Teaching Your Kids About Sex

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Step up and PARENT YOUR KIDS! They trust you to provide them food, shelter and love. Why can't they trust you with questions about life? They need to know that they can come to you with questions. Don't rely on other people or the media to parent your kids! Not properly educating your kids is how they end up pregnant.
On the now gone forums on FaithCommunityNetwork, one woman (an older pastors wife) said the worst beating she ever got as a kid was about age 9 or 10 when she asked "What is a 'virgin?' " After the beating her dad asked her where she ever heard such a nasty word.

She replied: "Round yon virgin, mother and child..."

Good sex ed there.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I answer whatever questions my children have about sex in an age appropriate manner. I don't see the point in hiding information from them on the subject as that info could protect them down the road and I surely wouldn't want them getting answers from their friends.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a thread on this in the Morality and Ethics folder. One guy last year posted about his proactive approach to the subject:
We addressed our kids together, it was a family talk. Both of them present and both of us present. We even talked about hormones and "when your sister seems crazy or cries all the time" and "when your brother runs out of tissues). lol We had funny moments and the kids offered some serious questions. We were honest. We talked about bodily fluids and compared them to snot or phlegm. Some questions needed tweaking because they were misinformed (no, you can't get pregnant from setting on a toilet seat after a boy pees). Yes, mom did talk about "vibes" with Addy (who had already discovered her mother's! lol). She explained that she might be tempted to use things that can hurt her, and so if she felt she wanted or needed something like a "vibe" to just drop her a note or just ask. Noah really didn't get it entirely, but we explained it to him. He blushed, but he was all ears. We talked about posters, models, and swimsuit magazines. We talked about adult magazines and entertainment. We said that as parents, we set the tone of what is acceptable in the house and for whom. We warned them both that if we discover something that we feel is offensive or terribly inappropriate we reserve the right to throw it away without warning or notification. So, if it is personal and even might offend us, keep it hidden out of respect. They really seemed thankful that we talked to them about it. Kids crave attention, knowledge, and acceptance. They found that in our talks.

We started talking about the birds and the bees at 6. We have pets. So they had questions about "What is Charlie doing on Farrah??? What is that on Charlie???" That helped. We left 7 open with periodic references to "making babies" when watching television and the subject presented itself. We also began talking about love and bonding as it relates to marriage and sex after marriage. Plenty of opportunities in Disney films about various princesses and princes seeking marriage. At 8 we opened up a little full bore and we're leaving the rest of 9 and 10 to open several subjects again as necessary. It was funny, we were watching Transfomers and there's a seen where the mom asks her son if he was "masturbating". That opened up a few questions. There are plenty of opportunities out there, you have to determine in yourself not to let them slip buy. If there is a love scene in a movie... mention it being normal for couples in love to want to be lovers... emphasize that it's so much better if they wait until after marriage though because most movies don't depict married lovers as often.

The point is... many wait until puberty starts to have the talk. But by this time kids are feeling awkward, embarrassed, self-conscious, private, etc.... so they won't open up to you. You have to catch them when it's a friendly conversation with kids who aren't feeling so personally embarrassed or ashamed. If you don't they will close up on you, shut you down, lie to you, and do whatever they can to evade the topic. They will also feel offended that you are asking personal private questions and seeking to win "mommy points" or "daddy points" late in the game. Starting young keeps it light, matter of fact, and they ask the craziest questions without as much embarrassment because it doesn't pertain to them yet. In fact, they will leave you feeling embarrassed when they ask personal questions about you and what you do. lol

Lastly, be honest. Don't lie. Be transparent. Don't skirt the truth. They can sense it and it really causes them to get the "willies" about it all. Tell it like it is. Talk about many of the joys and pitfalls you've experienced. Talk about feeling ashamed or guilty about certain things and how you had to learn that God loves you as you are and made you like you are with this as a blessing. You certainly don't have to reveal too much. But lying isn't the answer. We chose not to disclose any indiscretions of our own prior to marriage (just being real here). We decided that it would be better to laugh and say, "My first time with daddy/mommy was a really special and interesting story, and it was very special to me, we'll talk about it after you're a little older." Beyond that... we're pretty open with anything the kids ask us.

We even started practicing "knock first" policy. We chide one another if we catch someone just barging into one of our rooms ("Bulldozer!!!").

So as it relates to ages and our strategy...

6 - General info. should they ask questions. If kids see pets mating, a simple, "They are trying to make a baby." is all that is necessary.

7- Revisit for questions. Remain open to opportunities in media to talk about sex being "natural", "beautiful", a "gift from God".

8 to 9 - Be frank. Talk about the more private issues (self-petting, menstruation, privacy). Show appropriate charts/illustrations/pictures (pics of STDs are very interesting to them and gives ample warning of what can happen). This is the first "big talk". Remain open for opportunities in media. Be bold, you're in charge and if you don't have this talk with them... who knows what information they will get and what they might think they know that needs corrected. You're children, your duty.

10 - Revisit the "big talk" and continue to focus on self-respect, true beauty, self-esteem, God loves you, grace, privacy, private items, respect for one another's privacy and mommy and daddy's privacy... dangers and pitfalls.

