The one and only requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I know he was arguing that faith alone isn't enough to save. But the thing is, I disagree with James. Faith alone is enough to save and like I said, why is that particularly relevant since Christ didn't die for devils he died for us. Nor is our salvation given to devils. He was arguing that faith in itself isn't enough to save yet, every other apostle and Jesus himself disagreed with him. Since, even Jesus himself said "Believe in me and you are saved, believe not and you are condemned". James is literally the only person in the whole bible who seemed to not believe that. I'm not saying we shouldn't take what he said into consideration but yeah, it is a confusing section of the bible.
James' words are inspired by God. We can't just disbelieve parts of the Bible we don't like. James' words here can be confusing, they are not preaching works salvation, but they do seem to be saying that a true living faith will naturally bear fruit in works. Many places in the Bible would suggest the same.

The devils part is James explaining that mere intellectual belief clearly isn't enough to save you. Even devils believe, and it does nothing for them.

Also for example, if you read 1 Corinthians 8-11, here too Paul talks about how he has many freedoms, like taking a wife to himself, but rather does all things for the Gospel so he is not 'disqualified from the prize'. We think Paul is a radical, but he says to be 'imitators of me as I am of Christ', as though we too should be giving up freedoms in order that we are not 'disqualified from the prize'!

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved. This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future. Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation.

Jesus said, in Mark 1:15, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” And in Luke 13:3,5 Jesus said, "...unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

What is repentance and is it necessary for salvation?

Many understand the term repentance (from the Greek word metanoia) to mean “turning from sin.” This is not the biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8-14; Acts 3:19). Acts 26:20 declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.” The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The Book of Acts seems to especially focus on repentance in regards to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind in regard to Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about Him, to recognize that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds from rejection of Christ as the Messiah to faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance and faith can be understood as “two sides of the same coin.” It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about who He is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

It is important that we understand that repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation, but at the same time, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly and fully change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19-23; James 2:14-26). Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about Jesus Christ and turning to God in faith for salvation (Acts 3:19). Turning from sin is not the definition of repentance, but it is one of the results of genuine, faith-based repentance towards the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Jesus Christ!

now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a prostitute that I purchased last week for the weekend. Quite expensive, but all the money I embezzled from the offering plate, gofundme pages, and the bank I work at should cover it and many more visits.

Thank you for making your sarcasm obvious but it wasn't really called for. Obviously people who live like this aren't saved it says so in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.

vinsight4u wrote<
We are told to repent and believe. Repent and be converted that your sins
may be blotted out. God commands men to repent.

op
I've heard this and put it into my thread but can you point to a verse or verses that say this in the bible? Thanks.

vin
Ezekiel 14:6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn [yourselves] from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn [yourselves] from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Matthew 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent:for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 9:13 But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

joy in heaven
Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

knew his five brothers need to repent to keep them from the place of torment
Luke 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men men every where to repent:

Right, but repentance doesn't mean to repent from sins which is what I was saying. See post #22.

I think you didn't read the verse I quoted carefully. I have to put it here again and highlight the key words.

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

The works that Jesus did is difficult. He went around quite a lot to his own neglect, he didn't even have time to build a good life for himself. He was not afraid to make enemies for the sake of the Truth. Those are actually the key ingredients to establish a miserable life on Earth :)

If that is what Jesus thinks then the majority of Christians actually don't believe Him. And if belief is the requirement of salvation - as you think....Then the majority of Christians aren't saved! :eek:

Good point. No I didn't see what you were saying it's hard to detect sarcasm on the internet. But the word believe is translated from the Greek word Pisteuo which means:

1. to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
    1. of the thing believed
      1. to credit, have confidence
    2. in a moral or religious reference
      1. used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
      2. to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith 1bc) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
  2. to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
    1. to be intrusted with a thing
So, it does mean to just simply have faith.

James' words are inspired by God. We can't just disbelieve parts of the Bible we don't like. James' words here can be confusing, they are not preaching works salvation, but they do seem to be saying that a true living faith will naturally bear fruit in works. Many places in the Bible would suggest the same.

The devils part is James explaining that mere intellectual belief clearly isn't enough to save you. Even devils believe, and it does nothing for them.

