New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Half-Empty Bed

Jill opened her still sleepy eyes and faced the empty part of the bed where Jack used to sleep. As was often the case, it was enough to jar Jill completely awake.

It had been six weeks since Jack left, but Jill still had trouble facing the fact that she might have to spend the rest of her life alone. Alone, and only thirty-two years of age.

As far as Jill could tell, Jack had not left her for another woman. That was one reason it had been so difficult for Jill to handle.

“Will memories of the good times be all I’ll have left?” Jill asked herself as she thought back to all the kidding she and Jack took after they started dating.

“Remember, Jill, don’t follow Jack up any hills,” chirped one friend kiddingly.

And when they decided to get married another friend harped, “Are you sure you want to do this? You know what it means, don’t you? Wherever Jack goes, you have to go tumbling after.”

Jill wasn’t even sure where Jack had gone. Oh she knew he had taken a small apartment while he sorted out his thoughts, but Jill had no idea what any of Jack’s thoughts were. She had not heard from him, except when he stopped by to pick up Courtney. He always seemed uncomfortable whenever he stopped by for her.

The sad part was that Jill still loved Jack. She could not think of anything major that either of them had done wrong.

He always went to work, but never stayed late. He always had time for Courtney. He never drank and he was not abusive to her or Courtney.

“But we’ve drifted apart over the ten years we’ve been married,” Jill thought to herself.

Jill looked at the clock. It had been over thirty minutes since she first awakened and began to think of Jack. Still, she did not yet feel like getting out of bed.

“But I must get out of bed. I have to try to put this out of my mind and think of Courtney. I know all of this has been so rough on her. A six year-old does not understand when her parents suddenly split up.”

Jill’s misery was interrupted by a knock at the door. She wiped her tears and called out, “Come in, Sweetheart.”

Courtney opened the door and Jill was taken aback by the smile on Courtney’s face.

“What are you so happy about?” her mother asked.

“Daddy’s on the phone, and he wants to talk to you.”

The words excited Jill, but she did not want to get her hopes up until she found out what Jack wanted. She slipped on her robe and hurried to the phone.

“Hi, Jack. Courtney said you had something you wanted to talk to me about.”

“That’s right, Jill, but I don’t know where to begin.”

“Just say what’s on your mind, Jack. I’ll listen.”

“Okay, Jill. Jill, I’ve been thinking about us a lot ever since I left. I don’t know how to explain it. I haven’t been happy these last few months, but I still love you, and you know how much I love Courtney.”

“Oh, Jack! I still love you, too!”

“Jill, I think I’d like for us to try to be a family again, but I don’t want to go on the way we’ve been. I’ve felt an emptiness for quite some time. I can’t go on that way. I don’t think you know this, but three weeks ago I started going to church. It’s a small church, so not only did I meet the pastor, but we’ve gotten to know each other a little bit. Jill, I’d like for you and Courtney to go to church with me this coming Sunday. While I don’t think we’re bad people, I think our main problem has been that we don’t have a relationship with God. Now you don’t have to answer me right now if you don’t want to, you can think about....”

“Oh, Jack I don’t need to think about it! Of course Courtney and I will go to church with you this Sunday! I’ve been thinking we needed to start going to church, but I was afraid you were against it, so I never mentioned it.”

“That’s been another one of our problems, Jill. We never took the time to talk about important things.”

“Oh, I know that now, Jack.”

“Is it okay if I stop by and pick you up a little after ten, or would you rather meet me at the church?”

“Of course you can stop by. You can even stop by or call before Sunday. Oh, Jack! I love you!”

“I love you, too, Jill! Oh, Jill! We have so much to talk about. I was thinking the three of us could go out to eat after church, and then it would be nice if we could figure out how you and I could get some time alone so we could talk.”

“How about if you check with your mother to see if Courtney could spend the night with her?”

Copyright 2002 Steve Demaree

=====

Steve Demaree

1608 Summerhill Drive

Lexington, KY 40515

(606) 271-2416

moviesteve@rocketmail.com

Submitted By Richard