May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty wide sweep, ie, just forgot about God's righteous justice and wrath pouring out today, ie, this moment (eg, IIThess.2:10b)

Rom.1:18 for starters,

opinionated,

Jack

btw so you're implicitly saying IIThess.2:4, 11, 12 is not occurring at this present moment?
I think you should reread what I posted.

Upvote 0

WatchmansMoon

Jul 2, 2013
✟7,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe, but Christ told us "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." If we can strive for that above all else, especially in loving others more than ourselves, wouldn't our failure to agree on all matters of interpretation fall to the wayside?

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I have to say, I agree with this. There are those on each denomination that are truly saved, and there are others who are not. Faith, love and God, know no denominational boundaries!

I did the highlighting

"I agree with this," however will let it go, ie, thank you anyway.

Your new friend,

Jack

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I don't know of ANY protestant churches who disagree on John 3:16.

Do you?

There is a Reformed group, forget which group now, that don't view "world" in Jn.3:16 = / = all the world of men. I'll check my old old notes somewhere? Sorry, messed this one up, ie, = / =

Old Jack

Sorry, just remembered more to do with "whoever" iin Jn.3:16.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MJohn7

Dec 23, 2013
✟2,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it a myth? I suppose it would depend on what one defines as "essentials". What ought Protestants agree upon in order for them to be considered to be agreeing upon "essentials"? Additionally, why would those things be considered "essentials" rather than "non essentials" and would Protestants agree with you about which are which to the point they would be forced to admit they did not agree on "essentials"?

Im not trying to be disrespectful, but i think the error here is in our thinking. Protestants vs RC/EO is carnal thinking. We either study the scriptures and are lead by the spirit or we are not. Christ isnt divided, carnal men are divided. Im not Protestant, im a follower of Christ.

John 14:
23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You'll sometimes read about protestants, when pressed about how to tell what is the right thing to believe, or how to interpret the bible, fall back on an unscriptural, unhistorical, unsupportable, illogical notion:

While we may disagree on certain things, those which are truly important and necessary to salvation are clear.

I suppose I could go on and on... but in the end, there is nothing that is agreed upon.
:)
What is agreed upon in orthodox Christianity, at least as far as the essentials, is that Jesus was born of a virgin, preached the Gospel of eternal life, was delivered up to be crucified, died and was buried
He arose from the dead and ascended to the right hand of YAHWEH, His Father :bow:

John 19:11
Jesus answered, "thou would have no authority against Me, if it were not having been given thee from above;
because of this, he who is delivering Me up to thee hath greater sin.'
15 Those yet cry-out "take-away! take-away! crucify! Him".
Pilate is saying to them "the King of ye I shall be crucifying?"
Answered the Chief-priests "not we are having a King except Caesar!"

Reve 6:16
And they are saying to the mountains and to the rocks "be falling on us! and hide us! from face of the One sitting upon the Throne,
and from the wrath of the Lamb"
[Hosea 10:8/Luke 23:30]

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM

An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF
CHRISTIANITY

.......The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover ;
and it is deserving of the very particular attention of the reader, that this was the anniversary of that memorable period in which the Jews crucified their Messiah!........

The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins ; and the Roman army as in triumph on the event, came and reared their ensigns against a fragment of the eastern gate, and, with sacrifices of thanksgiving, proclaimed the imperial majesty of Titus, with every possible demonstration of joy.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Rhamiel
there is a myth that Protestants agree on "essentials"
Originally Posted by grasping the after wind
Is it a myth? I suppose it would depend on what one defines as "essentials". What ought Protestants agree upon in order for them to be considered to be agreeing upon "essentials"?
Additionally, why would those things be considered "essentials" rather than "non essentials" and would Protestants agree with you about which are which to the point they would be forced to admit they did not agree on "essentials"?

I don't know of ANY protestant churches who disagree on John 3:16.

Do you?
Maybe a translation problem? :confused:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7720091-9/#post62292272
John 3:16 corrected

Greek New Testament - Parallel Greek New Testament by John Hurt

Young's Literal Translation
3:16 for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave,
that every one who is believing in Him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus
outwV gar hgaphsen o qeoV ton kosmon wste ton uion autou ton monogenh edwken ina paV o pisteuwn eiV auton mh apolhtai all ech zwhn aiwnion

Scrivener 1894 Textus Receptus
outwV gar hgaphsen o qeoV ton kosmon wste ton uion autou ton monogenh edwken ina paV o pisteuwn eiV auton mh apolhtai all ech zwhn aiwnion

Byzantine Majority

Alexandrian
outwV gar hgaphsen o qeoV ton kosmon wste ton uion ton monogenh edwken ina paV o pisteuwn eiV auton mh apolhtai all ech zwhn aiwnion

Hort and Westcott
outwV gar hgaphsen o qeoV ton kosmon wste ton uion ton monogenh edwken ina paV o pisteuwn eiV auton mh apolhtai all ech zwhn aiwnion

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm a Young's believer(Jn.3:16), however not young for sure, but maybe it's more of an interpretive problem? :blush:

Possibly Jesus here tells Nicodemus that the Son of man must be lifted up for the following purpose indicated, ie, Jn.3:16.

