Africa
✟12,053.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SCRIPTURE: 'As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.” But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.” He said to another person, “Come, follow me.” The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.” Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say goodbye to my family.” But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”' Luke 9:57-62

LESSON: The Cost of discipleship is highlighted here for us by the Lord Himself. Whether invited or not, there is always a price to pay. However, many choose to stay away due to their freedom of choice. In verse 58, Jesus discusses the cost of denying material possessions. What this means is that you cannot claim permanent ownership of anything, as God may demand it at any time. For example, Peter's house became Jesus' ministry headquarters. The second cost involves denying relationships and legitimate concerns of this life in order to prioritize kingdom purposes, as outlined in verses 59-62. Keep in mind the parable of the sower. The seed that fell on the rock (the flesh and its associations) and among the thorns (the troubles of this world and the lust for other things) perished because they were burnt or choked to death by these reasonable concerns. As a result, obtaining the grace to prioritize God and His kingdom is the key to successful discipleship!

PRAYER: Lord, please, give us the grace to prioritize Your kingdom above our necessary concerns. :praying:

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SCRIPTURE: 'As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.” But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.” He said to another person, “Come, follow me.” The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.” Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say goodbye to my family.” But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”' Luke 9:57-62

LESSON: The Cost of discipleship is highlighted here for us by the Lord Himself. Whether invited or not, there is always a price to pay. However, many choose to stay away due to their freedom of choice. In verse 58, Jesus discusses the cost of denying material possessions. What this means is that you cannot claim permanent ownership of anything, as God may demand it at any time. For example, Peter's house became Jesus' ministry headquarters. The second cost involves denying relationships and legitimate concerns of this life in order to prioritize kingdom purposes, as outlined in verses 59-62. Keep in mind the parable of the sower. The seed that fell on the rock (the flesh and its associations) and among the thorns (the troubles of this world and the lust for other things) perished because they were burnt or choked to death by these reasonable concerns. As a result, obtaining the grace to prioritize God and His kingdom is the key to successful discipleship!

PRAYER: Lord, please, give us the grace to prioritize Your kingdom above our necessary concerns. :praying:

to deny yourself and to pick up your cross is the same truth ... it is to take no thought, as it is a chosen fast, as it is to hate your own life ..

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Good thread and subject !.
You outlined very well cost of being disciples.
Factors = pride. ENTERTAINMENT. Materialism. Self centered. Self gratification. Persecution.
Big factor = some people have spirit of stupor.
Thier not sincere and diligent to start with.
Thier are consequences for carrying your cross. Matthew 16:24
They don't want to submit to God's will.
They don't want accountability.
It's the easy road. It leads to sheol. Its holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked.
Proverbs chapter 1. Thier downfall is not being sincere and diligent. Many people end up in sheol.
Those who love and serve God are in paradise.

Upvote 0