Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Again, whatever you have to tell yourself.

Again, I don't "have" to tell myself anything.

You want to insist that you came from a rock?

I never said any such thing.

That's your decision.

My decision is to accept what the evidence points to, instead of what I "want" to be true.

• Agree
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

David_M

Jul 20, 2016
UK
✟20,394.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since time out of mind. Does not the Bible say that human life begins at "quickening?"

No it doesn't. It says it begins when breath is drawn, that is when it is considered that life starts just as it ends when you have taken your last breath.

Exodus 21:22-25 is very clear, harm to the mother is treated as harm to a person "an eye for an eye, a life for a life", harm to the baby is treated as damage to property, a fine.

That law makes it clear, before birth its not a person.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Again, I don't "have" to tell myself anything.

I never said any such thing.

You did, but you just didn't realize it.

My decision is to accept what the evidence points to, instead of what I "want" to be true.

Sorry, you can't have this and the fable of evolution. Pick one.

• Haha
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You did, but you just didn't realize it.

I did not and I fully realise where that silly stereotype strawman came from.

+200.000 peer reviewed publications on the subject, disagree.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟346,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, whatever you have to tell yourself. You want to insist that you came from a rock? That's your decision.
Why are you doing this? The impression you're giving is that you have no substantive reply to make about the facts, and you're just trying to save face (with who? yourself?) by dismissing it. It's disrespectful, and it makes you and your position look bad.

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Again, whatever you have to tell yourself. You want to insist that you came from a rock? That's your decision.
You say that like reality would change if we wish we came from magic beans, or were made of tinfoil or some such nonsense? Reality is what it is and the evidence will bear it out.
^ What he said ^

Upvote 0

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is your opinion

Is a small bundle of cells that has no intellectual capacity and cannot survive independently (even with medical support) a person? That is what we are considering before 12 weeks.
Hmmm, there are unwanted people who have no intellectual capacity and cannot survive independently so I guess they're lucky to be a large bundle of cells or they wouldn't be deserving of life either. You are now condeming a fetus to a death sentence as If it has some kind of choice that it is dependent on it's mother. If an adult person is in a coma we can only guess if it would it would want to live or not. Sometimes family members have to make that choice on the basis of what they think the person would want. What do you think a fetus would want if it could chose. You are pro-choice aren't you?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmmm, there are unwanted people who have no intellectual capacity and cannot survive independently so I guess they're lucky to be a large bundle of cells or they wouldn't be deserving of life either.
It's not a matter of deserving life, but rather if, at that point in development, an embryo should be considered an individual. The legal answer ended up being no, on the grounds that an embryo cannot live independently. Feel free to take issue with that all you like.

You are now condeming a fetus to a death sentence as If it has some kind of choice that it is dependent on it's mother. If an adult person is in a coma we can only guess if it would it would want to live or not. Sometimes family members have to make that choice on the basis of what they think the person would want. What do you think a fetus would want if it could chose. You are pro-choice aren't you?
-_- as an on and off suicidal autistic person that my mother decided not to abort, honestly, it might have been better if I was never born. So, thanks for making me think about that (sarcasm).
And, yeah, prenatal screenings showed that there was something potentially off in my development.

There are certainly conditions people can be born with that I would consider worse than death, like the one that makes skin tear like paper when a person moves, or anacephaly (being born without a large portion of the brain, usually stillborn).

But hey, you believe in souls, so wouldn't all those aborted souls just go to heaven? Unless one believes we only have one life to live, there's nothing lost with dying young. Also, how about reading the bible sometime? Yahweh very obviously doesn't give a crap about the lives of unborn babies all that much, considering that the OT advocates forced abortions on the suspicion of one's wife being unfaithful.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Why are you doing this? The impression you're giving is that you have no substantive reply to make about the facts, and you're just trying to save face (with who? yourself?) by dismissing it. It's disrespectful, and it makes you and your position look bad.

My response was to a response without substance. I'm not here to argue for or against the fable of evolution. I made a comment concerning the silliness of the OP, and that comment was picked at by opinion.

There are no 'facts' to respond to. Get over yourself.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I did not and I fully realise where that silly stereotype strawman came from.

So, it's true because a bunch of you all agree with each other that it's true. Nice. Guess it's hard to argue with the ad populum fallacy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You say that like reality would change if we wish we came from magic beans, or were made of tinfoil or some such nonsense? Reality is what it is and the evidence will bear it out.

^ What he said ^

The reality is that when it's all said and done, the evolutionary tale will evaporate in the wind and you'll all be the subject of ridicule for centuries to come.

And the real sad thing will be that foe all it's victims who placed their faith in a lie, will by then be without hope. History will adjust, but that won't be one bit of help for those it destroyed along the way. Evolution deserves to be mocked and ridiculed relentlessly. It's just too bad so many haven't figured that out yet.

• Haha
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟346,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My response was to a response without substance. I'm not here to argue for or against the fable of evolution. I made a comment concerning the silliness of the OP, and that comment was picked at by opinion.
You're clearly not here to offer an argument, since you refuse to make one. The problem is, you do want to offer your opinion on evolution, and you refuse to engage those who have arguments to offer. If you don't want to argue for your position, why bother offering it?
There are no 'facts' to respond to.
Sure there are. There are scads of facts that support evolution. I'd be happy to show you some of them. . . but you've made it clear that you don't want to know about them. That's an effective defense mechanism (I guess), but the rest of us don't have to pretend that there are no facts just because you are.
Get over yourself.
Yeah, there it is again: the dismissive response while refusing to engage. That's the approach that isn't working (assuming your words are intended to have some effect on other people, that is).

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟346,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, it's true because a bunch of you all agree with each other that it's true.
No, it's true because there's lots of evidence that it's true. That's what's in all of those peer-reviewed publications that you haven't looked at but are sure don't have any facts in them because . . . how exactly do you know that there are no facts supporting evolution again?

Upvote 0

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-_- as an on and off suicidal autistic person that my mother decided not to abort, honestly, it might have been better if I was never born. So, thanks for making me think about that (sarcasm).
And, yeah, prenatal screenings showed that there was something potentially off in my development.

l.
I am too emotional about this quote to comment on the other things. You many not believe that there is a God who loves you and I can't prove it. You may not believe that the people on this website love you and I can't prove that either. You may not believe that we are happy that your mother made the right decision but we are.......even though I can't prove that anyone is, including myself. Some things that we can't prove are true but I hope you'll at least accept one of my statements as truth.

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The reality is that when it's all said and done, the evolutionary tale will evaporate in the wind and you'll all be the subject of ridicule for centuries to come.
.....so where will we get vaccines from? What about medicines, pharmaceuticals and medical technology like gene therapies? How will we work towards curing Cancer, and any number of other genetic diseases and conditions, and will we have to give back all the cures and treatments we've already found using Evolution? How about Oil and Coal, how will we work out where to find these deposits? (actually, I'm okay leaving all that in the ground, tbh...), and all the food we've improved to being so edible and bountiful with less effort and better resistance to environmental adversities...
And the real sad thing will be that foe all it's victims who placed their faith in a lie, will by then be without hope. History will adjust, but that won't be one bit of help for those it destroyed along the way. Evolution deserves to be mocked and ridiculed relentlessly. It's just too bad so many haven't figured that out yet.
Yeah, I know, with all those practical applications, reliable results, predictive capabilities and what have you, it'll be fooling people for centuries! It'll be doing untold damage feeding the world, improving the health and well-being of everyone and providing a foundation to obtain resources that'll power the whole thing while all that untold damage is going on....

<psst!.....don't hold your breath, mmmkay?>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David_M

Jul 20, 2016
UK
✟20,394.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, there are unwanted people who have no intellectual capacity and cannot survive independently so I guess they're lucky to be a large bundle of cells or they wouldn't be deserving of life either. You are now condeming a fetus to a death sentence as If it has some kind of choice that it is dependent on it's mother. If an adult person is in a coma we can only guess if it would it would want to live or not. Sometimes family members have to make that choice on the basis of what they think the person would want. What do you think a fetus would want if it could chose. You are pro-choice aren't you?

No intellectual capacity means no higher brain functions, for anyone after they have been born that equates to a persistant vegetative state which is the time when medical life support is rightly withdrawn.

You also ignore the "even with medical support" a 6 week foetus cannot survive outside the womb no matter what medical treatments are performed. Its not a human being by any realistic criteria, its something with the potential to be a human being.

And yes, other people make the choice for coma patients, you seem to have no objection to that but you do have a problem when that same action is applied to a foetus that also cannot make a choice.

And yes I am pro-choice to a degree, my views on elective abortion alters at around 20-24 weeks when the foetus can survive outside the womb.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, it's true because a bunch of you all agree with each other that it's true.

No. It's accurate, because the evidence shows it to be.

Nice. Guess it's hard to argue with the ad populum fallacy.

No ad populum there, if you understand what a scientific peer review publication is.
Hint: it's not a scientist saying "i believe this" and the reviewer saying "yes, me to!"

Upvote 0