Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
✟8,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<snip>
"I am not a partisan. I am a Christian. I am not defending the Republican party. I am opposing the co-opting of my Lord and Savior as a cheap partisan symbol and a political spokesman for an anti-Christian agenda dressed up as a form of Christianity but rooted in a sliding scale of principles.
It is possible to be a saved Christian and be a Democrat. Being a Christian means trusting in the Shed Blood of Christ for one's personal salvation. But it is NOT possible to be a good Democrat without opposing the central teachings of Christianity.
If you are going to claim Him, claim Him as your personal Savior. Don't try to claim Him as your political savior. It cheapens Him -- and it cheapens you.
God promises; "If My people, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (2nd Chronicles 7:14)
God uses the conditional; 'if'. That means there is an opposite promise as well. If 'His people' don't, then He won't, either.
Since I live here, that makes it personal."

http://www.omegaletter.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=5966

Reactions: Voegelin

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat &lt;[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"I am not a partisan. I am a Christian. I am not defending the Republican party. I am opposing the co-opting of my Lord and Savior as a cheap partisan symbol and a political spokesman for an anti-Christian agenda dressed up as a form of Christianity but rooted in a sliding scale of principles.

So, our friend begins his diatribe with a cheap, but typically unsubstantiated claim that Democratic leaders who claim to be both liberal and Christian are in fact "anti-Christian" and that their policies are rooted in a sliding scale of principles. If you don't like Democrats in the first place, then it probably sounds great - but that doesn't mean there's anything true about it.

It is possible to be a saved Christian and be a Democrat.

At least our friend can cover his bases... just giving what he likely sees as being a pretty rare "what if" scenario.

Being a Christian means trusting in the Shed Blood of Christ for one's personal salvation. But it is NOT possible to be a good Democrat without opposing the central teachings of Christianity.

Being a Christian involves believing in quite a few things. They're all listed in the Nicene Creed, and this forum seems to happily agree with me.

Now, how is it impossible to be a good Democrat without opposing the central teachings of Christianity? Better yet, what is it that makes the Democratic Party opposed to the central teachings of Christianity. This article is completely bereft of substance, and I'm suprised anybody reads the rot.

If you are going to claim Him, claim Him as your personal Savior. Don't try to claim Him as your political savior. It cheapens Him -- and it cheapens you.
God promises; "If My people, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (2nd Chronicles 7:14)
God uses the conditional; 'if'. That means there is an opposite promise as well. If 'His people' don't, then He won't, either.
Since I live here, that makes it personal."

There's a pretty clear double standard here though... this statement really only applies to Democrats. If Republicans want to claim that God is on their side - go right ahead.

I believe that all of my political goals are bent towards making this world a better place, and summarily closer to God's image. How does it cheapen God to admit that He inspires my beliefs?

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
He forgot to mention that God supports the death penalty, the right to bear arms, and the right to force your religion down others throats through government endorsement.

For begin such a good 'Christian', this guy seems to avoid much of Christs message and reserves his condemnation for those who he disagrees with politically.

He is what he hates.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I get emails all the time from Democrats who jump all over me, telling me that they are life-long Christians and saying 'how dare I suggest that being a Christian and being a Democrat are mutually exclusive?' Did I say that? (I believe it, but I don't remember saying so. No matter. I am saying so now.)

He was pushed into it. Bet he had years of those emails.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I am not a partisan. I am a Christian. I am not defending the Republican party

This guy is a tool. He doesnt defend the repubs, he just writes about the demonizing the democrats.
Another partisan for the republicans using God against democrats.

I know this tactic, because I use it all the time, and this guy isn't fooling anybody.

Upvote 0