Also for example, if you read 1 Corinthians 8-11, here too Paul talks about how he has many freedoms, like taking a wife to himself, but rather does all things for the Gospel so he is not 'disqualified from the prize'. We think Paul is a radical, but he says to be 'imitators of me as I am of Christ', as though we too should be giving up freedoms in order that we are not 'disqualified from the prize'!

I never said his words weren't inspired by God. I didn't just ignore parts of the bible that I don't like. James's words just plain don't make sense. He disagreed with faith alone which was taught by literally the entire bible and you even said yourself that we are saved by faith alone. Well, James didn't think so and James disagrees with you too and a majority of the bible. So, his words are very confusing as he teaches a works based salvation instead of a faith alone based salvation. When all of the other apostles including Christ himself taught a faith based salvation so, what James said makes no sense when compared with the rest of the bible. Plus, he goes on to say that belief in Christ isn't enough to save us when the Bible says the exact opposite in the places I quoted in the OP. Not to mention Paul says in Romans 5:1 and Ephesians 2:8-9 that we are saved by Faith and not by works plus faith like James claimed. So, it's either believe in the entire bible or believe in the one really confusing part of the bible that seems to contradict the rest of the bible. So, I have no argument against what James is saying and I'm not saying his words aren't inspired by God. I just think they make no sense when compared with the bible as a whole.

Jesus said, in Mark 1:15, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” And in Luke 13:3,5 Jesus said, "...unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

What is repentance and is it necessary for salvation?

Many understand the term repentance (from the Greek word metanoia) to mean “turning from sin.” This is not the biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8-14; Acts 3:19). Acts 26:20 declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.” The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The Book of Acts seems to especially focus on repentance in regards to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind in regard to Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about Him, to recognize that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds from rejection of Christ as the Messiah to faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance and faith can be understood as “two sides of the same coin.” It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about who He is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

It is important that we understand that repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation, but at the same time, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly and fully change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19-23; James 2:14-26). Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about Jesus Christ and turning to God in faith for salvation (Acts 3:19). Turning from sin is not the definition of repentance, but it is one of the results of genuine, faith-based repentance towards the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you for your explanation of what repentance is. It just proves more of my point that, we are saved by belief in Christ alone since repentance means to change our mind about Jesus Christ from a mind that doesn't believe to a mind that believes in him. Like I said, the bible says over and over again that we are saved by our belief in Christ. So why this even needs to be debated I have no idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I never said his words weren't inspired by God. I didn't just ignore parts of the bible that I don't like. James's words just plain don't make sense. He disagreed with faith alone which was taught by literally the entire bible and you even said yourself that we are saved by faith alone. Well, James didn't think so and James disagrees with you too and a majority of the bible. So, his words are very confusing as he teaches a works based salvation instead of a faith alone based salvation. When all of the other apostles including Christ himself taught a faith based salvation so, what James said makes no sense when compared with the rest of the bible. Plus, he goes on to say that belief in Christ isn't enough to save us when the Bible says the exact opposite in the places I quoted in the OP. Not to mention Paul says in Romans 5:1 and Ephesians 2:8-9 that we are saved by Faith and not by works plus faith like James claimed. So, it's either believe in the entire bible or believe in the one really confusing part of the bible that seems to contradict the rest of the bible. So, I have no argument against what James is saying and I'm not saying his words aren't inspired by God. I just think they make no sense when compared with the bible as a whole.
James clearly says "show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works". The point being that faith is shown by works, not that faith and works are two separate things that justify a person.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
James clearly says "show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works". The point being that faith is shown by works, not that faith and works are two separate things that justify a person.

I think I understand now. So, he wasn't teaching a works based salvation then?

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think I understand now. So, he wasn't teaching a works based salvation then?
No, he wasn't. But James was emphasising very strongly that true faith produces works, and a faith without works is a dead faith, one that was never true faith to begin with.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I wasn't sure what section this would best go under so I decided to post it here. If it fits better in another section please feel free to move it.

