Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You have to "report" the people who come into the forum and teach different doctrines, not just get upset with them.

They will keep preaching their falsehoods unto a mod comes along and shuts them down, so yea,.... report them.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well it's Futile to tell a person who got baptised in the HOLY Spirit and broke out in tongues like living water bubbling up from within.. that tongues have ceased.
Bit like telling the sky it is not blue because the individual is colour blind and sees it as green.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Posted: Can you explain why would the Holy Spirit want to pray through us in a language no one can understand, what would be the point of that?

See, that's the hangup for many. You know, that's the same logic some don't become believers. They say The Bible makes no sense to them, it's not logical, especially the account of Jesus being crucified and resurrected.

Regarding tongues though, you might want to check out this Biblically based book by Dr. Bill Hamon, "Seventy Reasons for Speaking in Tongues."

Just for starters: The gift of tongues has different purposes and there are different types. Supporting Scripture include I Cor 12:28 "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues."
There is at least - (1) self edification and (2) church edification.
-(1) Usually referred to as prayer language (I Cor 14:4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself;..." This isn't for an emotional high. It isn't a seal of approval.
-(2) Message to the church. Usually there's a message in tongues with interpretation (I Cor 14:27-28).

Tongues are to glorify G_d (John 15:26), help pray in the spirit to Him (I cor 14), magnify Him (Acts 10:47), helps keep us in the love of God (Jude 1:20-21), etc.

If you look at the groups that received tongues, it states "all" received (Acts 2:4; 4:31; 10:44; 19:2) with one exception - on the Day of Pentecost, not in the Upper Room, where there were mockers of tongues.

Just like when we became believers, we had to humble ourselves. Right? Well, we have asks Him to use our mouths and say whatever He wants. G_d gives good gifts (Matt 7:11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include:
Congregational Forum Restrictions and orthodox Christian Only Forums
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for orthodox Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in the Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion forum.

If someone is debating against your beliefs, please report them and do not quote and argue with them. The clean up can get big enough that it corrupts the thread and all we get is a white screen.

I am reopening this - please stay on topic.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if we learned anything from all that it's that there are some who are just overtly opposed to what they don't understand.
I think the suggestion given earlier is good.
Continue the reverse trend.promote it.but the thing is .this gift so plainly evident in the bible is oddly met with an incredible amount of resistance.mostly by those who claim to believe the bible.how's that for a spiritual paradox lol

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Well if we learned anything from all that it's that there are some who are just overtly opposed to what they don't understand.
I think the suggestion given earlier is good.
Continue the reverse trend.promote it.but the thing is .this gift so plainly evident in the bible is oddly met with an incredible amount of resistance.mostly by those who claim to believe the bible.how's that for a spiritual paradox lol

IDK MMIM, but its as if they can't read or read with a different interpretation, mostly with cynicism believing somehow that Charismatics are evil liars who peep and mutter... it makes you wonder what would the church be like if we focused on Him instead of our own pet doctrines...

I've always heard, if you gave someone a bible and locked them in a room they'd come out saved and speaking in tongues... bc they wouldn't have all the negative talk and poor teaching to impede the Holy Spirit flowing through them

I just had a Presbyterian on another thread that mocked tongues, (he said he didn't realize he was on the wrong forum) so I looked up his church and they support a women's right to choose abortion... I'm appalled that someone would choose to argue with my beliefs while they so clearly have so many problems at home...ugh.

We all need to take into account where our energies should go in the kingdom of Christ. Do we encourage, exhort and educate or do we criticize, degrade and argue... :prayer: After 2000 years I'd have thought we'd have at least worked out our little corners of the world...LOL

God bless, andrea

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know a minister who really condemned tongues for decades. After retiring, he prayed - use me Lord anyway you want. Then his next few "words" were tongues. He was so surprised. He had been speaking in tongues for several weeks when he was talked with me. He regretted all the sermons when he had preached against them. He was laughing and talking about how wonderful it was and kept saying "if I had only known."

Upvote 0

Rockin Robyn

Jul 6, 2013
✟15,126.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think it's necessary to speak in tongues. when we have the Bible written in everyone's language now, so no point in having someone babble forth something they cannot even understand themselves, when we can read what's God's word is saying.

(1 Corinthians 13:8) 8 Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease;

That is why this scripture is so true.

I wanted to address your statement that "we have the Bible written in everyone's language now." I can understand how you might think that, but it's so not true. I have worked for Wycliffe Bible Translators and learned that there are thousands of languages that still do not have the Bible in their language. Thankfully, the mission for translation is really pushing forward and new Bibles are being delivered to people almost weekly around the world, but there is still so much work to be done. According to their latest data, there are about 7,000 known languages in the world today. This is from their website:

How many languages have Scripture?
Over 2,817. Of these, 513 have a complete Bible, another 1,294 have the New Testament. 1,010 others have at least one book of the Bible.

How many languages still need translation?
In addition to over 2,167 active projects worldwide, work needs to be done in a further 1,919 languages.

How many people have no Scripture?
Around 98 million speak languages where there is no known Scripture, and a further 81 million speak languages which need Bible translation but where there are no current activities underway.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to address your statement that "we have the Bible written in everyone's language now." I can understand how you might think that, but it's so not true. I have worked for Wycliffe Bible Translators and learned that there are thousands of languages that still do not have the Bible in their language. Thankfully, the mission for translation is really pushing forward and new Bibles are being delivered to people almost weekly around thge world, but there is still so much work to be done. According to their latest data, there are about 7,000 known languages in the world today. This is from their website:

How many languages have Scripture?
Over 2,817. Of these, 513 have a complete Bible, another 1,294 have the New Testament. 1,010 others have at least one book of the Bible.

How many languages still need translation?
In addition to over 2,167 active projects worldwide, work needs to be done in a further 1,919 languages.

How many people have no Scripture?
Around 98 million speak languages where there is no known Scripture, and a further 81 million speak languages which need Bible translation but where there are no current activities underway.
Great info... ty

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums