Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yes.

The argument for the Lord’s Day, it may seem, is easy to dismiss. I don’t believe it is and it has troubled me for a long time. I can readily admit that when we, my family that is, observe worship and forsake the world the rest of the day we are truly spiritually blessed. There is a principle to weekly worship and rest, but I’m not sure if it is safe to build a doctrine or dogma on the practical benefits of a “Christian Sabbath” alone.

How I Justify a First-Day Christian Sabbath
From Sabbath to Lord's Day
The Holy Sabbath from A. W. Pink
A Case for Sabbath Obervance and Answering Some Objections

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Some of the things he believed and taught were directly contradicted by his own words and teachings and Spurgeon was aware of this fact as shown by an excerpt I posted from one of his writings above.

You didn't demonstrate that Spurgeon contradicted himself. All you demonstrated was that Spurgeon affirmed the notion of compatibilism: that God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are compatible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism
Compatibilism
is the belief that free will and determinism are compatible ideas, and that it is possible to believe both without being logically inconsistent

Seriously, if you agree with Spurgeon's explanation of compatibilism - and therefore affirm compatibilism - you've just undone your entire theology and lended credence to Calvinism :)

Once you affirm compatibilism, the end is near for your synergism ;)

He wrestled with Calvinistic teachings
No he didn't. He believed Calvinism was lifted off the pages of the Bible itself. To say he wrestled with Calvinism is to say he wrestled with the truthfulness of Scripture

and had some Calvinistic leanings in his beliefs and writings

He didn't merely have a "Calvinistic leaning", but was a full blown Calvinist by conviction and believed the god of Arminianism was a demon.

I do not serve the god of the Arminians at all; I have nothing to do with him, and I do not bow down before the Baal they have set up; he is not my God, nor shall he ever be; I fear him not, nor tremble at his presence…The God that saith today and denieth tomorrow, that justifieth today and condemns the next…is no relation to my God in the least degree. He may be a relation of Ashtaroth or Baal, but Jehovah never was or can be his name. - C.H. Spurgeon

but he was much more of what Calvinists hate as "hyper-evangelical"

Calvinists don't hate evangelism. Nor is there even such a thing as "hyper-evangelicalism". Calvinists love evangelism, and have historically been the greatest evangelists for a reason: because election drives evangelism. Without election, there wouldn't exist anyone who will positively respond to the gospel message. Without election, every single person would remain hard-hearted to the gospel message, reject it, and end up in hell. Spurgeon and all Calvinists have the same attitude about election and evangelism as the Apostle Paul had:

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

The reason Paul endured hardship, persecution, and other things is "for the sake of the elect, that they may obtain salvation".

Without election, the church pews would be empty. Without election, heaven would be empty.

than he was "hyper-Calvinistic", as he clearly rebuked hyper-Calvinism.

As well he should rebuke Hyper-Calvinism, as Hyper-Calvinism is a perversion of Calvinism, just as Pelagianism is a perversion of Arminianism.

He is upheld and admired by independent fundamental Baptists because in all of these things, he remained a fervent evangelist

As any good Calvinist is.

Your post implied that being a Calvinist is somehow at odds with being an evangelist. Both theologically and historically, that is simply not true.

Calvinists have every assurance that their evangelistic efforts will not be in vain. Calvinists sleep soundly at night knowing that their message will, without fail, bring every single sinner God intends to save to faith in Christ.
Calvinists know that evangelism has a 100% success rate.
Calvinists know that they do not need to water down or soften the rough edges of the gospel to make it more palatable to fallen men in order to get "as many responses as possible". Instead, we know that the gospel message is designed perfectly to not only bring the elect to repentance and faith, but also to serve as an indictment against those who reject it.
Calvinists know that preaching the gospel message is sufficient, and the Holy Spirit works through that message to visit sinners with salvation. They know they don't have to manipulate heart strings by playing "Just As I Am" 500 times in a church service to stir up emotion, in order to get a positive response to the gospel.

I could go on and on :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I like Spurgeon as much as the next guy and have greatly benefited from his writings, however, he was a topical preacher and not a biblical exegete. His theology, although better than mine, does have holes or gaps in it because he often preached topically. You know the old saying among the Reformed, “preach topically once a year and repent the rest of the year for doing so.”

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I like Spurgeon as much as the next guy and have greatly benefited from his writings, however, he was a topical preacher and not a biblical exegete. His theology, although better than mine, does have holes or gaps in it because he often preached topically. You know the old saying among the Reformed, “preach topically once a year and repent the rest of the year for doing so.”

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Actually Spurgeon did exegete the Scriptures when he read them publically before the sermon.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Actually Spurgeon did exegete the Scriptures when he read them publically before the sermon.

"It's true that Spurgeon was not an expository preacher. In fact, he regarded biblical exposition as something distinct from "preaching." His approach to "exposition" was simply to read a phrase and comment on it. Some of his printed sermons include an "Exposition" section, but the "exposition" was a whole different part of the worship service, distinct from the preaching." (source)

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
When our children were little we would all attend worship and spend the day resting, fellowshipping with each other and family, reading and discussing spiritual matters, preparing for the week ahead. My wife and I recently noticed how busy our lives have become now that we have a house full of teenagers. Our Sunday's are not different from the rest of the week and we are not better off for it. I can't make a claim to scripture teaching a "Christian" Sabbath but I'm certain their is a principle of resting one day in seven for worship, prayer and family.

Yours it the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
this makes no sense and I'm not going to bother to try and follow this thread.

Stick with the Bible not confessions made years ago by people long dead. whoever calvin is, is irrelevant to me. I am not of spurgeon or calvin. The church is Jesus church as He is the head.

'Jesus is Lord' is a good confession and nobody is forcing me or electing me to say it or asking me to repeat after them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Stick with the Bible not confessions made years ago by people long dead. whoever calvin is, is irrelevant to me. I am not of spurgeon or calvin. The church is Jesus church as He is the head.

'Jesus is Lord' is a good confession and nobody is forcing me or electing me to say it or asking me to repeat after them.
So you don't listen to anyone's teachings? No pastor? Nobody?

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Based on this post I would assume that once your pastors die that anything they taught would immediately become irrelevant.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Great quote from Rev. Winzer;

The Bible is the very word of God. It is God given. The translation of the Bible is a blessing of Providence. The Bible as translated is to be received and read as the very word of God. The problem with multiple translations, sometimes contradictory in meaning one from another, is that they force the Bible reader to choose between them. The Bible reader seeks God for wisdom, and makes his choice based on the evidence attainable at the time. The choice being made, he reads the preferred translation with the conviction that it is God-given. In the absence of any solid evidence to the contrary, he has no reason to alter his preference. Add to this the blessing of God upon the reading of the Bible, the important place of church authority and ministry, confessional subscription, religious vows and engagements, and other things of a like nature, and it becomes impossible to view the translation as a matter of indifference.

Rev. Matthew Winzer
Australian Free Church,
Victoria, Australia

Reactions: AndOne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums