Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics might find this New York Times story instructive in terms of the assumptions and vision on display in the secular brave (and brutal) new world.

What are a grown child’s duties toward his elderly parents?

I know that “one-size-doesn’t-fit-all.” I recognize modern society has changed, with individuals atomized, families smaller and mobility everywhere. I acknowledge that, for better or worse, many roles in this regard previously filled by families are now done by government or the “health care industry.”

Yet I want to think that the notion of “filial piety” is more than just a trope in old Oriental B-movies.

The occasion of my ruminations is an article in The New York Times magazine about the challenges 30- and 20-somethings are facing caring for aging Boomer parents. I’ll admit: the title, “The Agony of Putting Your Life on Hold to Care for Your Parents” set my teeth on edge. Reading comments on the story (comments sections are eye-opening barometers of public thinking, at least of those loud enough to fill the public space) proved my blood pressure meds are very good.

Continued below.

Reactions: Joined2krist

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,685,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This one must hit home for you especially, Michie, with everything you do for your parents and your in-laws.
It does. And here is the thing, nobody else helps. My sister would be for the secular route. My husband’s siblings live elsewhere. We all live out of town but we do all the heavy lifting. We are still in the process of moving my mother in and I still have to clean her house, etc. I’ve been so tired I felt like I was getting hallucinations. Dogs in the road while driving, etc. lol

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It does. And here is the thing, nobody else helps. My sister would be for the secular route. My husband’s siblings live elsewhere. We all live out of town but we do all the heavy lifting. We are still in the process of moving my mother in and I still have to clean her house, etc. I’ve been so tired I felt like I was getting hallucinations. Dogs in the road while driving, etc. lol
I wish there was a way we could send you to Hawaii for a week just for a respite, but that's the cruel irony of your situation because who then would care for the people you care for?

No matter what, I hope you find true rest and reward for your sacrifices. Lord knows they are great and many.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,685,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish there was a way we could send you to Hawaii for a week just for a respite, but that's the cruel irony of your situation because who then would care for the people you care for?

No matter what, I hope you find true rest and reward for your sacrifices. Lord knows they are great and many.
Thank you spicoli! *hug*

Upvote 0