Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have always recited the apostle's creed with "holy catholic church". I am Methodist (GMC), but my child goes to an LCMS elementary school and after the Christmas program the apostles creed was said with this part as the "holy christian church". None of this bothers me. I see no serious issues with the distinction. We (GMC) even have an asterisk in our church bulletins for the service explaining that this does not refer to the Roman Catholic Church. It just threw me for a loop, considering the Lutheran church is probably the closest to Catholics when it comes to the eucharist, and that your more liberal denomination (ELCA) uses the word catholic in the creed. So just curious if there is an explanation?

Thanks

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I for one would have no problem if catholic was used. I was raised LCMS, attended an ELCA church for a couple of years(where we did
use catholic and I liked it.) and am now WELS for the last 30 years. Personally I think it's because confessional Lutheranism and Lutheranism
in general were the first denomination to split from the Catholic Church and so therefore didn't want the word "catholic." in their confessions.
I personally think it's it's nitpicking but I keep quiet about it. Catholic with a small c means universal.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is also common in certain Reformed churches (like the UCC), to replace "Catholic" with "Christian". It seems to be a Protestant thing, with only Episcopalians/Anglicans and some Lutherans keeping the traditional language.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been to multiple ELCA, LCMS, UMC, UMC that are now GMC and independent Methodist churches and I have never seen them change it. Honestly it seems lazy to change it for the reason of misconstruing it with the RCC, anyone that makes that mistake was poorly catechized and could be instructed easily enough with an * as some churches do in the handout.

The other churches, aside from the RCC, that I have been to just don't say the creed, so I don't know what they would do. That would include SDA, SBC and AOG churches.

Upvote 0