Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There seems to be a modern trend that it is
Uncool to promote this evidential gift.
Many shake rattle and roll in modern "Charismania" ,but not so many break out in tongues...
Its almost like it's being discouraged .

I can see why the enemy would want it silenced .I mean,direct Holy Spirit inspired communication intercession and declaration with and of God... yup,I can see how the adversary would want that stopped.

But what think you....
Is there a trend making it "Untrendy" to encourage seeking this (and all) gift.??

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has been since the beginning (Acts 2:13 "Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine)."

and from the looks of it - always will be until the end BUT

"Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit." "... another divers kinds of tongues; ... (I Cor 12:4, 10).

yes, I agree with your observation.

Tongues are a sign to unbelievers of believers. (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) this contrast with the emphasis to not speak in tongues. All tongues can be interpreted (I Cor 14:13).

Paul wrote "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue." I Cor 14:19 THREE verses down he also wrote "22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" How can they be a sign if they're not spoken. Clearly, we've emphasized v 19 and basically ignored v 22.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There seems to be a modern trend that it is
Uncool to promote this evidential gift.
Many shake rattle and roll in modern "Charismania" ,but not so many break out in tongues...
Its almost like it's being discouraged .

I can see why the enemy would want it silenced .I mean,direct Holy Spirit inspired communication intercession and declaration with and of God... yup,I can see how the adversary would want that stopped.

But what think you....
Is there a trend making it "Untrendy" to encourage seeking this (and all) gift.??

Why do you think it's necessary to speak in tongues. when we have the Bible written in everyone's language now, so no point in having someone babble forth something they cannot even understand themselves, when we can read what's God's word is saying.

(1 Corinthians 13:8) 8 Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease;

That is why this scripture is so true.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think it's necessary to speak in tongues. when we have the Bible written in everyone's language now, so no point in having someone babble forth something they cannot even understand themselves, when we can read what's God's word is saying.

(1 Corinthians 13:8) 8 Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease;

Indeed, the Word is true... So when does the Word say they will cease?

1 Cor. 13
8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2013
✟15,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, the Word is true... So when does the Word say they will cease?

1 Cor. 13
8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

I thought that would be obvious to you, if we can see what Paul is saying at verse 11, about reasoning like a child.

When Christian congregation was in it's infancy it was witnessing to people of different languages which was not down in writing in their language, so the gift was necessary, but not today.

The Bible is just perfect in every way, no need for human babble.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"There seems to be a modern trend that it is Uncool to promote this evidential gift."

Thomas Trask (AG General Supervisor '93 - '07) made the statement probably 15 years ago that: "IF THE PRESENT TREND CONTINUES - the AG will be "Pentecostal in name only" in a decade".

The trend DID continue, and in the Greater Dallas Area, AG churches of all sizes are pretty much like Baptist churches that forgot to change out their sign. We don't preach AGAINST "giftings", but we've become de-facto cessationists.

But the simple FACT appears to be the God is NOT "Burdening" folks to speak in tongues in their meetings, NOR to manifest any OTHER Gifting, generally.

WHY?? is the burning question that Dr Woods (Present General Super of the AG) was/is trying to assess. Simple answer - we don't KNOW why.

"Its almost like it's being discouraged."

And It IS being discouraged actively in the larger churches - probably for fear of "Losing Control", as a result of the generally LOUSY, inadequate, and just plain WRONG teaching and instruction that Pentecostals have done over he years.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I thought that would be obvious to you, if we can see what Paul is saying at verse 11, about reasoning like a child.

When Christian congregation was in it's infancy it was witnessing to people of different languages which was not down in writing in their language, so the gift was necessary, but not today.

There are multiple manifestations of tongues, not just as an evangelistic tool (emphasis mine):

1 Cor. 14
For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

1 Cor. 13:1
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Cor 14:4
The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.

But even so, missionaries today could benefit in the manifestation of tongues for evangelism, and many have.

