Mar 4, 2008
✟8,376.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you guys think of this bible. I downloaded an audio version of the bible and I must say Im really impressed, espesially with understanding the OT better. Its a paraphrase but I was impressed with it. I hear some people don't like and others love it. It seems like a good bible to start for younger people who have trouble understanding the more literal versions.

What is your review of "The Message"

calluna

Apr 23, 2008
✟17,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
What do you guys think of this bible. I downloaded an audio version of the bible and I must say Im really impressed, espesially with understanding the OT better. Its a paraphrase but I was impressed with it. I hear some people don't like and others love it. It seems like a good bible to start for younger people who have trouble understanding the more literal versions.

Perhaps this thread can be for Catholics.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gordon Fee's basic assessment was that it can be very insightful and provide useful fresh perspectives, but that it is too idiosyncratic and "free" to be one's "main" translation. From the portions I've used, I'd agree with him.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

i think this is a difficult issue.... if the bible is given to new believers to make there lives easy and their church does not provide good solid teaching, they are doomed to learn some serious misunderstanding of scripture (but that is the nature of paraphrases).

I would recommend a good reasonably understandable 'formal' translation for 'study' and 'the message' or otherwise for everyday reading.

Personally I think it is awful and misconstrues a lot of passages, but then again I am a fan of the complete Jewish bible (some may level the same charge against that but then again you can get a decent commentary to accompany it which explains why it translates the way it does - i have yet to see one for most other bibles on the market.)

Steve

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
But that's just it, The Message is not a translation, it's a paraphrase (and should be thought of as such).

that's the problem though, most churches do not teach things like the difference between translation and paraphrase, or even why the canon is the way it is. Maybe when they address these issues, other things will become less problematic.

Steve

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I myself love the Message, It really has helped me understand the bible alot better. Its definatly a great addition, just don't use it as a main bible. Espesially for someone who is new to the bible and has a hard time understanding or young children. I just finished the Book of Job in the Message and it definatly touched my spirit. So don't be too quick to judge it.

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I enjoy it and utilize it when reading for personal fulfillment and pleasure. For actual study, though, I use my good ol' NASB (or RSV, whichever's closer at hand).

Personally, I see no problem with it, as long as it's status and function is understood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Indeed, the paraphrase has its place. But people do need to be taught how to distinguish beween a paraphrase and a translation and to appreciate each for what they are.

Simonline.
Along with that they also need to recognise that these aren't black-and-white categories, all paraphrases (of the bible) involve translation, and all translations involve a degree of paraphrasing. And all translations of whatever flavour involve a degree of decision and interpretation by the translator(s). But there does come a point when the "person in the pew" only needs to get to grips with so much technicality - the bible itself is the means to an end, not the end in itself. The Message has brought countless people closer to God and, in the end, that's what its all about.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.