Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We should ask questions about what the girl did that led to her being body slammed.

According to the article linked, a number of students had gathered in anticipation that she and another girl would have a fight. It would seem the only blow that actually fell was the school cop body slamming a 6th grade girl into a concrete floor. That'll learn 'em, dern 'em. :(

Any other questions?

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, probably not. But can anyone explain to me this alien concept of a "school cop"?
Lots of public schools have at least one police officer that works at the school daily to avoid having to wait for one to arrive should anything happen between students that would require law enforcement. They are usually there to stop truancy and ditching but also to assist in breaking up fights and issue citations for things like fighting, drug possession or selling, or weapons, etc.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Lots of public schools have at least one police officer that works at the school daily to avoid having to wait for one to arrive should anything happen between students that would require law enforcement. They are usually there to stop truancy and ditching but also to assist in breaking up fights and issue citations for things like fighting, drug possession or selling, or weapons, etc.
My, what a nasty picture that paints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My, what a nasty picture that paints.
Not that those are all daily occurrences in all schools, mind you. There were very few fights at my school while I was there. The school cop was mostly there to stop truancy and the like.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He should have been charged too! TerranceL what is the police union saying to justify his actions?
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-school-cop-who-body-slammed-12-year-old-girl-n554286
In a statement to NBC News, Charley Wilkison, the executive director of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, said that the union will continue to assist Kehm with "whatever legal representation he needs."

Wilkison added that Kehm "has promised" to cooperate with the department's investigation. "However," Wilkison said, the association "is concerned that the department acted before it has had time to fully evaluate all of the facts in the matter."

Uh... huh.

Another thing of note, what the officer put in his report isn't what the video shows happened. That's just part of the reason why he was fired. Lying on police reports is a no-no.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to know what he put in the report, since the video gives us a brief glimpse at the very end. Students who witnessed the whole thing said she was kicking and screaming at the officer. Whether or not that warrants getting body slammed, I don't know. I DO know that she wasn't some fragile little girl like the media has been trying to characterize her as, she got suspended as a result of this incident and has been in trouble before.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not that those are all daily occurrences in all schools, mind you. There were very few fights at my school while I was there. The school cop was mostly there to stop truancy and the like.
And glare at kids who were in the halls after the class bell had rung.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to know what he put in the report, since the video gives us a brief glimpse at the very end. Students who witnessed the whole thing said she was kicking and screaming at the officer. Whether or not that warrants getting body slammed, I don't know. I DO know that she wasn't some fragile little girl like the media has been trying to characterize her as, she got suspended as a result of this incident and has been in trouble before.
Regardless...if his report didn't match the video...he was doomed from the start. The whole video might be longer, with more detail. Also other smartphones could have presented other angles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So is it a real cop, you know, with police powers of arrest, properly trained et al, or just a sort of bossy security guard?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟615,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
We should ask questions about what the girl did that led to her being body slammed.
Unless she pulled a weapon nothing justifies that action.....

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So is it a real cop, you know, with police powers of arrest, properly trained et al, or just a sort of bossy security guard?
It's a real cop with professional training. That's what makes this incident so bad. If you don't know how to properly restrain a 12 year old, you probably shouldn't become a school cop. This is supposed to be a professional that is put in charge to protect our kids, not be the one that actually harms them.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Regardless...if his report didn't match the video...he was doomed from the start. The whole video might be longer, with more detail. Also other smartphones could have presented other angles.
I think in all these incidents with police brutality and extra judicial killings, lying on police reports is the one thing overlooked. There have been too many incidents where they'll charge a single officer, when a group of them lied on a report. Samuel Dubose is a perfect example of lies in a report. Then again, I'm sure they'll argue plausible deniability and pin it on the officer that is toast.

Upvote 0