Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
While serving as a combat medic in Afghanistan, Sgt. Jill Stevens could always count on her Army buddies to shield her from the less sensitive aspects of a mostly male military. The soldiers, she says, developed a warning system. Off-putting jokes, racy movies and stories filled with foul language were introduced as "NFS": Not for Stevens.

Until a few months ago the Miss America Pageant would have carried the same disclaimer. Now here she is, Miss Utah, a self-described klutz in heels, competing for a crown that symbolizes femininity and well on her way to becoming the crowd favorite.

link

I'm glad to see the military represented in the Miss America pageant, but it does raise questions. What do you think of a Miss America contestant that is in the military? And do you feel it is right that her public appearances as Miss Utah are being counted as military duty?

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see that her being in the military has any bearing on her being in the Miss America contest. Members of the military are Olympic athletes, musicians, etc. especially those in the Guard and Reserves. As far as her speaking engagements, she is a recruiter and she's representing the military in her speeches.

lynn

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What she does in her off time as long as it is not bringing dishonor to the military is fine.
And if it interferes with her work, she can get time off.
If she isn't able, then the military comes first.

I believe a woman can be totally feminine and still be in the military. Sometimes the job may have her get dirty,
but a real woman doesn't mind getting dirty to get the job done. Who cares if after the job is done, she'll lounge in a hot tub for hours and pay $60 to get her nails done. (mani and pedi)

Upvote 0