Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think we are often prepared to state our more inmost thoughts and feelings in cyber space than we are in "real life"
That is so true. I thank the Internet for free self-expression. If I talked like this IRL, people would either tell me to shut up or just walk away! :)

Upvote 0

Spherical

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
US
✟111,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think lonely people are just suffering from self-pity? That all they need to do is go to Church and volunteer their services. Repent and pray to God for mercy for being so self-indulgent?
It could be for some, but definitely not for all. There are many people who volunteer and are out there for either some social interaction or for serving others, attempting to fill some sort of void within themselves by doing something or involving other people in their lives. This means it isn't necessarily something spiritual; it might even be due to their raising, some social traumas, or even just some personal desire of being alone (and of course, this is different from being lonely).

And more technology has made it worse
perhaps? I dunno.
My take is that technology has made it worse in the sense that it allows communication with people who are not physically around us, but it triggers other things, such as envy for the seemingly perfect lives other people live according to their pictures and videos on social networks. Some people have found an aid to their loneliness in technology, through chats, games where there is interaction with other players, forums, and such. It depends on the use of what technology offers, since it's not a problem that technology itself brings.

People stuck at home, due to fear of the "real" world. It is sad because they really don't have the coping skills. So all they need is to discover Jesus Christ? But I think they need our compassion too.
People might be "stuck" at home because they have no desire of going out. They could be enjoying their home a lot, or they have suffered some sort of emotional wounds by others and because of that they prefer to avoid other people, or they could be just making a balance between interacting with other people and the time they spend by themselves. We can't say it's due to not having coping skills, so, again, it might not be something spiritual.

I don't think we could correctly judge this issue without knowing the whole background of people. It would be interesting to perform a study on why people stay at home: one not limited to that question, but that addresses possible causes and underlying issues behind their decision.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you think lonely people are just suffering from self-pity? That all they need to do is go to Church and volunteer their services. Repent and pray to God for mercy for being so self-indulgent?
Yet loneliness is the human condition. It doesn't discriminate age, gender or race. And more technology has made it worse perhaps? I dunno.
I see loneliness in the community that helps me forget the paltry amount I suffer. People stuck at home, due to fear of the "real" world. It is sad because they really don't have the coping skills.
So all they need is to discover Jesus Christ? But I think they need our compassion too.

why are they lonely?!, why is there a fear of others in them?!, because most people are good?!, or because many people have turned out to tend to cause trouble and (to) be a complication?!, and why?!, because they are taught to be good?!, or... - maybe there is no enough people to teach others to be good

Blessings

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
just to go off topic . The diversity of belief in the world from Buddhism to Judaism to Christianity and so on. I just think we all make a brave choice by choosing one. By choosing one, we eliminate all the others. So I've chosen "Catholicism" for instance. Luckily I was a cradle catholic by some kind of lottery win, I've chosen the winning ticket to Heaven? It can't be as simple as that. I truly believe the kind-hearted Muslims who have lived an exemplary life will go to heaven. And not some simplistic "priority seating" where the Catholics are up the front and the lesser ones are way up the back. :)

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0