traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ha! Actually I have been dreading this holiday.
My dad seems to think he can take on the task of preparing a full meal since my mom is no longer with us this year. I don't mean to underestimate his capabilities, but I have eaten his food before and let me just say I am trying to get myself invited to someone else's house for dinner!

But it's important that we be together so I might slip in the suggestion we GO OUT somewhere for dinner.
Hotel Vancouver sounds cool! Hey maybe we'll see ya Blue!

Reactions: draper
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Hmm, I have some baseball games on the Saturday...then my dad and I are going up north to meet the rest of the family...it'll be my first weekend up north since, gosh, sometime in August...I'm looking forward, hopefully we get up a few more times this fall.

Upvote 0

McDLT

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟4,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Here's a bit of History, I wrote a couple years ago:

History of Canadian Thanksgiving

The first Thanksgiving is believed to have been held in 1578 by English explorer, Martin Frobisher. He had been trying to find a route to the Spice Islands in the Orient. The ceremony was held in what is now the Baffin Islands. He was later knighted and Frobisher Bay was named after him.

On October 10th, 1710, Port Royal, Nova Scotia held a Thanksgiving day to celebrate the return of the town to the English. And again in 1763, Halifax celebrated the end of the Seven Year War with a Thanksgiving ceremony.

Since 1879, Canadian Parliament has chosen many dates for Thanksgiving. After World War I, both Armistice Day (now Rememberance Day) and Thanksgiving were both held on the Monday before November 11th. Thanksgiving became it's own celebration again in 1931. Then on January 31st, 1957, Canadian Parliament declared "a day of general thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed . . . to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."; thus giving Thanksgiving a more permanent date.

Traditions

At the heart of the celebration is giving thanks; thanks for the harvest, food, family, friends. Canadians also reflect back on their ancestors' pioneering spirit, and the beauty and bountifullness of their land and people.

Food - At this time of thanksgiving people gather their family and friends near to them and have a feast of turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and pie.

Cornucopias - English farm workers had a tradition of filling a curved goat's horn with fruit and grain to give thanks for their harvest having been a good one. This horn was called a Horn of Plenty or a Cornucopia. They brought this tradition with them when they came to Canada.

Decorations - Canadians decorate their homes, churches, and places of business with hay/straw, gourds, pumpkins, corn, cornucopias, and seasonal flowers (mums, marigolds).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
traingosorry said:
I says, pardon?
Brine... it's kinda like soaking or marinating. You place the turkey in a pot or container of water, salt, brown sugar, garlic, onion... basically any "flavour" that you want to have saturated throughout the turkey so that it's not like most boring turkeys that only have the flavour on the outside (skin).

It's the most delicious thing in the world. Sadly for me, I thought everyone did this since my mother did it, as does my wife. But then I mentioned it at work one day and had people looking at me like this ---> :|

Upvote 0