• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Telling my story...

byGodslove

May 21, 2010
✟15,143.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I joined this board to get Christian feedback on this. Five and a half years ago, I was raped. I won't go into details yet, because honestly, I don't think I'm ready. I do have a question though. It has been suggested to me by many family members and close friends that I go to counseling. Have any of you been to counseling for this? Did it help, or just re-trigger all the old feelings? Do you suggest a couselor from your church, or one outside the church? I grew up in my church, so I'm kind of scared to go there...although I love my church, and am not scared at the same time. I just don't want anyone to think less of me. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry, sweetie :hug:
I have found counseling helpful, and I know that a lot of others have done so too. I personally prefer a councilor outside of the church, simply because I found my experiences very hard to talk about, and it was somehow easier with someone who didn't know me. Even then I had to write things down rather than say them at first.
But if there is someone at your church who is an experienced counsellor and with whom you feel comfortable, that would work too.
No-one who is worth knowing will think any less of you, sweetie... you are a victim, and not to blame for anything that happened. :hug:

Praying that you can find the right person to talk to, and that you can heal from this experience sweetie. PM me if you want to talk, any time.

Upvote 0

brandon.j

The Pro Security/Network Eng become Psych Major
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
My cousin, who is like a sister to me, was a rape victim and I was with her though her recovery. Rape can cause real mental harm. Please go see a rape counselor, many of them have been victims themselves and keeping it bottled up is not healthy. Their help let my cousin move on with her life. I've seen what the trauma can do first hand and being a psychology major now I have a bit more insight into trauma's effects. I know you may be scared to tell everything to a stranger but a rape counselor knows you most likely will be. I think they have one of the toughest jobs in mental health services and the few I know are some of the bravest women I've ever met because when they listen to victims they have to deal with their own memories over and over. Please give them a chance.

God Bless, you'll be in my prayers

Upvote 0