There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess it's just a video glitch, but as soon as he face-slammed her into the floor, it looked for an instant like she was surrounded by a pool of blood. It cleared up, and I could see that wasn't the case, but it freaked me right out for a second.

Glad to see that there's been no outpouring of "well, she was doing something wrong, so she deserved whatever she got" like I was expecting to see.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My, what a nasty picture that paints.

That picture isn't the fault of the police. Police departments all across the nation are being tasked to provide school resource officers in direct response to the behavior of the student body. You want to blame someone for the situation, look to those causing the problem as opposed to those attempting to address it.

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That picture isn't the fault of the police. Police departments all across the nation are being tasked to provide school resource officers in direct response to the behavior of the student body. You want to blame someone for the situation, look to those causing the problem as opposed to those attempting to address it.

Well, I didn't blame the police: check back. I wasn't blaming anyone, just noting what an unpleasant picture was being painted of conditions in the schools of the United States.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Look at the schools in St. Paul here in MN. A teacher is suing the district after he got attacked. The school boards aren't doing anything to protect them. More of than not, the school boards will go in the favor of the student to avoid any sort of confrontation. We have a few families up there who have pulled their children out because they're being bullied but the teachers are powerless to stop it.

I don't condone this police officer's actions only in the sense that I really don't know what went on. It appears he lied on the police report, and that is horrible enough. However, given what I know goes on in public schools on a daily basis these days, I'm rather glad he put a stop to whatever physical altercation was about to start between the girl and another student.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to know what he put in the report, since the video gives us a brief glimpse at the very end. Students who witnessed the whole thing said she was kicking and screaming at the officer. Whether or not that warrants getting body slammed, I don't know. I DO know that she wasn't some fragile little girl like the media has been trying to characterize her as, she got suspended as a result of this incident and has been in trouble before.
Many years ago I worked at a maximum security juvenile detention center, we spent over a week training how to restrain without causing harm, with frequent retraining. The girls in this facility were generally there for violent crimes, and often assaulted staff members, in fact one girl snatched a staff radio and beat the staff member unconscious with it. If any of us had ever body slammed those girls or done anything outside of proper restraint techniques it would be job lost and charges filed, along with the possibility of a civil lawsuit from the inmate. I cannot imagine a situation outside of pulling a gun that could have justifiably resulted in this action.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Many years ago I worked at a maximum security juvenile detention center, we spent over a week training how to restrain without causing harm, with frequent retraining. The girls in this facility were generally there for violent crimes, and often assaulted staff members, in fact one girl snatched a staff radio and beat the staff member unconscious with it. If any of us had ever body slammed those girls or done anything outside of proper restraint techniques it would be job lost and charges filed, along with the possibility of a civil lawsuit from the inmate. I cannot imagine a situation outside of pulling a gun that could have justifiably resulted in this action.

Oh I agree. I think the bodyslamming was way out of line. I'm just saying that the world is a bit of a different place than it was "back then". Teachers could break up fights without getting in trouble and the need for school officers was minimal. The only time we ever had police at my school was when there was a DARE assembly or a K9 presentation.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing short of having a gun trained on someone could have justified it.

Refusal to follow the lawful order of a police officer can certainly justify that. The danger in such incidents as this is the atmosphere being created which allows children in school can refuse to cooperate in any manner; and when they suffer a consequence for their willful and deliberate non-compliance they can always cry, play the victim, and become instant celebrities. Not to mention rich. And all because they are not being educated in the ideal actions have consequences, but rather there are no consequences. Except, of course, for those who actually try and enforce rules, laws, and impose a bit of dignity. These kids know regardless of how they behave, the bleeding hearts will instantly rush to their defense and both the school and local administration will be too gutless to oppose them.

"O, brave new world that has such people in't!"

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
12. She's 12. Her face hit the concrete. But yes, that's quite the right thing for a grown man to do when a 12 year old girl doesn't immediately obey him. SMDH at the bullies in our society, some of whom are in uniform, and their supporters.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-school-cop-who-body-slammed-12-year-old-girl-n554286

Uh... huh.

Another thing of note, what the officer put in his report isn't what the video shows happened. That's just part of the reason why he was fired. Lying on police reports is a no-no.
This is your town, isn't it? Is this a regular thing? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious. My middle son goes to school down the road (or up) in Austin. They just got open carry on their campuses. I'm thinking we need to pull him, but he loves Austin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not that those are all daily occurrences in all schools, mind you. There were very few fights at my school while I was there. The school cop was mostly there to stop truancy and the like.
And in my day (many centuries and countries ago) we had no such thing as school cops. I'm still confused whether this is a recent thing, or you have always had school cops in America? There were few fights in those days - mainly boys with too much testosterone. Not to say that girls couldn't be bullies and also fight, but it was very, very rare. It was more likely to have name calling than outright fighting.

To change the subject - I have been wondering from recent events whether these kind of things have always been happening, and we just didn't see them, or whether the situation is worsening. Maybe it has happened for a long time like this, but it's only because kids have phones with camera facilities at school now that we actually see them. Maybe parents have never believed kids who tell them that their friends got hurt by school security. I'm thinking also about that 70 year old woman who was caught on video deliberately tripping the little, special needs kid. Who knows what kind of abuses have gone on that simply were not caught. :( I do know that, when my youngest kid was in kinder, a teacher pushed him. She admitted it after I went to the principal, and she said in her defense that he *deliberately* spilled his tray on her new shoes. My kid was *5* years old, without a malicious bone in his body, and was very small and fragile kinder kid. He had no idea why she'd pushed him, only that she had. She was lucky I never got into her presence, because I am afraid - to this day, even now he is 16 - that I would want to punch her. We took him out of the school. I still rage about it when it crosses my mind. People like that should be removed from the presence of children immediately.

But of course, I'm sure that my 5 year old was crying the victim too.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Refusal to follow the lawful order of a police officer can certainly justify that. The danger in such incidents as this is the atmosphere being created which allows children in school can refuse to cooperate in any manner; and when they suffer a consequence for their willful and deliberate non-compliance they can always cry, play the victim, and become instant celebrities. Not to mention rich. And all because they are not being educated in the ideal actions have consequences, but rather there are no consequences. Except, of course, for those who actually try and enforce rules, laws, and impose a bit of dignity. These kids know regardless of how they behave, the bleeding hearts will instantly rush to their defense and both the school and local administration will be too gutless to oppose them.

"O, brave new world that has such people in't!"
Nope, refusing to obey a lawful order may (and I say may, not will, but may) need to result in physical intervention, such as restraint or defensive actions, but short of drawing a gun this went too far.

Upvote 0