Jesus sums up the entire Gospel in one lovely sentence.

Sum broken down into its parts: "instant of faith" (Mk.1:15b) + "born anew" (Jn.3:3, 5)

Just another view,

Jack

Upvote 0

MrLuther

In the Lord I'll be ever thankful
Oct 2, 2013
✟16,115.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Actually, adults with much greater credentials than you or I have been reasoning this for centuries. :amen:

Cognitive dissonance.

Or we may need to accept the truth first.

Yeah, but since most of the world's Christians are caught up in an organization that claims to be THE ONLY ONE AND TRUE CHURCH (tm) based on nothing but its own word, the collective "we" accepting the truth is a long way off.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cognitive dissonance.

Yeah, but since most of the world's Christians are caught up in an organization that claims to be THE ONLY ONE AND TRUE CHURCH (tm) based on nothing but its own word, the collective "we" accepting the truth is a long way off.

The fact is....in Heaven all will be one faith. All will profess the fullness of truth. The faith will be shall I say...."Universal":D

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact is....in Heaven all will be one faith. All will profess the fullness of truth. The faith will be shall I say...."Universal":D

Soo...everyone in heaven is a Unitarian Universalist. ;)

Watch what you name your denomination. It determines who gets into heaven. :doh:

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
MKJ said:
First of al, not all Protestants would say that all agree on the essentials. Secondly, even those that do, if pressed a bit, would probaby say it is possible for people to stray so far that they simply move outside of the Church. They might say, for example, that JWs are in that position. Those people would not be included in the idea that all Christians are protected on the essentials. Thirdly, as far as the people who might say that there is protection on the essentials, I don't think any would consider even one of the items on the OP list as essential. They might say they are important questions, but not essential. What would be essential, in the view of such people, would be faith in Christ, or maybe even hope that they can be/are saved by God, or willingness to accept God's love when they see it being offered. That leaves a pretty wide field I would say. Fourthly - I have no doubt that there are people out there that could be tied in knots with this question, that cannot think clearly about the implications of their theology, or get confused about theological ideas. That is because they are not people who are good at thinking, or they haven't had the opportunity to learn or learn good theology. That is ok, those people exist in every group, and we shouldn't use their confusion as a straw man, or to beat them up with. Not only because it would be uncharitable, but if we rounded up those people from every religious group, we would all look like our theology was totally incoherent, no matter what group we belong to.
This

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

MrLuther

In the Lord I'll be ever thankful
Oct 2, 2013
✟16,115.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Yes, universal. Not just pretend-universal, and populated by one group who has made a claim to being THE church, based only on their own claims to that, using the mother of all circular arguments.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes, universal. Not just pretend-universal, and populated by one group who has made a claim to being THE church, based only on their own claims to that, using the mother of all circular arguments.
AKA "Lutheran" :holy: ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Lighten up.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You'll sometimes read about protestants, when pressed about how to tell what is the right thing to believe, or how to interpret the bible, fall back on an unscriptural, unhistorical, unsupportable, illogical notion:

While we may disagree on certain things, those which are truly important and necessary to salvation are clear.

Really?
You don't agree on so these aren't important:

Communion:
Symbol that can be celebrated every so often - memorial to be celebrated every week - quasi-sacrament of unknown spiritual important - body and body of Christ with or without bread and wine mixed in.

Baptism:
True baptism happens when God send the holy spirit upon you and cleanses you and water baptism is just a profession of faith which may be very important or completely unnecessary - baptism is somewhat important but God cares more about what is in your heart - you should get baptized but its no an important part of your journey to God - baptism is a sacrament or isn't and you need it to be initiated into the fiath

Church:
Having a faith community is totally unimportant, all I need is my bible - church is good and all not really important - church is kinda important - church is very helpful if not essential for developing as a community, such as those early churches

Trinity
Trinity doesn't matter - Father, Son, and HS are all the same person just different hats - they are different persons of one substance - (all kinds of other bizarre beliefs)

Jesus
Jesus is a demigod - Jesus just appeared as human - Jesus was God's puppet - Jesus was the Son of God in true flesh

Free will
There is no free will personal choices are really God's - There is free will and personal choices are your own

Salvation
Salvation is permanent - Salvation is kinda permanent - Salvation must be continually worked on to be saved forever in the end

Marriage
If you remarry anyone (also except for such and such reason), you are committing adultery - you can remarry all you want for anyone reason

I suppose I could go on and on... but in the end, there is nothing that is agreed upon.
Yup.
Not sure,... are you sayin' that like it's a bad thing?

^_^

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lighten up.

God Bless

Kinda hard to lighten up when what he's posted is really the truth.

I once asked a Catholic, why do you believe this? And he answered "because it's what the Catholic Church teaches". The belief in question was Papal Authority.

Circular logic!

Upvote 0