Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" this morning: Cruz: ‘Make the 2016 election a referendum on the Supreme Court’ | The Hill

When asked if the Senate has an obligation to at least consider a nomination that President Obama puts forward, Cruz responded, “Not remotely.”

“It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year,” Cruz said. “There is a long tradition that you don't do this in an election year. And what this means, Chuck, is we ought to make the 2016 election a referendum on the Supreme Court.”

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" this morning: Cruz: ‘Make the 2016 election a referendum on the Supreme Court’ | The Hill

When asked if the Senate has an obligation to at least consider a nomination that President Obama puts forward, Cruz responded, “Not remotely.”

“It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year,” Cruz said. “There is a long tradition that you don't do this in an election year. And what this means, Chuck, is we ought to make the 2016 election a referendum on the Supreme Court.”

Tell me, does this mean we can never have the senate consider a nominee, with 11 months left in a presidents term? I don't know how many openings there have been during that 80 year span (in the last year of a president's term), but I don't see how this is some sort of rule, that must be followed.

Lastly, what do you think Cruz's and other republicans position would be on considering a replacement justice, if a republican was in office, with 11 months left on their term?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Tell me, does this mean we can never have the senate consider a nominee, with 11 months left in a presidents term? I don't know how many openings there have been during that 80 year span (in the last year of a president's term), but I don't see how this is some sort of rule, that must be followed.

Lastly, what do you think Cruz's and other republicans position would be on considering a replacement justice, if a republican was in office, with 11 months left on their term?
No doubt, those who have repeatedly supported the extra-constitutional liberties Obama has taken throughout his tenure in office will now be highly offended that anyone in Congress would dare to suggest taking similar liberties with the confirmation process to defer confirmation of a judicial appointee.

Meh ...
Can Republicans really block Obama’s Supreme Court nomination for a year? Probably. | The Washington Post

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No doubt, those who have repeatedly supported the extra-constitutional liberties Obama has taken throughout his tenure in office will now be highly offended that anyone in Congress would dare to suggest taking similar liberties with the confirmation process to defer confirmation of a judicial appointee.

Meh ...
Can Republicans really block Obama’s Supreme Court nomination for a year? Probably. | The Washington Post

You didn't really answer my question.

If a republican was president right now, with 11 months left in their term, do you think republicans would have the position, to wait until after the election, to consider a replacement justice?

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You didn't really answer my question.

If a republican was president right now, with 11 months left in their term, do you think republicans would have the position, to wait until after the election, to consider a replacement justice?
LOL, if Democrats had control and George W. Bush was in office what would they do? :scratch:

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
LOL, if Democrats had control and George W. Bush was in office what would they do? :scratch:

Well, I am willing to say, I would imagine the democrats would say lets wait until after the election.

Now, back to my question; do you think the republicans would still be stating we should wait until after the election, if a republican was president right now?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,154,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is fascinating this insistance that a US president should not make policy decisions, judicial appointments etc. in his last year. On that basis you may as well reduce the presidential term to 3 years, and then to 2 years and then...

With thanks to an article in The Guardian, that for the life of me I cannot find, that pointed out this absurdity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is fascinating this insistance that a US president should not make policy decisions, judicial appointments etc. in his last year. On that basis you may as well reduce the presidential term to 3 years, and then to 2 years and then...

With thanks to an article in The Guardian, that for the life of me I cannot find, that pointed out this absurdity.

Yea, last I checked, president's had 4 year terms.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟375,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Judge Sri Srinivasan seems like a smart pick. He was confirmed by a 97-0 vote to the DC Circuit CoA in 2013. He's a Stanford Law alumnus, and clerked for Justice O'Connor. He worked in the solicitor general's office for Pres. G. W. Bush, and was a Deputy S.G. for Pres. Obama. He also got an interesting compliment during his confirmation hearing:

At Srinivasan's confirmation hearing, Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, now a presidential candidate, described himself as a long-standing friend dating back to their time together as law clerks in the U.S. appeals court based in Richmond, Virginia.

Cruz said Srinivasan had done a "very fine job" in answering the committee's questions.

He hasn't had a radical record since he's been on the DC Circuit. It'd be hard for Repubs to claim he's ideologically unfit for the job, when not a single one voted against him in 2013. If he were nominated, it would be crystal clear that election-year politics is the only reason they'd refuse to consider his nomination. That might play with hard-line right wing partisans, but would absolutely turn off most American voters.

http://www.ibtimes.com/who-sri-srin...e-race-replace-justice-antonin-scalia-2306734

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wouldn't that depend on who is elected president?
Not really.