11 - Puberty will probably be an evident reality at this point. Now start reinforcing what you've said before with privacy, openness in communication, beauty, and how what they see is the changing... not the finished product, etc. Make sure son always has tissues in his room and that your daughter is well prepared for her personal needs, hygiene etc.

12 - They will most likely not want to talk to you much at all... unless you've built that comfort level and openness.

13 to 18 (and beyond) - Hopefully you've built a good report with them and can talk about the circumstances and issues they will be confronted with, needs they might have, feelings, mistakes, etc. If you haven't... expect to be kept in the dark and always be the last to know anything.​
Be full of grace, patience, and understanding... (and did I mention patience?). Remember how it was for you growing up. It hasn't gotten easier for kids. It's only gotten harder. If they can't feel like they can turn to you without losing your love and respect.. who can they trust?

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My son and I have taken a guys' trip every year since he was about eight. Over the course of those trips, we have discussed all kinds of issues - not the least of which has been sex. It never seemed awkward to me. The expectation always was that we would talk about "guy things" on these trips. We did.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Wow. Some of you really don't know what parenting is, do you? Step up and PARENT YOUR KIDS! They trust you to provide them food, shelter and love. Why can't they trust you with questions about life? They need to know that they can come to you with questions. Sex education in public schools in america is terrible and inconsistent. Don't rely on other people or the media to parent your kids! Not properly educating your kids is how they end up pregnant.

The sex ed at the High School my son attended was excellent.

The parental involvement was terrible.

The teacher had 4 or 5 classes. Over 100 kids total, every semester. The district sends out a notification that allows you to opt out and/or to see the teacher to learn about the sex ed segment.

I went in. The teacher was rather happy with the excellent parent turn out that semester. Two parents.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟206,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is amazing how people rationalize their choices. I suppose those who choose not teach about safe sex (condom use, birth control, AND limiting number of sexual partners) because that is promoting promiscuity also do not teach about:

* The importance of designated drivers (taxis, uber, etc...) if one drinnks too much, because that is not preventing accidents, it is encouraging drunkiness.

* Not polluting our minds (purity of mind) with trash (violence and sex on TV and in books) is encouraging polluting their minds with trash.

* Gun safety because that is encouraging unsafe gun use.

* Safe food saving procedures (food is only good outside the fridge for X amount of time) because that is encouraging slothfulness (waiting until the last minute).

I guess when I gave my nephews a quarter (way back) to call us on a pay-phone if any problems arose when we left them at a skating rink, was in fact enouraging them to get into trouble. We even outlined what the problems they may encounter. Who would have thought we were in fact encouraging them to get into trouble......glad they did not think this way as their evening went off without a hitch. I tend to believe it went off without a hitch because we prepared them for all possible outcomes rather than sheilding them from potential danger.

My neice was only taught not to have sex because mom, dad, and God said so. She was not taught coping skills for reality. "Because I (God, dad, etc...) said so" works for toddlers. It rarely works for teens. She was not taught about common lines young men tend to use, appropriate come backs for those lines or general peer pressure for sex. Consequently, she fell for the "if you really love me, you will have sex with me" at the ripe old age of 13 (and a subsequent miscarriage). When she (too late) informed me of the pressure from her boyfriend, I told her to tell him "if YOU love ME you will not pressure me into something I am not willing to do." She hung her head and said she really wished she had known of that response a few months ago. She sadly felt she could not talk to her parents before or after his pressure tactics, because she feared they would have a fit. Young men who want sex know how to prey on ignorant young girls (and less common, but visa versa). Preying on the ignorant is simple for anyone who simply wants too.

Closing down communications through fear of ramifications has far greater risks than keeping the communication line open and letting your kids know they can ask and tell you anything without fear.

People eventually outgrow the mentallity that they are immortal and that nothing bad could happen to them when they become young adults. Then some of them become parents and decide nothing bad could/would happen to their kids because they have a mystical ability to prevent it through their will alone.

Ignorance of facts and reality can result in many, many outcomes; rarely are they positive outcomes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟964,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Straw man...
rolleyes.gif

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟206,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Straw man...
rolleyes.gif

I really do hope your children are the rare exception that thrive under ignorance, misinformation, and fear thus avoiding the most life changing events associated with sex as teens (death, life long STD's or pregnancy).

Actually, I really do hope all children raised in ignorance suffer no life altering ramifications; however, I know my hoping will not change the reality that most will suffer greatly due to their ignorance, misinformation and fear (pregnancy: https://www.google.com/search?sclie.......0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..0.0.0.yQFCnB3TH2g--STDs: https://www.google.com/search?sclie...rates+among+chrisitans+taught+abstinence+only)

My neice was typical. She did not thrive under ignorance, misinformation and fear. Now her life has been irreparably altered by her decisions made out of ignorance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Lanternburning,

It might be helpful if you weren't so insulting and judgemental with your posts. I've only seen two from you, and I'm already on edge.

