Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
school starts next week. Her schedule looks good. She has to make up some credits 3 classes I believe and they are 3 hrs a day after school. This is Friday and she says she hasn't found her password and classes start Monday. She's 16. She has a tendency to procrastinate like her dad does sometimes. how to handle this? I've been praying about it and letting her have more freedom with her schedule planning. When to let go and when to be more forceful?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
16... well that says it all. Most teens are like that. They tend to only think of short term things because their brain hasn't fully matured yet. If she was older she would realize what she needs to do is important because it will impact her future. For now though all you can do is talk top her about it. Try to help her but don't force her either. Sometimes we have to learn from our mistakes at that age because we think we are so smart. I know I was that way. My parents were very good at balancing me. They would teach and help all they could. At times they would let me fail like wanting to eat 2 pizzas, ice cream and pop in a few hours period. I learned that was a BAD idea. lol. She will realize that life as an adult is not always easy.

Has your husbands procrastination ever caused problems? Maybe tell her "Do you want to end up like how dad can be sometimes where things don't work out because he waited to long or to the last minute?". BTW apologies since I don't know your husband of course. Just making an idea.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Teens aren't the only ones who procrastinate...
I'm encountering this lots with mature adults
who are long past their teen years lol.

Let your daughter make her schedule, if she doesn't do it
then she faces the consequences...it's all part
of growing up...learning to what is asked of her etc...

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Uh..who is this, you, your sister, or a student you teaching. Or your daughter?

Are you in charge of her schedule or something? Cant she make her own decisions?
she is 16 and needs these credits to graduate in 2 years

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
school starts next week. Her schedule looks good. She has to make up some credits 3 classes I believe and they are 3 hrs a day after school. This is Friday and she says she hasn't found her password and classes start Monday. She's 16. She has a tendency to procrastinate like her dad does sometimes. how to handle this? I've been praying about it and letting her have more freedom with her schedule planning. When to let go and when to be more forceful?

clear your own schedule, and stick with her like glue until she's ready for Monday. once she realizes that it's easier to do what you ask than to put up with your relentlessly kind and loving efforts to direct her every step, and that you will sacrifice your own priorities to see that she meets hers, she'll come around :)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh i see.
Well, as a daughter who was once 16 myself and had a nagging mother I would say just let her make her own decisions and deal with consequences of procrastination.

What you can do it just set a good example, but only help her if she asks you.
I had to learn the hard way how to be really organized in my life and something that helped me was a book called 'the messies manual'.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
clear your own schedule, and stick with her like glue until she's ready for Monday. once she realizes that it's easier to do what you ask than to put up with your relentlessly kind and loving efforts to direct her every step, and that you will sacrifice your own priorities to see that she meets hers, she'll come around :)
well I do what I can do and have told her we can help her if she needs it. she says she doesn't need reminding but she clearly does.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Uh..sounds like you hovering. helicopter mother...?

That would just make her feel stink. Treat her like an adult.
Teenagers sometimes forget stuff. Fact of life. They will learn.

If its her birthday why not give her a diary so she can be organized and write it down.
Diary, post it notes, whiteboard, flip folder, organizer. Does she have these tools?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Uh..sounds like you hovering. helicopter mother...?

That would just make her feel stink. Treat her like an adult.
Teenagers sometimes forget stuff. Fact of life. They will learn.

If its her birthday why not give her a diary so she can be organized and write it down.
Diary, post it notes, whiteboard, flip folder, organizer. Does she have these tools?
I don't hover over her. I've given her a calendar to write down important stuff, I don't know if she uses it though.

Upvote 0