1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the dangers of crossdressing

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Infernalfist, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

it has been brought to my attention that, according to the bible, crossdressing is an abomination. though i find that the only dangers of crossdressing come from those who oppose it. i myself have had great joy in donning a nice dress and stilettos, entertaining those at a party with my attempt to navigate carpet in women's dress shoes. somehow i doubt that, be there a god, he would oppose the smiles brought to my friends as a result of crossdressing

2. b&wpac4

b&wpac4 Trying to stay away

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Judaism
    The commentaries I have do not spend much time one that verse. They come to two conclusions:

The idea was the preserve the separation of the sexes. It could also have something to do with the religious traditions, but that is less clear.

The other thing is that most laws like this are a direct reaction to NOT being like the surrounding Canaanites. Perhaps they crossdressed a lot in some activities and the Israelites decided not to emulate them.

3. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

interesting, because i always thought that evil was based on intent. and if i intend to improve the lives of those around me, even for a moment, how could that not be considered good? might it be possible that you cling to this notion because you yourself are not comfortable with the idea? rather than having an open mind or attempt to understand it, you erect your walls in the form of biblical scripture while rolling up it's pages to make shafts for the arrows you sling at those who don't agree.

4. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

also there could be the simple fact that the person who wrote that particular scripture had an aversion for crossdressing, and injected his own ideals into what he would have people believe were mandates from god. the bible was written by the hands of men after all

5. chaela

chaela ◕‿◕

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    The only danger I see is twisting one's ankle in those high-heels, a danger for male and female alike! I've done that more times than I care to recount. :)

6. b&wpac4

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Judaism
    Possible, but I suspect the idea would have to have been more ingrained culturally for it to stick.

7. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

hmmmm, true. i suspect that we would have to find out the way the societies existed before coming to an educated idea about why someone might have said this.

8. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

i am actually surprised that i didn't twist my ankle. it seems like the dangers would out weight the fashion, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

9. Nathan Poe

Nathan Poe New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    By any chance, are you a member of a RHPS cast?

PreachersWife2004 likes this.
  10. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

being that man created clothing to be gender specific, it would make sense that man would be the sole creator of gender specific dressing guidelines. if your god had intended for clothing to be gender specific, i'm sure that the bible would have included sewing patterns. i'd also have to argue that the only common sense involved with choosing clothing that is gender specific is to not restrict the movement of gender specific parts.
    plus you always have to question the motives behind why someone were to tell you something. i personally refuse to accept everything told to me without first understanding why someone were to tell it to me. most would argue that it is common sense to do so.

11. b&wpac4

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Judaism
    Well, to be fair, the tzitzit were supposed to just be worn by the man, so you might have one instance here. ;)

12. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

not that i am aware of, being that i have no idea what that is. i personally make it a point to first live without fear and second to attempt to improve the lives of those around me any way i can. so in this particular case, i had no fear in donning the "garments of the abominable";) in order to acquire the laughter of my friends.

13. chaela

chaela ◕‿◕

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Well ... that would depend on the culture.

I'm no fashion expert when it comes to male and female attire back in OT times, but didn't everyone, regardless of gender, wear those toga things back then? A modern day woman's dress looks more like a toga than a man's business suit would, so a man wearing a dress is more in line with OT mens-wear than a man in a tuxedo would be.

What about the kilts worn by men in Scotland and Ireland?

14. Nathan Poe

Nathan Poe New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Nothing abominable about it, IMHO.

RHPS = Rocky Horror Picture Show. why just walk in the heals when you can dance in them? :)

15. Exial

Exial New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Atheist
    That film mentally scared me. I can never look at Tim Curry the same again.

16. Jase

Jase New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Messianic
    The Torah laws in many ways are very culturally applied. To just claim gays or wearing clothing normally prescribed to the opposite sex are abominations to God is being highly shortsighted and ignoring any cultural variance. The ancient world was a patriarchy. I imagine for a man to wear women's clothes was seen as lowering himself to the status of a woman, aka a no-no. This, however, is completely irrelevant in modern society.

17. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

oh, didn't make the connection. well to be perfectly honest we did just finish watching it when i raided my friend's wife's wardrobe. now before you get the wrong impression about my friend's wife. she is not very large and after i had finished wearing the dress, she was no longer able to wear it and have it look very flattering on her. ;) i'd have to say that i am a novice when it comes to heals and dancing was out of the picture.

18. Nathan Poe

Nathan Poe New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Did you see it in the theater with a shadowcast?

19. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    So are kilts evil?

20. Jase

Jase New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Messianic
    I would think he would say yes considering he thinks women who wear pant suits designed for women is evil. Skirts and dresses only for those primitive women!