The real question is why you won't receive what is clear in the scriptures. Is it likely you have no experience in such gifts and therefore are not open to the idea?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could be the misuse of it. I've been in plenty Pentecostal churches where people just have at it and have heard others tell me they were not interested in attending my church because of it. Now sure they could use that as an excuse, but thats not the point. Others want to feel in control of all things and even use the verse in 1 Cor 14 about God being the God of order to say tongues are unscriptural. Not even realizing that entire chapter is about the proper use of tongues in church. If we taught more about the gifts then more may "desire them earnestly" (1 Cor 14:1).

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Spoken like a person who has not the GIFT, rejects the GIFT and so has no comprehension of the GIFT.&and please do not use mocking terminology..
You will note it says they will cease...it does not say they have ceased it does not suggest they will cease before the Lords return.

Also.I can see why the enemy would want it silenced .I mean,direct Holy Spirit inspired communication intercession and declaration with and of God..are perfect reasons it continues.
The greatest reason it is discouraged is unbelief...

But hey your not answering the op and your words make no-sense to folks who have both received and use this gift for Gods intended purposes.
Do not ,by implication ,insinuate that God is untrue in delivering on his promises just because a- you have not received or b- someone else who does not believe passed on these unbelief to you.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

ignorance on full display..... why even post here if you do not hold to pentecostal teaching? that's against the rules... probably something your interpretation of scripture strictly forbids...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It never has been cool to speak in tongues. The larger the group the harder it is to manage. And the larger the group the more you will lose people by going against the norm.

A lot of Christian services are knowledge based and not spirit based. Tongues alone is anti knowledge. because we don't know what we are saying. That bothers people. And then the interpretation seems to be arrogance (by speaking as if God is speaking) to those who don't understand.

We need to get back to seeking God and not worry about #'s.

Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
staff edit

You can't be careful if you don't act. Being careful is acting but also with care to not go wrong. To not act is not being careful but being fearful. To act with care is putting aside the fear looking to Jesus to guide you .

1 Cor. 14:39 "Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues."

And chapter 14 of course was written after chapter 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Tongues ceased when it was put down in writing for all to see, and are able to study the context of the scriptures, no need for humans to Babble forth to get the point across.

The issue is not our point, the issue is God's point.

Do you have faith to move mountains? If not, then why not seek God for more. Have you come to a place of not seeking God for more in your life?

Jude 20
"But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,"

1 Cor 14:15
"What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also."

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
staff edit

If the gift was going to cease, then why would the Holy Spirit even inspire the Apostles to put it into scriptures how it should be used properly in congregational settings? What is the context of 1 Corinthians 13:8?

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:8-12 ESV)

Then I shall fully know, when? When we see "the perfect" face to face. A clear reference to the day Jesus returns...

Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2 ESV)

so that you are not lacking in any gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, (1 Corinthians 1:7 ESV)

So Paul started the book of 1 Corinthians with a statement that he prayed the Corinthians would not lack ANY gift as they waited for the revealing of Jesus, the perfect to come. At that point, the partial will be done away with, the mortal and imperfect (1 Corinthians 15:42-54).

Of course you will accept none of this and I understand. I was once blind to the truth just as you are now. Perhaps the Lord will enlighten you as He did me. I pray that you at least consider these things. If you are correct in your opinion, then you have nothing to worry about. If you are not correct and tongues and all gifts are indeed operational still, you still have time to repent of teaching otherwise.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts aren't earned, they aren't badges of honor or holiness that we parade around like we are somebody important. If people do that, they shouldn't. The gifts are given for the good of all people within the Body of Christ exactly as the Holy Spirit determines it. 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 As long as the Body of Christ is present on earth, the gifts will be too for that very reason

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
First the are two types of tongues, tongues at the baptism of the Holy Ghost like on the day of pentecost that continues today. It becomes your prayer language but it is not understood by us. The second is "the gift of tongues". This gift is very much different, this is not prayer language, it is a message by God, usually to a group of people that then needs someone with "the gift of interpetation", to understand and then speak what the message in tongues was.

