Tattoos

F

Fiona01

I know some here feel it is wrong, that we are to keep our bodies as natural as possible as they are temples of the Holy Spirit once we are received by Christ. I have a tattoo myself, because it was done years ago.... I can't say I regret it, but if given the chance, I probably would not have it done again!

I don't personally think there is anything immoral about having a tattoo... I know they are not a natural part of our body, but neither is a woman who wears lipstick and mascara every day -it's all addition to the natural body in one way or another. As is wearing jewlerry, or dyeing your hair a different colour. The difference is, of course, that tattoos are permenant, so be careful that you really feel sure about having one.

I saw some beautiful Christian tattoos recently, of Christ and the fish symbol. Some love it, some hate it. Some think it's wrong. One thing I will say, is that the Christian tattoo causes people to ask questions, it's like an opening to evangalise because the tattoo gets peoples attention - perhaps in that way it is a good thing. "So, how long have you been a Christian?" or "What does that fish symbol mean?" etc. Do you get my drift? Good can perhaps come of something like that.... but it's a mixed bag. We are to treat our bodies so well, as followers of the Lord...the more I think of it all, the more confused I feel about this subject....!!

Upvote 0

ferreira

Dec 14, 2011
Canada
✟7,696.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've always wanted to get a tattoo. Then I got saved. Now, the Holy Spirit convicts me every time I think about it, so I don't think it's right.

Can you expand on why you dont think its right? Is it a personal choice or does the Bible condem it?

My reason for asking is, I was watching an MLB game and there was a player covered in tattoos and they talked about an interview that player gave in which he said he gave his heart to the Lord and was saved.

Upvote 0

Fencepost

The Evangelist
Jan 27, 2012
Oolitic, IN
✟15,743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In the old testament it was an abomination in the sight of the Lord for the children of Israel to mark thier body. So although they are pretty to the human eye it is wrong and an abomination in the sight of God.

Leviticus 19:28 "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Can you expand on why you dont think its right? Is it a personal choice or does the Bible condem it?

My reason for asking is, I was watching an MLB game and there was a player covered in tattoos and they talked about an interview that player gave in which he said he gave his heart to the Lord and was saved.

It is condemned by God, in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament).

And it's not that "I don't think it's right", it's that the Holy Spirit convicts me when I think of it. That's not me, that's God making the call. I feel my body is a temple of Christ. I truly doubt Christ would get a tattoo. That's my reasoning. My temple is supposed to remain pure and clean in the eyes of man and God.

And just because someone say "I'm a Christian" carries no weight at all. You will know His sheep by the fruits of their spirit.

Lil Wayne gets on stage and thanks "God" for all that he's done, do you really think Lil Wayne is a born again Christian? I don't think so. Not judging his soul, just the fruits of his spirit.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
I don't think so, no. There is no mention of that being ok in the Bible. And I think to show we are Christians, we should emulate Christ? Let others see Him through us? That's how people will know that we have the Spirit - the fruits of our Spirit and the emulation of Christ.

I don't need a tattoo to show that I'm a Christian. Remember - anyone can get a tattoo, but only those with the Spirit will have the fruits of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just like with piercings, its a pretty split topic. Although more people tend to say its a sin to do things to your body like use have tattoos, piercings, smoke, eat alot and gain weight.....etc.

In the end many ignore evidence in the bible, but thats their choice. Its why we have free will. We don't have to answer to each other, only God. So if someone sins, they may be able to "do what they want" and ignore advice. But when they see God there will be no excuses.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see either side of it, yes we should treat our bodies as temples and take care of them.

"if thy hand offend thee, cut it off"

Why would cutting off ones hand be a good thing if it were to avoid sin, yet "wrong" in the eyes of God if a tattoo of faith were to have the same outcome by for whatever reason the tattoo reminds them where their focus should be?

I have tattoos (over 10 years ago) and piercing (17 years ago) so maybe it is just my own biased opinion.

Trying to quit smoking though so I am probably not the best to listen to.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
No one is saying that if you got tattoos when you were younger when not saved that you're blaspheming God's temple, I am just saying that as a Christian now, with no tattoos, and I DO have a piercing (but that was years ago and it's long since been grown in), I do not want to get it redone, and I do not want to get a tattoo.

Why? Because my body is the temple of Christ, He lives in me, and as I emulate Christ, I cannot justify nor see Christ getting a piercing or a tattoo, so why would I?

I want people to see Christ through me, so I am not going to graffiti His temple.

Upvote 0

lemon-aid stand

Sep 12, 2011
canada
✟422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am curious to see what everyone thinks about tattoos.

I think they are ok as they can be used as ways to express ones self.

What do you think?

marking your body is never okay.. if God wanted us to to express ourself with marking in our skin. He would have made trhat as clear as when He commanded the jews to be circumcized.. you can justify your sin as okay all you like.. but it is as unatural to mark up the body with ink as it is for two men to have sexual relations.. its not natural.. and against God's order of things..

Upvote 0

like eagleswings

discovering
Dec 28, 2011
england
✟16,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
if a christian gets tattoos, pearcings i dont think its pleasing to god,in my opinion. also in the old testament god told the jews not to,it was also
used as a form of whitch craft. and tribalism ect therefore it can open you up the to demonic sprits.
best to pray and ask god about it before you try,

thats my view,.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
D

DreamerOfHearts

I am curious to see what everyone thinks about tattoos.

I think they are ok as they can be used as ways to express ones self.

What do you think?

It is totally nobody's business. Did you know in Israel the government pays people, a lot of people, to study the Law? It is totally nuts.

Really, Jesus of the gospels would care about tattoos? What did he care about? What did he do. I am sure Jesus of many churches would have a fit and slam down the anti-christ tyrant hammer -- and that ain't Jesus, no offense.

That is the anti-christ and Satan.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
It is totally nobody's business. Did you know in Israel the government pays people, a lot of people, to study the Law? It is totally nuts.

Really, Jesus of the gospels would care about tattoos? What did he care about? What did he do. I am sure Jesus of many churches would have a fit and slam down the anti-christ tyrant hammer -- and that ain't Jesus, no offense.

That is the anti-christ and Satan.

Jesus Christ is God. God told the Israelites NOT to mark their bodies in the Old Testament.

Ergo, Jesus Christ said not to. So yes, apparently Jesus Christ does care about tattoos, because He warned against it 2000 years prior to His walk on this earth as Jesus.

Upvote 0
T

TruthSeeker2012

Jesus Christ is God. God told the Israelites NOT to mark their bodies in the Old Testament.

Ergo, Jesus Christ said not to. So yes, apparently Jesus Christ does care about tattoos, because He warned against it 2000 years prior to His walk on this earth as Jesus.

And Jesus does not change:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0