Potato, pineapple, pickle.
Aug 25, 2005
Vermont, U.S.A.
✟9,610.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you think about the Bible, and being open-minded about Christianity? :confused:

I think the Bible is the record of some mens' search for God. I think it was inspired by God, though currently I do not believe all of it to be truth. (Neither literally, nor symbolically.) I do think it is true from the human authors' point of view.
I think it is good to be open-minded about all religions.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I consider myself a Christian. I absolutely love living a life of helping others, inspiring others to do the right thing, giving freely of myself and respecting everyone.
That is good and all, but these are not the things that make you a Christian.

However, I have my own beliefs about God, Bible teachings and Jesus. I believe the Bible is very, very metaphorical. I think the Bible is man's interpretation of God's wishes, put into simpler symbolic forms that made it easy for even the simplest folk to understand.
If this is true, on what basis do you believe anything about Christ and his redemption? So you think some truth is imparted in the bible from God but its metaphorical? Then why isn’t it present as metaphor? Did God make mistake or something? It seems to me that the bible is either the inerrant word of God, or it’s just a book of nice stories…

It makes sense, right? God is so very complex, how could ancient people possibly get all their questions answered?
The purpose of the bible isn’t to have a Q&A session. The bible isn’t an encyclopedia on hard spiritual questions; it exists to spread the good news. No one claims that the answer to EVERY spiritual question is in the bible; but that doesn’t mean what the bible DOES say is metaphorical.

Some close-minded people simply blow off everything as myth (atheists), but really, I believe as humans we'll never be able to fully understand God's doings, and I'm able to accept that.
Anyone who believes and reads the bible will tell you that no human will ever be able to fully understand God; but that doesn’t mean that he has given us some truth and understanding.

What do you think about the Bible, and being open-minded about Christianity?
I think it is the inerrant infallible word of God given to us the means to God news which is selected by God as the means to his redemptive plan.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It only takes a little thought to see that the Bible is not meant to be literally true.

I mean, think about it: if the Bible included an exact specification of how the universe came to be and exactly how it works, it would be a huge physics textbook that only about 100 or so people on this planet could understand. And that's in modern times - imagine how much worse that would have been in ancient times.

Thus, its much simpler to do what the Bible does, and say, "Right people, God made the universe - we won't go into the how, but all you need to know right now is that God did it."
According to the bible, why do you think the bible exist? I’ll give you a hint: it isn’t to explain physics or sway atheist.

Upvote 0
H

hybrid

This is a false epistemology. I suggest you look into Kant, Russell, Libnitz (sp?), or any modern epistemologist.

this is just an opinion. i suggest you look deep into your self.

the OP should have posted BIBLE + an OPEN HEART.

Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and active. NIV

the truths of the bilble whether literal or metaphors are designed to evoke and bring forth what is within us.

to touch the heart and not the head.

godspeed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.