With that said, there was many times that this happened in my old church, and I still remember many of the messages, and then someone standing and giving the interpretation. One I remember well was during the preaching, a sister stood up and began a message in tongues, as we silently listened, it was always powerful coming from the person. Then silence and usually within a few seconds one who could interpret would start speaking....on this occasion God said "that those who would bring up there children to know him, and teach them of him that he would promise to bless those children, that they wouldn't have to go through the things we did, that they would marry the right one..."
I remember I had no children at the time, and was happy for those who did and could be blessed, secretly inside I wished that when I had children the promise would be for them also, but did not know. Sadly only one week later my pastor asked the congregation what the interpetation of the message was...? I was the only one who raised my hand, he ignored me until he asked everyone and no one remembered. Then he told me to stand and tell what it was....I was so shocked that after such a wonderful assurance that not even the person that gave the tongue message could remember. They didn't remember because they had not thought about it, or cared to think about it all week....A few years ago I was thinking about this message from so long ago...I have 2 sons know, they are Caleb and Noah, 26 and 24 yrs. old now....And they are blessed above what I could hope for in their lives, God has blessed them and I believe that message back then, even when I had no children yet, was for me also. Thank You Jesus.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that it is all right for believers who practice the above are to have the gift of the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues today you are joking of course?
"a GIFT" ...by its definition.is not earned.
it is received.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Spoken like a person who has not the GIFT, rejects the GIFT and so has no comprehension of the GIFT.&and please do not use mocking terminology..
You will note it says they will cease...it does not say they have ceased it does not suggest they will cease before the Lords return.

Also.I can see why the enemy would want it silenced .I mean,direct Holy Spirit inspired communication intercession and declaration with and of God..are perfect reasons it continues.
The greatest reason it is discouraged is unbelief...

But hey your not answering the op and your words make no-sense to folks who have both received and use this gift for Gods intended purposes.
Do not ,by implication ,insinuate that God is untrue in delivering on his promises just because a- you have not received or b- someone else who does not believe passed on these unbelief to you.

I've found the people who are most adamant against speaking in tongues are the people who faked it at one time or another. they will swear they know its fake bc they did it... thats like a guy who says he knows all men cheat on their wives bc he did it.

I speak in tongues, after many years I recognize my language. If I babble with my granddaughter who is at that stage where she looks at you and pretends she is holding a conversation with you...cute cute cute. I babble along with her.... it's not tongues. When I pray in tongues I recognize whole phrases I have not memorized and words I do not know but repeatedly say.... unlike babbling its not just sounds but a language.
The testimony of millions of people is not enough for these people, nothing we say here convinces them either. Why are they here? To mock God?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've found the people who are most adamant against speaking in tongues are the people who faked it at one time or another. they will swear they know its fake bc they did it... thats like a guy who says he knows all men cheat on their wives bc he did it.

I speak in tongues, after many years I recognize my language. If I babble with my granddaughter who is at that stage where she looks at you and pretends she is holding a conversation with you...cute cute cute. I babble along with her.... it's not tongues. When I pray in tongues I recognize whole phrases I have not memorized and words I do not know but repeatedly say.... unlike babbling its not just sounds but a language.
The testimony of millions of people is not enough for these people, nothing we say here convinces them either. Why are they here? To mock God?

yupyup.
the language(communication) of the spirit is amazing!!.

when a person dies..vacates the body..they have testified of speaking and being spoken to ...how?they have no tongue no vocal vibration ...
there is a "knowing" between the two(and all)communicators..
tongues bypasses carnality ..and communicates spiritually.this is why there is a gift of interpretation but never translation.
when some one speaks a foreign tongue to men..that is a miracle ..when they speak in the spirit to God...that is of & in the spirit.even a groaning a sighing..these also are a language between man and God.

it is said the very dna of our being resonates music in song to God..this too is a language .language to communicate with the Father...who IS SPIRIT is only greatly enhanced by the Holy Spirits enabling via the gift of tongues...

what think you sis....

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

staff edit

Rom11…28From the standpoint of the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers; 29for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience,…

Yep, gifts are given without repentance which is why you may see some fairly poor witnesses moving in the gifts. On the other hand, the Lord is the One doing it so it would be up to Him how effective this is. I always think of a few of the charlatans from the past where people have been healed. The people coming for healing had the faith and they were healed by God. Even in the presence of a sinner, God manages to show forth His glory

On the other hand, those people who refuse to believe the Lord for healing won't receive a healing even by someone moving in the gift.

Upvote 0