so ALL someone had was just hearing and then believing. See HE IS REAL! To many now days follow what some CHRUCH tells them is the REAL truth. Just look at this nice site..it is but look how many different beliefs there are. Then you CANT go here talk over there some have another book some put Mary as a god on and on.

Not here to offend so if I did forgive. My point is

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
P
I wasn't sure what section this would best go under so I decided to post it here. If it fits better in another section please feel free to move it.

The ONLY requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ! I'm not "Sugarcoating" the gospel I'm saying EXACTLY what the bible says in the following places:

(John 3:16), (John 6:40), (John 5:24), (John 20:31), (John 5:13), (Romans 10:9), (Luke 8:12), (John 1:12), (John 6:29), (John 7:39), (John 8:24), (John 10:26), (John 12:36), (John 17:20), (John 20:31), (Acts 16:31), (Acts 19:4), (Romans 3:22), (Romans 4:24), (Romans 10:9), (Galatians 3:22), (1 John 3:23), (1 John 5:13), (1 Thess 4:14).

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved? I've heard several doctrines. I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved. This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future. Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation. I've heard that Christians who continue on sinning after salvation aren't saved. There isn't a single verse in the bible that says that either. I've heard that works are required for salvation and people who don't work for heaven don't go there. Yet, this is trumped in Ephesians 2:8-9.

I've heard that people have to live the "Christian lifestyle" in order to be saved and that those who are saved would show fruit in their lives. This couldn't be further from the truth either and it causes people (myself included) to doubt their salvation because there isn't sufficient enough fruit showing in their lives. Living the Christian lifestyle and fruit come AFTER a person is saved and has nothing to do with their salvation. I've heard all kinds of things that just aren't true. So why? Why do Christians insist on perverting the gospel? It causes many Christians who are saved already to doubt their salvation and it discourages other people from potentially coming to Christ for salvation so It's a HUGE problem in Christianity.

Salvation is so simple. Believe in Jesus Christ and you have eternal life. Don't believe and you go to hell. THAT'S IT and that's EXACTLY what the bible says! No sugar coating. No perversions. No nothing.

I welcome anybody to prove me wrong and show me where in the bible it says that there is ANY other requirement. The ONLY two places in the bible that seem to refute belief in Christ alone are James 2:19 and Mark 16:16. Mark 16:16 seems to be saying that baptism is required for salvation. I personally don't think it is since the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and he was saved for believing in Jesus but, I believe that every Christian should get baptized anyway as obedience to that verse.

James 2:19 is the verse that is so thrown out of context and the verse that everyone throws in people's faces to dispute belief in Christ alone. Only, this verse is irrelevant in disputing belief in Christ alone since... CHRIST DIDN'T DIE FOR DEVILS! Christ died for humanity! There is NO salvation for the devils anyway! Nor would devils take salvation if it were offered to them they WANT to go to hell! Not to mention, it is impossible for devils to be saved even if they did go to Christ and beg for forgiveness. So how can this verse possibly be used to refute belief in Christ alone?

So why? Why do so many Christians insist that belief in Christ isn't enough? When the bible says over, and over, and over, and over, and over again that it is the ONLY requirement for salvation? Why does this have to be even debated? Well, unfortunately people are going to disagree with me and this is going to be debated here which is why this is in the debate section. Debate away.
Perhaps when we put it all in the 2 dimensional terms of saved or not saved this is obvious.
But of course the question should be are we in right relationship with God or not, we have His Spirit or not, bearing fruit of the Spirit or not, entering the kingdom or not?
What I mean here is that when James speaks about the evidence of our faith being good actions, or works, he is speaking about evidence of a relationship. Its not that we are working to achieve salvation (this would negate the grace of Christ), rather the truth of the good and righteous relationship; the faith that we have in Christ Jesus is that because of His Love and His Spirit within us we are compelled to do things in any situation that are pleasing and good to Him.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear mmbatlestar. You had many answers and since you only want the only requirement, I give you mine. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: "The first and great Commandment is:
Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself."
In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters. We have to stop being selfish and unloving, and start loving and caring, be kind and always helpful. We have much time on this earth to learn to be loving and caring, and forgiving and always kind and helpful. This sounds very easy, but takes a lot of learning and overcoming. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us:
Ask and you shall receive. We ask for Love and Joy, than thank God, and share all with our neighbours. Let us be the sons and daughters which our Heavenlther wants. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MMB, read these verses:

Matthew 25:31-46 KJV

and then answer me one simple question.

Can we make it to everlasting life by not doing the works of taking care of the poor? Or is it a must to do those works?

