The book of Judges.

pfcreed

Mar 24, 2013
✟15,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive had three unrelated references to the book of Judges in the last few days. I just finished reading the book of judges. I would like to invite you all to tell me something thats important to take away from it so that I can reflect and try to figure out the message im supposed to receive. The obvious message that sticks out to me from reading is idolatry.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The messages include listening to God, the cost of idolatry, the recurring struggle of how people call on God when things are going badly and but ignore him when things are going well. There are others, but those are the recurring themes.

Judges 2:11-23 summarizes the problem very well.

Upvote 0
R

Receiver

... I would like to invite you all to tell me something thats important to take away from it so that I can reflect and try to figure out the message im supposed to receive..

Good to hear that you are reading the bible but the fact that you are left wondering what God is saying to you and seeking man's advice indicates that you need to receive the Spirit of Truth, like the disciples did in Acts 2:4.

That will begin to open your spiritual eyes and ears. Most "churches" preach a different message today (idolatry), you will need to find one, like Gideon, that is faithful and expecting miraculous things.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive had three unrelated references to the book of Judges in the last few days. I just finished reading the book of judges. I would like to invite you all to tell me something thats important to take away from it so that I can reflect and try to figure out the message im supposed to receive. The obvious message that sticks out to me from reading is idolatry.

Hi pfcreed,

I'm not sure that there necessarily is some underlying message for the believer to take away from the writings of the judges. These writings and the Chronicles and Kings are basically just historical in their nature. Some use them to assess genealogies. I'm sure that there are places throughout where one can say to themselves, "Well, God didn't seem to like that." We do find in the Kings especially that God found many of the kings to be unfaithful to Him. Judges also contains some historical documentation of faithful and unfaithful judges.

Personally, I think the greatest 'point' that one might take away from the judges is that it shows how God intended for Israel to be ruled. Israel, however, was not satisfied with God's method and rose up and asked for a king to rule over them as all the other nations had. This was probably one of the greatest rebukes that Israel brought before God.

Not everything in the Scriptures, I believe, is necessarily written to convey some unspoken meaning. But, as with even these writings, there are things that are accounted that one might go, "hmmmm".

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
. The obvious message that sticks out to me from reading is idolatry.

I think it's quite interesting that you saw a lesson about this. It's a recurring theme all throughout the Bible, both Old and New. Jesus said heaps about materialism, to the point that he said we cannot work for two masters; one being God and the other being mammon (money and the things money can buy).

When talking about living by faith and trusting God for his provision (rather than the worldly system of wages for love), he referenced Solomon, saying that he had something better to offer than the richest man in the world could.

Upvote 0