The ONLY requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ! I'm not "Sugarcoating" the gospel I'm saying EXACTLY what the bible says in the following places:

(John 3:16), (John 6:40), (John 5:24), (John 20:31), (John 5:13), (Romans 10:9), (Luke 8:12), (John 1:12), (John 6:29), (John 7:39), (John 8:24), (John 10:26), (John 12:36), (John 17:20), (John 20:31), (Acts 16:31), (Acts 19:4), (Romans 3:22), (Romans 4:24), (Romans 10:9), (Galatians 3:22), (1 John 3:23), (1 John 5:13), (1 Thess 4:14).

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved? I've heard several doctrines. I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved. This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future. Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation. I've heard that Christians who continue on sinning after salvation aren't saved. There isn't a single verse in the bible that says that either. I've heard that works are required for salvation and people who don't work for heaven don't go there. Yet, this is trumped in Ephesians 2:8-9.

I've heard that people have to live the "Christian lifestyle" in order to be saved and that those who are saved would show fruit in their lives. This couldn't be further from the truth either and it causes people (myself included) to doubt their salvation because there isn't sufficient enough fruit showing in their lives. Living the Christian lifestyle and fruit come AFTER a person is saved and has nothing to do with their salvation. I've heard all kinds of things that just aren't true. So why? Why do Christians insist on perverting the gospel? It causes many Christians who are saved already to doubt their salvation and it discourages other people from potentially coming to Christ for salvation so It's a HUGE problem in Christianity.

Salvation is so simple. Believe in Jesus Christ and you have eternal life. Don't believe and you go to hell. THAT'S IT and that's EXACTLY what the bible says! No sugar coating. No perversions. No nothing.

I welcome anybody to prove me wrong and show me where in the bible it says that there is ANY other requirement. The ONLY two places in the bible that seem to refute belief in Christ alone are James 2:19 and Mark 16:16. Mark 16:16 seems to be saying that baptism is required for salvation. I personally don't think it is since the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and he was saved for believing in Jesus but, I believe that every Christian should get baptized anyway as obedience to that verse.

James 2:19 is the verse that is so thrown out of context and the verse that everyone throws in people's faces to dispute belief in Christ alone. Only, this verse is irrelevant in disputing belief in Christ alone since... CHRIST DIDN'T DIE FOR DEVILS! Christ died for humanity! There is NO salvation for the devils anyway! Nor would devils take salvation if it were offered to them they WANT to go to hell! Not to mention, it is impossible for devils to be saved even if they did go to Christ and beg for forgiveness. So how can this verse possibly be used to refute belief in Christ alone?

So why? Why do so many Christians insist that belief in Christ isn't enough? When the bible says over, and over, and over, and over, and over again that it is the ONLY requirement for salvation? Why does this have to be even debated? Well, unfortunately people are going to disagree with me and this is going to be debated here which is why this is in the debate section. Debate away.

I agree.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

"If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Rom 4:2-8

But what has happened is the rise of Neo-Circumcision theory, evolving out of the events of Acts 15 which Paul speaks of in Galatians as well. This evolved into Catholicism and from there the leaven of their doctrine reached it tentacles into most of the denominations up to the present.

What these advocate is much the same in spirit as the circumcision, a salvation by works soteriology. They're most easily identified by their rejection of Eternal Security, an essential aspect of the gospel of grace.

That's why there's still debate over the essential issue as to what engenders the New Covenant promise and the method of salvation.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I know he was arguing that faith alone isn't enough to save. But the thing is, I disagree with James. .

I'm right with you there, and so is Martin Luther. An article I've written on the subject of the Neo-Circumcision and James' involvement is at The Neo-Circumcision

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your explanation of what repentance is. It just proves more of my point that, we are saved by belief in Christ alone since repentance means to change our mind about Jesus Christ from a mind that doesn't believe to a mind that believes in him. Like I said, the bible says over and over again that we are saved by our belief in Christ. So why this even needs to be debated I have no idea.

I didn't respond in debate. You made the statement, "...there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation" and I gave the verses that say that it is, then shared the meaning of repentance because there is so much confusion, in the church, about what it is, exactly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't sure what section this would best go under so I decided to post it here. If it fits better in another section please feel free to move it.