Being direct and opinionated is one thing. Being rude is another. You might want to look up 1 Corinthians 13:5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟206,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is a chronological timeline, if not a direct corelation timeline, of my neices teens. Many factors play into this, but her preliminary ignorace was the begin of the cascade:

Ignorance lead to sex. Sex lead to pregnancy. Pregnancy lead to miscarriage. Sex and miscarriage followed by low self esteem and emotional pain. Low self esteem and emotional pain followed by self injurous behaviour and more sexual activity. Low self esteem, emotional pain and SI followed by alcohol and drug use. Drug use lead to low birth control effectiveness, and she was ignorant of this fact, so sexual activity during drug use lead to pregnancy.

Now she is a loving mother at 17 years old. She has cleaned up some of her life, but the damage done by her several fold ignorance will never be competely be undone. Good can still come from this; however, much damage and trauma has come from what was a completely curable problem. Ignorance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a theory out there that all sexual desire comes from sexual knowledge. If you have erections as a young man it is ENTIRELY due to inappropriate contentographic thoughts. That means if you are left ignorant, you will never have a sexual desire. I have heard that preached from pulpits. So while it is a minority opinion these days - it is still in circulation.

That mis-understanding of humanity is what fuels the various forms of antipathy against sex ed, IMO.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟964,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't subscribe to that theory. Even inexperienced babies get erections and touch. Sexual development does not have to equal sexual sin. My own severely autistic [non-verbal] 21yo DD doesn't know exactly what to do with her libido, and she has never been exposed to explicit sexual materials of any kind.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Wow. Some of you really don't know what parenting is, do you? Step up and PARENT YOUR KIDS! They trust you to provide them food, shelter and love. Why can't they trust you with questions about life? They need to know that they can come to you with questions. Sex education in public schools in america is terrible and inconsistent. Don't rely on other people or the media to parent your kids! Not properly educating your kids is how they end up pregnant.

And you really have no clue how the rest of the world parents. When you've lived in places where parents NEVER mention sex, and the kids turn out less promiscuous than American teens, come back and talk to us.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
There is a theory out there that all sexual desire comes from sexual knowledge. If you have erections as a young man it is ENTIRELY due to inappropriate contentographic thoughts. That means if you are left ignorant, you will never have a sexual desire. I have heard that preached from pulpits. So while it is a minority opinion these days - it is still in circulation.

That mis-understanding of humanity is what fuels the various forms of antipathy against sex ed, IMO.

Another misunderstanding. A very odd one, at that.The people who are ahead of America in this regard (turning out 'safer' teens) actually know what they're doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't subscribe to that theory. Even inexperienced babies get erections and touch. Sexual development does not have to equal sexual sin. My own severely autistic [non-verbal] 21yo DD doesn't know exactly what to do with her libido, and she has never been exposed to explicit sexual materials of any kind.
I don't any more, not sure I ever really did. But I have been around them enough to know they would INSIST that your DD did get exposed to sexually explicit stories or pictures or something by someone at some point. Otherwise she would still be just like she was (sexuality-wise) at age 4. No desires, no feelings no nothing.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I really do hope your children are the rare exception that thrive under ignorance, misinformation, and fear thus avoiding the most life changing events associated with sex as teens (death, life long STD's or pregnancy).

Actually, I really do hope all children raised in ignorance suffer no life altering ramifications; however, I know my hoping will not change the reality that most will suffer greatly due to their ignorance, misinformation and fear (pregnancy: https://www.google.com/search?sclie.......0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..0.0.0.yQFCnB3TH2g--STDs: https://www.google.com/search?sclie...rates+among+chrisitans+taught+abstinence+only)

My neice was typical. She did not thrive under ignorance, misinformation and fear. Now her life has been irreparably altered by her decisions made out of ignorance.

Could you possibly be more naive?

Please step outside your furiously western-centric notions on parenting for 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Here is a chronological timeline, if not a direct corelation timeline, of my neices teens. Many factors play into this, but her preliminary ignorace was the begin of the cascade:

Ignorance lead to sex. Sex lead to pregnancy. Pregnancy lead to miscarriage. Sex and miscarriage followed by low self esteem and emotional pain. Low self esteem and emotional pain followed by self injurous behaviour and more sexual activity. Low self esteem, emotional pain and SI followed by alcohol and drug use. Drug use lead to low birth control effectiveness, and she was ignorant of this fact, so sexual activity during drug use lead to pregnancy.

Now she is a loving mother at 17 years old. She has cleaned up some of her life, but the damage done by her several fold ignorance will never be competely be undone. Good can still come from this; however, much damage and trauma has come from what was a completely curable problem. Ignorance.

Most Asian girls grow up in "total ignorance" but don't crash and burn in such spectacular fashion. It's incredibly naive, as stated, to think this kind of dysfunction is a result of lack of information. Naive, or an attempt to lazily shut gates after horses have bolted.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Pregnant at 17 has nothing to do with parents not discussing sex. If it did, China would have as many teen moms as America does.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟964,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is "discussing sex (facts and consequences)" and there is facilitation. They are not the same thing.

A prophylactic might prevent pregnancy & STDs, but it won't protect against an unGodly soul-tie.

Upvote 0