Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I watched the movie "Flight" with Denzel Washington earlier, and when he passed out on the coffee table and his woman covered him up with a blanket, my 7 year old said, "Mom, that's like you and daddy." I've never felt so low before.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
'Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings '

Maybe that comment, Mikhael, is the prod that you are needing to do something about your problems

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I watched the movie "Flight" with Denzel Washington earlier, and when he passed out on the coffee table and his woman covered him up with a blanket, my 7 year old said, "Mom, that's like you and daddy." I've never felt so low before.

You can do it man come on for your children you can do it with Gods help you can defeat your demons. I really really really most sincerely hope and pray you get that determination... for yourself for your wife for your children for christians all over the world for christ.... suffer the withdrawl and offer it up to christ for reperition get on the cross with him..... when you feel the pain think of his when you get low think how he felt...he will give you the strengh to do it suffer WITH jesus

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

sometimes hearing things like this from others is the only way we can recognize what is actually happening in our lives, because the reality of it is too horrible for us to face on our own.
God bless your child, your wife, and you.

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My wife grew up in a family where alcohol was a problem. She has been terribly scared by it. It lead to her parents splitting up but saddly even this did not take her out of the situation as her father fought for custody and as is typical he lost and my wife had to stay with her alcoholic mother. The damage done to my wife not intentionally by her mother(who when sober is a lovely woman) if she had known she would have stopped drinking. My wife even though she had a home to live in her meals cooked in effect didnt have any parents she had to stay with her mother so had no father her mother was always drunk so she had no mother... she was akin to an orphan but where an orphan has the orphanage a place of sobriaty and care my wife lived in a home of drunken fights and drunken verbal abuse. My wife is a brave woman but easily hurt but does not show it. I have to constantly remind her of my love in reassurance. She feels she has to be in total control of everything because her mother was never in control of herself let alone the home and when she is not in control she gets upset or if she is questioned by me or my children she gets angry and upset. She has a very low self worth and feels she is unlovable that the next time she gets angry or upset i will leave her and these are only some of the scars she has of grwing up in a home where alcohol is a problem.

Your that little girls ideal man your her daddy... you need to be her rock her safety net. Your the role model for her future husband. Dont scar your daughter like my wifes mother scared her

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mea kulpa, what a moving post.

Mikhael, listen to what he says. Think of your kds, your wife, and the little one coming.

I can promise you that what mea kulpa has suggested DOES work.

Get ALL the help you can. For EVERYONES sake. If you love Christ, DO IT!

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Before i was born my father had issues with alcohol. Eventually at age 21 his stomace burst due to alcohol irritation of the stomace wall he had surgery to save his life. He could not have a drink for 2 years. After the doctors told him he could only drink a couple of pints of guiness but one led to two and two ended up being 20. One night after drinking 15 pints of guiness he lay in bed as if totally sober with a cold sweat and shaking and wanting more alcohol. He asked himself what he was doing to himself and he knew if he kept drinking he would die.

He got help and he stopped drinking. But it wasnt easy. For a longtime he could not leave the house some days he could not even get out of bed. Then after months he could get into the garden but anxiety would take hold and he would return into the house as the months passed he could get further and further before the anxiety struck. He rebuilt his life from total rock bottom. He is now 67 and still experiences anxiety and panic attacks. But in his life he learned to push his boundries of anxiety he became a nightclub disc jockee even owned his oen nightclub worked in canada and the usa (thats pretty far from home) on radio. He started and was a director of a radio station in the uk.... as he lived his life totally sober he saw those who he drank with die one by one with liver problems and other alcohol related illnesses... yes for years he struggled he still retains those scars of anxiety and panic attacks (tho now not very often) but he is alive and he has achieved things no one else in our village has ever achieved. For him when he stopped drinking he felt his life was over but in truth it was only just begining

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Alcololism is rife here in the north east of England. It is culturally ingrained. But because my father and mother dont drink i grew up where it was not ingrained on me. So when i got to drinking age yes i would have a few drinks but it was not MY culture. So i would in large part stay away from those abusing alcohol and drugs. Because of this i did not fit in with society and it led me to discovering the full extent of my culture of family values and the catholic faith. If my father had continued to drink there is a good chance i would have been lost to the drinking culture... as the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crows the chicks learn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mea kulpa

Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A friend of my fathers came to him when he was in his late 50's he asked my father about stopping drinking he wanted the truth he said how hard it was what its like not drinking etc. His eyes and skin were yellow off jaundice...His name was dickie he was a lovely man he had turned to alcohol after he found his brother dead after hanging himself from a tree in the local woods when he was in his teens... so unfortunate it was his young brother who found him. My father told him your too old your too far gone you need a lifetime to beat it and to rebuild. But you can stop drinking if you have the determination if you have something you love more than you love the drink. If you want to see your children grow up get married you can do it. Dickie tried he really really tried but my father was right he was too old he was too far gone. He died about 5 years later i remember the funeral how many people turned out to pay their respects and how after his drinking buddies gathered into the pubs and drank themselves into oblivion in a kind of sick testimony to his life.

I guess what i am trying to convey is that giving up alcohol is a young mans game. You need the strengh to beat it and the hope of the future to rebuild your life.

I think its down to you and if you want to stop or not

If you dont want to stop nothing will stop you
If you want to stop nothing will prevent you

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Im sorry to hear of your despair. I too am forced to battle demons.

....lately I've been comparing Satan to a wild animal, like a dog. I tell myself not to 'feed' the animals, because when we give in to our addictions, we're literally feeding satan our souls.

It helps me to think of it that way.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My mom put up with a lot of abuse (never physical though) from my dad due to his drinking. The tipping point where she finally decided to leave him for good was when I was about 7 or 8 and he was being his usual drunk mean self towards her and I told him to leave her alone. That was it, she said she wasn't going to have me start getting in the middle if it and defending her from him.

Of course, I didn't find out that that was the exact reason for many years later. She didn't want me to think it was my fault.

Point being, when the kids start to notice how things really are, that's when you know there is a problem. Now hopefully you will put put the drink down for good before it costs you your family.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
My mom put up with a lot of abuse (never physical though) from my dad due to his drinking. The tipping point where she finally decided to leave him for good was when I was about 7 or 8 and he was being his usual drunk mean self towards her and I told him to leave her alone. That was it, she said she wasn't going to have me start getting in the middle if it and defending her from him.

Of course, I didn't find out that that was the exact reason for many years later. She didn't want me to think it was my fault.

Point being, when the kids start to notice how things really are, that's when you know there is a problem. Now hopefully you will put put the drink down for good before it costs you your family.

Touching story.
I would listen to this if I were you Mikhael.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Michael, you cannot drink, not at all, if you want to be the man who raises your children. Your wife has been very patient with you, but she has a responsibility to your kids and likely will not tolerate it forever. The typical track these stories run is that she'll leave - because she has to leave and the kids need her to - and she'll eventually settle down with another man who will see much more of your children than you will and who will have a greater impact on their lives than you will. Some of these men end up being heaven sent. Many, very many, are not. All you have to do every day is not have that first drink. That's hard to do but it's also the easiest one to avoid.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
That's a start.
Please don't try to do this unassisted. My friend, you are chemically dependent. its something about the application of booze to the wiring of your brain. You just can't will this away.
Find somebody you can respect or at least not disrespect, and get some help. You deserve it. And your family does too.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What RKO said Mikhael.

You have said you can do it alone in the past - but you have not managed it.

This time - for the sake of your young family who wish to grow up with their father - please please get help.

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0