The ONLY requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ! I'm not "Sugarcoating" the gospel I'm saying EXACTLY what the bible says in the following places:

(John 3:16), (John 6:40), (John 5:24), (John 20:31), (John 5:13), (Romans 10:9), (Luke 8:12), (John 1:12), (John 6:29), (John 7:39), (John 8:24), (John 10:26), (John 12:36), (John 17:20), (John 20:31), (Acts 16:31), (Acts 19:4), (Romans 3:22), (Romans 4:24), (Romans 10:9), (Galatians 3:22), (1 John 3:23), (1 John 5:13), (1 Thess 4:14).

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved? I've heard several doctrines. I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved. This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future. Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation. I've heard that Christians who continue on sinning after salvation aren't saved. There isn't a single verse in the bible that says that either. I've heard that works are required for salvation and people who don't work for heaven don't go there. Yet, this is trumped in Ephesians 2:8-9.

I've heard that people have to live the "Christian lifestyle" in order to be saved and that those who are saved would show fruit in their lives. This couldn't be further from the truth either and it causes people (myself included) to doubt their salvation because there isn't sufficient enough fruit showing in their lives. Living the Christian lifestyle and fruit come AFTER a person is saved and has nothing to do with their salvation. I've heard all kinds of things that just aren't true. So why? Why do Christians insist on perverting the gospel? It causes many Christians who are saved already to doubt their salvation and it discourages other people from potentially coming to Christ for salvation so It's a HUGE problem in Christianity.

Salvation is so simple. Believe in Jesus Christ and you have eternal life. Don't believe and you go to hell. THAT'S IT and that's EXACTLY what the bible says! No sugar coating. No perversions. No nothing.

I welcome anybody to prove me wrong and show me where in the bible it says that there is ANY other requirement. The ONLY two places in the bible that seem to refute belief in Christ alone are James 2:19 and Mark 16:16. Mark 16:16 seems to be saying that baptism is required for salvation. I personally don't think it is since the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and he was saved for believing in Jesus but, I believe that every Christian should get baptized anyway as obedience to that verse.

James 2:19 is the verse that is so thrown out of context and the verse that everyone throws in people's faces to dispute belief in Christ alone. Only, this verse is irrelevant in disputing belief in Christ alone since... CHRIST DIDN'T DIE FOR DEVILS! Christ died for humanity! There is NO salvation for the devils anyway! Nor would devils take salvation if it were offered to them they WANT to go to hell! Not to mention, it is impossible for devils to be saved even if they did go to Christ and beg for forgiveness. So how can this verse possibly be used to refute belief in Christ alone?

So why? Why do so many Christians insist that belief in Christ isn't enough? When the bible says over, and over, and over, and over, and over again that it is the ONLY requirement for salvation? Why does this have to be even debated? Well, unfortunately people are going to disagree with me and this is going to be debated here which is why this is in the debate section?. Debate away.

First, Mark 16:16 doesn't say baptism is required for salvation. If it did then the corollary would be "he that is does not believe and is not baptized will not be saved"

Belief is the action required for salvation. Baptism is a response to salvation not a eans of salvation.

Second, Jesus said repentance is required for salvation.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Good point. No I didn't see what you were saying it's hard to detect sarcasm on the internet. But the word believe is translated from the Greek word Pisteuo which means:

1. to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
    1. of the thing believed
      1. to credit, have confidence
    2. in a moral or religious reference
      1. used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
      2. to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith 1bc) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
  2. to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
    1. to be intrusted with a thing
So, it does mean to just simply have faith.

I was hoping you explain to me that entire verse, not just one word out of that entire verse:rolleyes:

Anyway, I get it, after twice quoting it, you're still avoiding John 14:12. You don't like to talk about it so no need to reply....I was only testing you. Many Christians also don't like to talk about John 14:12 so you're not alone.

Upvote 0

lee-johnson

Dec 7, 2016
GB
✟15,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simply not true! First of all you receive forgiveness from God for the sacrifice of his son. You may know when you receive his forgiveness from the lightened heart and guilt inside; once you forgive yourself you are closer to forgiveness from him. Second, Christ shall require redemption for your sins - good deeds. It may be a good idea to look to undo what you did as a sin to counter the sin itself.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved?

"Why?" is a good question. I suspect the answer is that their opinions about salvation simply reflect the way they live their lives in the present. If they reject salvation by faith only, it probably means that they justify themselves day-by-day on the basis of their works (fruits) and not on the basis of their trust in Jesus Christ. If they hold themselves to this standard, it would follow that they hold other people to the same standard. This could help explain why we have so many "fruit inspectors".

My favorite verse on the subject of salvation by faith only is 1 Corinthians 1:22, which is at the end of this quote (NKJV) - emphasis mine:

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

In God's sovereign will, He alone decided, according to what pleased Him, that He would "save those who believe".

Personally, I have put all my eggs in one basket. I have put all my hope on Jesus to save me from my sins. I live every day in gratitude because my hope is a sure hope, not just a wish.

I do not know how to help those who have a different opinion about salvation. I suspect that we may need to help them understand that, just like others, all their righteousness is as filthy rags.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Multiple problems with that reasoning:
1. The word translated as "belief" doesn't mean the same thing as the word "belief" in English. It means something similar to faithfulness instead of just believing Jesus died for your sins and trusting in Him for salvation.

2. Believing in Jesus includes believing what he taught. Jesus taught that repentance (turning from sin) was necessary for salvation. He also taught through the apostles that baptism was necessary for salvation (Acts 2:38 and many others). If you believe in Jesus then you should be motivated to repent and get baptized because you believe those are necessary for salvation.

3. Just because a few verses only mention belief doesn't mean belief alone is all that's necessary. If that were the case then John 5:28 which says those who do good will be saved would mean that doing good alone without faith would result in salvation. The parable of the sheep and goats would also be teaching salvation by works alone. You have to look at ALL of scripture, not just the verses your pastor cherry picked and quoted to you. Finish reading the New Testament and you should see that more than belief is necessary for salvation.

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved? I've heard several doctrines.

Faith alone (as many understand it today) is a modern invention not believed by any of the early Christians nor taught by the churches founded by the apostles.

I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved.

They get that from scripture. Acts 2:38

This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future.

While true, that doesn't mean that future sins are forgiven when a person becomes a Christian which would be a license to sin.

Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation.

There are many verses that teach that. Rather than post all of them, I'll encourage you to read the entire New Testament.

I've heard that Christians who continue on sinning after salvation aren't saved. There isn't a single verse in the bible that says that either.

See Galatians 5 and 1 Corinthians 6. Scripture says those who continue sinning will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven.

I've heard that works are required for salvation and people who don't work for heaven don't go there. Yet, this is trumped in Ephesians 2:8-9.

That verse is in the past tense which means it's talking about initial justification.

The problem isn't Christianity. The problem is you are misinterpreting scripture.

That is definitely NOT what scripture teaches. It's a modern invention based on a faulty interpretation of scripture.

The thief doesn't refute Mark 16:16 for two reasons:
1. The thief was in the Old Covenant and baptism is part of the New Covenant
2. Exceptions don't disprove rules. Using you reasoning, if infants who die go to heaven without believing in Jesus, then believing in Jesus is not necessary for salvation. See the problem with that reasoning?

So why? Why do so many Christians insist that belief in Christ isn't enough? When the bible says over, and over, and over, and over, and over again that it is the ONLY requirement for salvation? Why does this have to be even debated? Well, unfortunately people are going to disagree with me and this is going to be debated here which is why this is in the debate section. Debate away.

There are many verses where Paul and Jesus taught that more than belief was necessary. I agree it doesn't need to be debated since every Christian church disagreed with your modern interpretation and there is no need to reinvent the wheel every generation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Demons believe in Jesus. That doesn't help them at all.

Upvote 0

jamespyles

Jun 30, 2011
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟17,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

What he said. Intellectual ascension of Jesus won't save you, it's a transformed life that can only be achieved by following Christ's teachings. I fear there are far too many Christians in church on Sundays who mentally "believe" in Jesus but who live lives little or no different than before they declared themselves believers.

Believing in Jesus is easy. Obeying him and living a transformed life is hard.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hello Battlestar.

Jesus made the message leading to salvation, fool proof.
The message is so simple, believing in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

What could possibly go wrong with such a simple message.

Upvote 0