First, there is likely to be a Democratic Senate.

Second, a Supreme Court nominee can be filibustered and ends up needing 60% of the Senate in order for there to be a vote. The Democrats have over 40% and now, and will certainly have more than that percentage after the election.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The ideological makeup of the court is now more liberal, Are the Republicans willing to risk 11 months of the Obama administration overturning laws?

That is an interesting point. Of course, the fear from the Republican standpoint is if Obama nominates a liberal, then the court has a "liberal" majority. While this is true, it is something of a false argument. The problem for these people is, the court is always tipped one way or another because their are 9 justices - a majority of Justices are always appointed by either a Republican or a Democrat.

The problem this year, the Republicans are used to having the majority on the court -- their have been 5 justices appointed by a Republican President and only 4 by a Democrat for the last few decades. Essentially, the Republicans are having a temper tantrum that they aren't going to be able to keep that 5th Supreme Court justice.

I think more interesting, the oldest justices now seem to be "liberal." Ginsberg is the oldest at 82; Kennedy, while nominated by a Republican is a centrist and has been the swing vote for liberal wins, is 79 -- he's older than Scalia was, and Breyer is 77.

The real Republican plan here is to pack the court with Republicans. If a Republican wins the next election they expect Ginsberg is likely to either die or step down, she'll be 91 by the time the next president (assuming it is a Republican) leaves office. Breyer will be 86, it is hard to say if he will be alive or dead -- but the key is between Ginsberg and Breyer the odds are at least one will die (or be forced to retire). The idea here, if they can replace Scalia plus replace either Ginsberg or Breyer (or hopefully both), you then have a 6-3, or even 7-3, conservative advantage on the court -- particularly if they can replace Kennedy, who will be 88.

This whole thing about a "liberal" Supreme Court is largely a smoke screen and more about playing a long game. If the Republicans win the White House, the hope is that they can remake the Supreme Court in their image giving them a Republican majority that will last decades. If they lose in November they've lost little, other than Obama will likely nominate a centrist now, whereas Clinton/Sanders would likely nominate a justice that would have more liberal views -- but the Democrats still likely only have a 5-4 advantage.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is an interesting point. Of course, the fear from the Republican standpoint is if Obama nominates a liberal, then the court has a "liberal" majority. While this is true, it is something of a false argument. The problem for these people is, the court is always tipped one way or another because their are 9 justices - a majority of Justices are always appointed by either a Republican or a Democrat.

The problem this year, the Republicans are used to having the majority on the court -- their have been 5 justices appointed by a Republican President and only 4 by a Democrat for the last few decades. Essentially, the Republicans are having a temper tantrum that they aren't going to be able to keep that 5th Supreme Court justice.

I think more interesting, the oldest justices now seem to be "liberal." Ginsberg is the oldest at 82; Kennedy, while nominated by a Republican is a centrist and has been the swing vote for liberal wins, is 79 -- he's older than Scalia was, and Breyer is 77.

The real Republican plan here is to pack the court with Republicans. If a Republican wins the next election they expect Ginsberg is likely to either die or step down, she'll be 91 by the time the next president (assuming it is a Republican) leaves office. Breyer will be 86, it is hard to say if he will be alive or dead -- but the key is between Ginsberg and Breyer the odds are at least one will die (or be forced to retire). The idea here, if they can replace Scalia plus replace either Ginsberg or Breyer (or hopefully both), you then have a 6-3, or even 7-3, conservative advantage on the court -- particularly if they can replace Kennedy, who will be 88.

This whole thing about a "liberal" Supreme Court is largely a smoke screen and more about playing a long game. If the Republicans win the White House, the hope is that they can remake the Supreme Court in their image giving them a Republican majority that will last decades. If they lose in November they've lost little, other than Obama will likely nominate a centrist now, whereas Clinton/Sanders would likely nominate a justice that would have more liberal views -- but the Democrats still likely only have a 5-4 advantage.

Yes, Republicans were hoping to make the Republican majority the case for a decade.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
THIS IS A MAJOR CHANGE

Any 5-4 ruling in favor of the conservative majority can no longer happen for the foreseeable future.

At very best, the Republicans must filibuster for over a year, and then get an moderate or two on the bench under a Republican president. Even this possibility is unlikely if they filibuster now.

The Republican hope is to work with Democrats on the next 3 nominations, 1 now, and 2 under the next president. Then, the Republicans have a chance of keeping a majority on the bench.

Upvote 0