London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Agreed! but the further you go, the worse you get.
Sure. But let's keep the focus on holding people responsible for their own bigotry. The attackers are responsible for their own bigotry, obviously. Focusing on their bigotry when it comes to the bigotry of someone else isn't particularly even-handed.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sure. But let's keep the focus on holding people responsible for their own bigotry. The attackers are responsible for their own bigotry, obviously. Focusing on their bigotry when it comes to the bigotry of someone else isn't particularly even-handed.

You still can't honestly believe that their bigotry exists in equal degrees, can you?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
You still can't honestly believe that their bigotry exists in equal degrees, can you?
No. I've never once said this, and for some reason you keep putting words in my mouth. I condemn both sets of bigotry because it is bigotry.

What I don't particularly like is focusing more on the responsibility of the attackers for any future bigotry that their victims may opt to adopt.

The attackers' bigotry is their own issue. The bigotry of their erstwhile targets is their own issue also. That the bigotry is of differing degree doesn't alter this. They are both responsible for their own bigotry.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No. I've never once said this, and for some reason you keep putting words in my mouth. I condemn both sets of bigotry because it is bigotry.

Do you condemn them equally?

What I don't particularly like is focusing more on the responsibility of the attackers for any future bigotry that their victims may opt to adopt.

Bigotry begets bigotry, does it not?

The attackers' bigotry is their own issue. The bigotry of their erstwhile targets is their own issue also. That the bigotry is of differing degree doesn't alter this. They are both responsible for their own bigotry.

When one leads to the other, this is not necessarily the case.

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
http://forward.com/news/325988/jews-are-still-the-biggest-target-of-hate-crimes/
The so called rise in Hat crimes against Muslims pales into nothing compared to Jewish hate crimes. Won't somebody please think of the Muslims.
hate-crimes-chart-1449181453.jpg

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Do you condemn them equally?

I don't see any reason to condemn the victim in this case less if they go on to engage in bigotry themselves. You don't know what was done to the attacker to make him the way he was, in this case.

But hey, he's a presumed privileged Westerner - it will always be his fault.

Bigotry begets bigotry, does it not?

Each bigot is responsible for their own choices, irrespective of what has happened to them.

When one leads to the other, this is not necessarily the case.

.....but if that's your logic then again, why does this not validate the actions of the attacker?

He or his country may have suffered through the bigotry of Muslims - Islamic terrorists, say. Why doesn't that justify his bigotry, the way for you his bigotry justifies the hypothetical later bigotry of his victims?

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"More than anyone"? They're still alive, aren't they?

Last time I checked Muslim terrorists had killed several people in Paris?
They don't count. I mean, they're probably white and under leftist dogma it's impossible for them to be oppressed or anything. So yeah, not oppression

Upvote 0