✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Archie said:
What is 'needed' is the Seventh Day. The 'day' God rested. How long did that 'day' last?
mark kennedy said:
24 hours, by what criteria does 'day' not mean 'day'?
So, by your answer, God 'rested' ONLY twenty-four hours. Logically, He resumed 'work' on the eighth day, then. This contradicts the Biblical statements that God made everything in SIX days and doesn't create anything anymore?

mark kennedy said:
...by what criteria does 'day' not mean 'day'?
Do dictionaries count as 'criteria'?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, by your answer, God 'rested' ONLY twenty-four hours. Logically, He resumed 'work' on the eighth day, then. This contradicts the Biblical statements that God made everything in SIX days and doesn't create anything anymore?

No, by my answer day means day which is 24 hours.

Do dictionaries count as 'criteria'?

Yes...

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, by my answer day means day which is 24 hours.
Such an anachronistic definition to apply to Hebrew Scriptures, not saying that it isn't somewhat analogous to how they would have defined it but they dealt with mornings and evenings as their defining parameters for days, the length of time between each evening is not the same length, but this is just niggles as I wait for you to reply to my last post.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Such an anachronistic definition to apply to Hebrew Scriptures, not saying that it isn't somewhat analogous to how they would have defined it but they dealt with mornings and evenings as their defining parameters for days, the length of time between each evening is not the same length, but this is just niggles as I wait for you to reply to my last post.

I don't know about your last post but the fact that you think you can redefine words means you have no regard for the intent of the authors original indent, or the divine revelation it communicates.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Rev 12:1
And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

That's Israel.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about your last post but the fact that you think you can redefine words means you have no regard for the intent of the authors original indent, or the divine revelation it communicates.

I'm not redefining, I'm letting him define for me, there is a difference, the author's intent is to talk about a Hebrew day which is not always 24hrs.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The idea of God "intervening" in creation is aBiblical, he intervenes in human history you're right, but he upholds and sustains creation.

That does not mean continuous creating. Right?
God does not NEED to create anything more after the Day Six. Right?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Science-ism tell us that there is no God and that billions and billions of years ago a comet killed off the dinosaurs . this comet was a earth killer..

they can't prove it .

this is just people and greeky sofistry and their definitions is always the issue! so let define "intervention" and "creation", and "work ".

but I can prove God used the moon two times at least to rearrange the configuration of this earth.
is that creation?

Absolutely not.
Otherwise, everything could be a new creation. I can even create.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That does not mean continuous creating. Right?
God does not NEED to create anything more after the Day Six. Right?

It depends on how you define a creative act, is a woman's pregnancy a creative act? Scripture says yes. And it says that God is in control. All that happens happens because God willed it to happen, is this a creative act?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
progmonk said:
Let's try this again...
Same results, ProgMonk. The 'ignorance is holiness' faction has once again turned this into a mess.

I find it amazing. Christians like you attempt some form of rational and polite discussion. Immediately, the promoters of ignorance appear and work to derail the discussion by starting a rather vulgar brawl. None of them will honestly answer a question, none of them will read and attempt to comprehend an answer.

In another similar thread, I offered to pray for all. (Which I have been doing.) One or two other Christians agreed. NOT ONE of the pro-ignorance faction even acknowledged the suggestion. Very telling.

ProgMonk, I will happily discuss things with you. But it is clearly pointless to engage with those who simply chant their mantra and ignore reality.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To be fair Archie, arguments from semantic tradition are not quite the same as ignorance and while there have been some on the thread that were trying to drag it off topic through redherrings, I would say that it has been a better discussion on the topic than last time.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

It depends on how you define a creative act, is a woman's pregnancy a creative act? Scripture says yes. And it says that God is in control. All that happens happens because God willed it to happen, is this a creative act?

even what is going on there genetically in the womb , is just like a math equation and is with in certain laws and boundaries , all repeatable all predictable.. , it is NOT magic!

but a lawful act with in the boundaries of his laws of his first acts at creation.

thus he is just working or building with the blocks he already created .
IE spit and dirt = eyes because it is all about laws. of which Jesus knew all the laws of his creation.
he is always lawful and doesn't not violate even his own laws or no life, no sight etc could exists.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
even what is going on there genetically in the womb , is just like a math equation and is with in certain laws and boundaries , all repeatable all predictable.. , it is NOT magic!

but a lawful act with in the boundaries of his laws of his first acts at creation.

thus he is just working or building with the blocks he already created .
IE spit and dirt = eyes because it is all about laws. of which Jesus knew all the laws of his creation.
he is always lawful and doesn't not violate even his own laws or no life, no sight etc could exists.

I reject your deism, it's not Christian or Scriptural

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

No, creation is the same kind of miracle as the incarnation, resurrection and being born again, aka regeneration. You can't equivocate procreation with a miracle even though God controls both.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, creation is the same kind of miracle as the incarnation, resurrection and being born again, aka regeneration. You can't equivocate procreation with a miracle even though God controls both.

Psalm 139, take it up with Scripture.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is 'needed' is the Seventh Day. The 'day' God rested. How long did that 'day' last?

Forever. Is it not?
God does not even need to work to capture satan in the future. Angels, He created, can do that.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No. All you said are not creative acts. They are maintenance acts.
Judge it this way: if a process does not need or does not make anything NEW, then it is not creative. Recycle or reproduction does not make any new material/process. WWII was not created. Obama is not created.

Upvote 0