It's really one question, but I just want it to be clear, and simple as I claimed.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Dear mmbatlestar. You had many answers and since you only want the only requirement, I give you mine. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: "The first and great Commandment is:
Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself."
In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters. We have to stop being selfish and unloving, and start loving and caring, be kind and always helpful. We have much time on this earth to learn to be loving and caring, and forgiving and always kind and helpful. This sounds very easy, but takes a lot of learning and overcoming. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us:
Ask and you shall receive. We ask for Love and Joy, than thank God, and share all with our neighbours. Let us be the sons and daughters which our Heavenlther wants. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ

Obviously the greatest commandment is love and spreading love. Paul says that love is the fulfillment of the law (Galatians 5:14), (Romans 13:10). So, you could argue that love is a requirement for salvation because, Paul says that it fulfills all of the law and it is the greatest of Christs commandments.

But, love is something that comes so naturally to all of us. Especially us Christians who love the world. I've yet to meet a Christian that didn't love to at least some degree. So, you brought up a valid point that love would be a requirement for salvation but, I say back to you that

Also, one has to have belief in Christ to be saved. One just cannot have love alone.

MMB, read these verses:

Matthew 25:31-46 KJV

and then answer me one simple question.

Can we make it to everlasting life by not doing the works of taking care of the poor? Or is it a must to do those works?

It's really one question, but I just want it to be clear, and simple as I claimed.

Hi,

Honestly I never really understood that parable. Because the Unrighteous in the parable said "When did we not feed, clothe and garment you? When were you in prison?". And Jesus says "You did at least one of these things but you didn't do it to me." So he was saying that it's important to do these things but we're supposed to do these kinds of things for our savior? I honestly don't understand that parable could you explain it to me? But, to answer your question.

Yes, I would assume that a person could get to heaven without doing works of taking care of the poor. Although, I would anyway because Jesus commanded us to take care of the poor several times in the Bible and James does say that works are important to faith. But, on the topic of salvation, people are saved or not saved based on their belief in Christ and their faith. Paul says this multiple times. So yes, people are still saved but, they should do it anyway. It's kind of exactly like Baptism or Circumcision or any other work. It's not a requirement for salvation but, everyone should be baptized anyway in obedience to Christ and to show our savior that we love him.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It actually reads:

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

IOW, if we did it to/for people. But surely the basic point is clear to you, as it speaks of taking care of the poor or not, and just knowing that by itself, makes the subject clear.

Anyway, I have to say, since Christ said right there if those thing weren't done they would not make it to heaven, I find your reply that we can get to heaven by not doing those things, completely bizarre. What is your logic in your clear disagreement with what Christ plainly says? How do you say yes, when he says no?

The last time I brought this up, less than a week ago for the same reason, it was not answered. I expected that, but never expected someone to claim they didn't understand it. Hope you understand this is just me very confused at your answer.

Where did you get the following from:

"And Jesus says "You did at least one of these things but you didn't do it to me." when that is not the way it reads?

Also, do you understand it now, and if so, is your answer the same?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It actually reads:

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

IOW, if we did it to/for people. But surely the basic point is clear to you, as it speaks of taking care of the poor or not, and just knowing that by itself, makes the subject clear.

Anyway, I have to say, since Christ said right there if those thing weren't done they would not make it to heaven, I find your reply that we can get to heaven by not doing those things, completely bizarre. What is your logic in your clear disagreement with what Christ plainly says? How do you say yes, when he says no?

The last time I brought this up, less than a week ago for the same reason, it was not answered. I expected that, but never expected someone to claim they didn't understand it. Hope you understand this is just me very confused at your answer.

Where did you get the following from:

"And Jesus says "You did at least one of these things but you didn't do it to me." when that is not the way it reads?

Also, do you understand it now, and if so, is your answer the same?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm sorry I sounded so unbelievably stupid to you, I have reading comprehension problems and I reread the parable quickly. You're right, he didn't say what I thought he said and what I was confused about isn't confusing anymore. Thank you for explaining it.

Well, it matches up with James's words doesn't it? Didn't James say that a true faith would result in good works? So the answer would be no. My argument still is valid because it is faith that saves us in the end but a true faith would result in good works.

Reactions: NWC
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry I sounded so unbelievably stupid to you

Nope, not stupid. I was merely baffled, and I made that clear in the following, that it was no more than that:

Hope you understand this is just me very confused at your answer.

And no, your answer still doesn't make sense at all, but I already explained why so I guess nothing else need be said by me.

Upvote 0