Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Do you think lonely people are just suffering from self-pity? That all they need to do is go to Church and volunteer their services. Repent and pray to God for mercy for being so self-indulgent?
Yet loneliness is the human condition. It doesn't discriminate age, gender or race. And more technology has made it worse perhaps? I dunno.
I see loneliness in the community that helps me forget the paltry amount I suffer. People stuck at home, due to fear of the "real" world. It is sad because they really don't have the coping skills.
So all they need is to discover Jesus Christ? But I think they need our compassion too.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Would you say you are less lonely or more lonely, than the average person?
When was the loneliest period in your life?
How do you cope with loneliness?
Are you a loner?
Who are some lonely people you have see n in life? (that you got to know reasonably well)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My mother died over 20 years ago but I remember now some of her pain and loneliness. She had 7 boys and no girls. She really needed some female support. Some girl talk. She had a tough time doing a cleaning job on top of trying to maintain the household full of animalistic rugby playing wannabes! :)

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am not lonely although I am alone. I know that many people are lonely though. I don't feel that there is a one size fits all solution to this. For myself though, the reason I am not lonely is that I have God, and it has taken me a lot of years to be able tosay that.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Paul, I don't really know, but it may be the case. We would need to ask a few people.

I think that regarding the internet, the "friendships" formed there can often be deeper than those in "real life" for want of a better phrase. But also, they can be shallow. Sometimes the internet can provide something for people who would otherwise be exceedingly lonely.

That is the only te chnology I can speak. If

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
One my loneliest times was in my twenties and I was renting an expensive apartment. I got conned by this guy to let him share. He never paid me any rent for 4 months and only left when I threatened to call the police. I felt too young to struggle with those issues and finances were low. I had to leave that place in the end.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think that regarding the internet, the "friendships" formed there can often be deeper than those in "real life" for want of a better phrase. But also, they can be shallow. Sometimes the internet can provide something for people who would otherwise be exceedingly lonely.
My concern is we are living a "facebook" lifestyle. I do enjoy it I admit but on the other hand it somehow feels artificial. Good, healthy face to face IRL relationships are the best IMO. Yet maybe we are not developing as close a relationship with people IRL. Alienation? Possibly.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That sounds a sad experience Paul. Those kinds of struggles do indeed make you feel very lon ely.

It is true that even if y ou are a ctuall y with people you can be very lonely. Ma ybe lone lin ess is more of an. In n er. Thing than anyt hing es le. I d on't know. Ju st suggestions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
But. I guess if you are the kind of person who cannot develop relationships offline, it can ve a godse nd to you
I think it is harder to make good friends as you get older. Too much baggage. You don't know what that person was like in their younger days. It just feels like too much effort and I get tired of making allowances. Grumpy old Paul :)

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The workplace these days is a battle zone in my experience. Hard to make friends there. Gossip and colleagues with many masks. You are lucky if you can keep your job, with the current economy.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is turning into a right old whinge thread. :)
No I saw a great documentary on loneliness. And it made me think that it is like the elephant in the room. We are all lonely everyday but we don't admit it. Nothing to be ashamed of, surely!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I was only talking about this to a lady yesterday as we were waiting for the bus in town .

She said that an elderly lady had been catching the bus a few days before .

This elderly lady said , " I am going home now to cry . "

Why ? ......because she would be alone for the rest of the day .

Little wonder Mother Teresa said,
“The greatest disease in the West today is not TB or leprosy; it is being unwanted, unloved, and uncared for. We can cure physical diseases with medicine, but the only cure for loneliness, despair, and hopelessness is love. There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread but there are many more dying for a little love. The poverty in the West is a different kind of poverty -- it is not only a poverty of loneliness but also of spirituality. There's a hunger for love, as there is a hunger for God.”

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh Colin. That is so sad.

I must admit that as you getmolder it is hard to make friends. We moved back here in 2009 and I knew nobody though it is my hometown as we had been away for a long time. So now we just have acquaintances at Church and that is it really. Yes, it is lonely, and yes, it would be nice to gave cloer friendships. Often, ppl don't let you into their established curcles and it is nothing to do with you veing friendly and outgoing yourselves. It just is.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
quite true for all the above. there are some good things about being alone though.

you get to think as long as you want to without being inturrupted.
the last of the ice cream belongs to you! :)
you can set your own schedule and adjust to your own body clock instead of running on someone else's time.
FREEDOM!!!! :D:D:D
if you goof up no one will tell on you.
you get to enjoy memories without having to contextualize them.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think lonely people are just suffering from self-pity? That all they need to do is go to Church and volunteer their services. Repent and pray to God for mercy for being so self-indulgent?
Yet loneliness is the human condition. It doesn't discriminate age, gender or race. And more technology has made it worse perhaps? I dunno.
I see loneliness in the community that helps me forget the paltry amount I suffer. People stuck at home, due to fear of the "real" world. It is sad because they really don't have the coping skills.
So all they need is to discover Jesus Christ? But I think they need our compassion too.

I don't feel like this is purely a religious or even a technological issue. The truth is, people can go to church and be lonely in a crowd, and if they have underlying issues like social anxiety and whatnot, that isn't necessarily going to be solved by fellowship at coffee hour, going might even aggravate it. There can also be a lot of pressure to fit in when you're in any kind of a social group, even in a church, and even if it's only pressure to say "the right" things doctrinally or whatever as opposed to a generalized pressure to fit a mold.

I also don't think technology is an evil in this regard. My feeling is that a lot of people who don't have much human contact outside the Internet, in prior generations would have simply been bookworms or people who came home and watched movies after work every day by themselves or turned on the ball game each night and drank beer on their own or whatever. The Internet actually can provide people who otherwise wouldn't have much human contact a way to have at least some elements of that contact on terms they feel more comfortable and relaxed about. The most likely alternative hanging out on the Internet a ton isn't necessarily going out and being social in the flesh, it's finding something else to do indoors that's even less social.

I think one of the best things people can do to help others with loneliness is not to be judgmental. If someone is acting a little different in a harmless way or doesn't have the right job or even a job, who cares? Ditto for people you think might have an unhealthy weight or habits, or questionable disabilities, or "the wrong" sexual orientation or beliefs or whatever. Gossiping behind their backs or trying to get them into shape (i.e. matching whatever you think they should be) doesn't really help them (because it doesn't work- if they were both able to be and wanted to be what you want them to be, they already would be), and it doesn't really help you. It just isolates them more and gets you (I mean the generic "you", not Paul or anyone here) more upset.

Also, it's notable that we can look at some people, even people we know very well, and be utterly convinced that they can change their circumstances or who they are, but be wrong about that, because we're not infallible and we don't know everything. There could be things about the person that we don't know, or even things that they don't know about themselves. There could be trauma or mental blocks that they can't get beyond. Or maybe there's nothing wrong with them- they're just different- and it is we who are failing because we aren't embracing the diversity they add to the tapestry of the human race.

For the most part in life, people are who they are, and their circumstances are what they are, and we make the choice to either accept them for who they are or not to accept them. Acceptance with conditions or acceptance with the notion of changing them until we like them is not true acceptance. Acceptance is when we can look at someone and put aside any perceived faults and just think "I love this person for who she is and I don't need her to change.".

Acceptance and inclusion are both things that I would like to see one day become a very basic part of the Christian character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You can certainly be lonely in a crowd. But do you know what? We ARE actually alone - apart from God. No one can be inside us. ecause of that, people misunderstand us and misinterpret, making us lonelier still. Only God understands us.

But. It would be nice. To have close friends, I adm it.

Upvote 0