Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St George is a very popular saint. There are probably more greek churches named after St George than St Peter.
The reason for this is simple, George is the most common greek name amongst males. Pretty popular among females as well; Yioryia.

Many female saints (atleast in the greek tradition) are extremely popular as well. Women tend to safeguard and attend church (especially during times of persecution) more than men, so when a female saints feast day comes around the church's dedicated to them burst at the seams. This would include St Paraskevi, St Irene Chrysovolandou, St Markella, etc.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been around, but sparingly. I just moved into a new house and the logic board on my computer decided to go up in smoke, so it took a while to get it repaired.
It is good to see you!

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
St George is a very popular saint. There are probably more greek churches named after St George than St Peter.
The reason for this is simple, George is the most common greek name amongst males. Pretty popular among females as well; Yioryia.

Many female saints (atleast in the greek tradition) are extremely popular as well. Women tend to safeguard and attend church (especially during times of persecution) more than men, so when a female saints feast day comes around the church's dedicated to them burst at the seams. This would include St Paraskevi, St Irene Chrysovolandou, St Markella, etc.

Yes, George is a very very common Greek name. I go many times to a nearby Greek Monastery and when the Priest is praying for the dead, the whole commemoration list consists of "Georgios, Georgios,Georgios,Georgios,Georgios... Eleni Eleni Eleni, Maria, Maria... Georgios Georgios Georgios Georgios!!"

LoL

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Here are the icons I have in the icon corner in my room:

The Theotokos
St. Seraphim of Sarov
The Ladder of Divine Accent
Christ Pantocrator
The Resurrection
St. Nicholas
St. George
The Life Giving Tree
St. John the Baptist
Russian style cross (Same as Rob has)
Prophet Elias
The Decent from the Cross
The Synaxis of the Saints of America
St. Andrew (my patron Saint)

iconscopyug0.jpg

The icon corner isn't exactly finished. I just put this one together. I want to get a few more icons and a vigil lamp for it.

I also have other icons hanging on the walls of my room such as Christ Blessing, Prophet Jonah (patron Saint of my nephew which I plan to move to my icon corner), St. James (gift I got for my Chrismation and first Confession), and the 40 Martyrs of Sabaste.

Very beautiful! I'd love to see your icon wall when it's finished too.

Also, the synaxis of North America seems to be on most people's walls. :thumbsup: I have to add that the North American Saints are highly venerated at my end.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.