Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Where are all the people that complained about Obama ruining our standing in the world?

Those loonies have more important things to do than care about what foreigners actually think.

It would matter if it wasn't coming from people who think that every American is an obese, undereducated hillbilly who lives off a strict Mcdonalds cheeseburger diet. These are the same self righteous people who pass judgement on others and view themselves as superior. Superficial blowhards they are themselves.

Or, you know, concerned people who see the world's greatest nuclear superpower struggling with a completely dysfunctional government, deep political divides, and a presidential candidate who is both almost uniquely unqualified and uniquely terrifying. Trump is a grade-A demagogue. His policy proposals? They're crap. No, really, they're incredibly bad. But his supporters don't support him because he has actual solutions. They support him because he's going to "make America great again". No idea how, he just is. Because reasons. Meanwhile, many of his proposals are shockingly fascist, he's proposing a major overhaul of the international political order kept in place pretty much since the 50s, and more violence in the middle east. He's actively courted the white supremacist and islamophobe vote. He's run the most fact-free candidacy in history, essentially rejecting the entire concept of "facts" by absolutely refusing to step down from any position or claim, no matter how absurd - and people love him for it!

His is a candidacy based almost entirely on anger, but without any meaningful way to channel this anger or any goal beyond smash stuff and become more isolated. We've seen this before. Populist charismatic candidates acting as demagogues for the fears of the "little people" they couldn't care less about... This is not normal. This is not okay. And the rest of the world sees it. Most Americans see it. And what's your response? Not to actually address the comments in any meaningful way, but to instead to bash those holding these opinions as foreign America-haters who we shouldn't listen to anyways. Classy.

Oh, yes believe me. Ive heard their mouths increase in volume when they criticize Americans as they eat their salmon topped bagels. Anyone who eats fish at 6 o'clock in the morning is just showing off.

...Baltimore and New York jews? I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of people kvetsching about the government in that crowd, but I don't think they count as foreigners.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, even from people who don't think that every American is an obese, undereducated hillbilly who subsists on McDonalds...

Trump. Really? A serious contender for president?

Why??

- A wall between America and Mexico? (Because that worked so well in other places... oh wait... )
- More military presence in the South China Sea to intimidate China? (Because that's really going to make them want to come to the negotiating table)
- No gun control (Sorry guys, but the rest of the world thinks America is nuts about its guns)
- He does say something about needing to improve mental health care (good) but I notice no detail and on how hit will be achieved. And given that at the same time he wants to repeal the Affordable Health Care act, I'm guessing there'll be plenty of potential gun criminals who won't have the health insurance needed to access that improved mental health care (even if they would have chosen to). I mention that because he has the section on improved mental health care under his position on second amendment rights, as if he thinks better mental health care will mean less deaths.
- Detention of refugees? (Concentration camps for those trying to flee oppression and violence. Awesome display of humanity there. And yeah, I know, Australia already has mandatory detention, and it's pretty damned awful. Don't go there).

And so on. Seriously, I'm not even talking superficial stuff like the fact that the guy seems to worship his own ego. He doesn't have much in the way of policy that's at all admirable.

So why is America even taking him seriously? Do they really think he wants this for any other reason than self-aggrandisement?

I have to giggle about some of your points, because I haven't heard many of them before. Sounds like your media is about as good as our's is. I'm no Trump fan, but there are plenty of inaccuracies in what you wrote.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I get it that it's currently trendy to criticize any leader who wants to help his country above others. I know it's 'cool' to call that person a fascist. It's popular to compare him to Hitler or some other God aweful Nationalist like Stalin or Mussolini, or some other European monster.
I'd say the far better parallel is Berlusconi. Obviously not Hitler or Mussolini, but trust me, you don't want someone like that as president.

...and the fact that non-Americans care so much about the American election (while we here almost never do the same in reverse) only proves the point that they're afraid of the gravy train ending for them if Trump is elected.
Or, you know, that they care about the highest military and political position in the world's largest economy, strongest military power, et cetera, et cetera. Dude, let's be clear. The 2008 financial collapse started with the US. With US government policy. With US firms. It cratered the world economy in a way many places are feeling almost a decade later. Is it any wonder that when the guys in the giant robot suit put up a vote as to who drives the thing, the people on the ground pay attention and worry when they start cheering on the guy who is clearly pants-crappingly drunk?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Or, you know, that they care about the highest military and political position in the world's largest economy, strongest military power, et cetera, et cetera. Dude, let's be clear.
Well, if that's the case, what sense do you see in them tolerating Obama, who has cut our national defense forces to their lowest levels in decades and followed a foreign policy of appeasement, while wringing their hands over Trump, who has promised to rebuild our forces and be effective in the fight against terrorism?? There isn't any.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Baltimore and New York jews? I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of people kvetsching about the government in that crowd, but I don't think they count as foreigners.

With a thick German accent? I think not. No, these were foreigners, and I even agreed with them for a minute until my wife gave me the tilted lip. Then I realized they were just haters eating at Einstein Bagels because they had to.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
With a thick German accent? I think not. No, these were foreigners, and I even agreed with them for a minute until my wife gave me the tilted lip. Then I realized they were just haters eating at Einstein Bagels because they had to.
So, were these 'America-haters' visiting America?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, if that's the case, what sense do you see in them tolerating Obama, who has cut our national defense forces to their lowest levels in decades and followed a foreign policy of appeasement, while wringing their hands over Trump, who has promised to rebuild our forces and be effective in the fight against terrorism?? There isn't any.

"Appeasement"?

This is another one of those posts that is so fundamentally, fractally wrong that it would take more effort than I care to invest to get to the bottom of the flaws. Not even the basic logic makes sense - "Our allies are worried about Trump's isolationism, so why are they wringing their hands over Trump ramping up our military?" And have you considered that part of the reason they're wringing their hands over Trump is that they don't trust him to do a decent job with it? Because he's a populist blowhard whose policy proposals to date could be best summed up by that scene from "the Visit" where an old man throws a soiled adult diaper at the protagonist?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, were these 'America-haters' visiting America?

I didn't say they were "America-haters", but they sure were disgusted about the way we eat... I mean, they were so loud about it -obviously they were trying to make a statement. Obvious show-offs teaching us about their superior culture.

...Now they want to teach us how to vote, how to think, how to eat... Sheesh.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I didn't say they were "America-haters", but they sure were disgusted about the way we eat... I mean, they were so loud about it -obviously they were trying to make a statement. Obvious show-offs teaching us about their superior culture.

...Now they want to teach us how to vote, how to think, how to eat... Sheesh.
You described them as 'haters'. My point is that, it's unlikely they hate America, if they chose to visit.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Appeasement"?
Yep. I'd say that's the right word. What's more, I wouldn't use it if it were NOT the case that the administration has done it again and again and again. By now, it's not possible reasonably to excuse the decisions as simple mistakes or miscalculations or anything like that.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I get it that it's currently trendy to criticize any leader who wants to help his country above others.

It's not enough to want to do it; one needs to have a competent plan to do it right.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even though one of Trump's claims is that the rest of the world will respect him.
Our allies will have a really, really great relationship with Trump. It'll be so fantastic, so good. He knows so much about trade and really respects Putin. China will be no problem, he understands China really well. Now, China knows how to build a wall.

It'll be the greatest foreign policy in the entire history of foreign policy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like a lot of foreign governments and people are alarmed at the possibility that "Uncle Sap" will cease to be the free cookie jar for the rest of the world at the expense of its own people.
Just about the first sensible reply here.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,873.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Our allies will have a really, really great relationship with Trump. It'll be so fantastic, so good. He knows so much about trade and really respects Putin. China will be no problem, he understands China really well. Now, China knows how to build a wall.

It'll be the greatest foreign policy in the entire history of foreign policy.
Donald is that You?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Maybe they are just sorry that we will have a president who will not genuflect to our enemies while turning his back on our allies.
Considering that the people decrying trump are generally your allies, that seems unlikely.

Upvote 0