California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm fairly certain tattoos are forbidden if one wishes to work undercover for the CIA or FBI. They make one too identifiable.

Tattoos and body piercings actually do not disqualify a person from working for the FBI in any capacity. I already knew that from personal experience but I looked up the CIA policies out of curiosity.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq

"Tattoos will not disqualify you from gaining employment at the CIA, and all professionally-qualified persons are encouraged to apply."

Reactions: Crwth
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tattoos and body piercings actually do not disqualify a person from working for the FBI in any capacity. I already knew that from personal experience but I looked up the CIA policies out of curiosity.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq

"Tattoos will not disqualify you from gaining employment at the CIA, and all professionally-qualified persons are encouraged to apply."

Good and useful quote.

I think the key in the original point is for covert work, 'undercover'.

Like, if I say I ain't J. Joe Bloggs, but every jihadist in town knows that J. Joe Bloggs's arm is inked with the name of his ex-gf, then the doability of one's snitching takes a nose dive...

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good and useful quote.

I think the key in the original point is for covert work, 'undercover'.

Like, if I say I ain't J. Joe Bloggs, but every jihadist in town knows that J. Joe Bloggs's arm is inked with the name of his ex-gf, then the doability of one's snitching takes a nose dive...

Oh, I was absolutely aware of that key point when I wrote my response. :) Whether or not a tattoo or piercing would be relevant would significantly depend on the nature of the undercover work. Obviously the nature of the tattoos would be a factor as well. Some would make a person identifiable, and others would not at all. In some instances it could actually be advantageous. It's just untrue that it's verboten to have one and work in any capacity as an undercover agent.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I was absolutely aware of that key point when I wrote my response. :) Whether or not a tattoo or piercing would be relevant would significantly depend on the nature of the undercover work. Obviously the nature of the tattoos would be a factor as well. Some would make a person identifiable, and others would not at all. In some instances it could actually be advantageous. It's just untrue that it's verboten to have one and work in any capacity as an undercover agent.

Maybe in theory it might not be. But in practice for example if you are holed up in Beirut and the local enthusiasts for a variety of causes are busy extracting your fingernails painfully, one by one, in order to encourage you talk, it's likely to be more plausible for you to claim to be someone that you are not, than if your tattoo leaves them in no doubt who you are.

On the other hand, most tattooed Christians would probably not be thinking of training to be a plausible liars, as a career.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
... have thought about getting it or a variation of it in a tattoo one day. Emma The Vibrantly Beautiful Angel.... Photo by arabesque1997 | Photobucket I'm not that knowledgeable about tattoos yet and don't know how easily an artist can replicate an original design? There are some extremely talented tattoo artists here, so I think they could, but I'm not sure. I might get a modified version of it, like a butterfly with peacock wings and a small verse. I like "luceat lux vestra" (let your light shine / Matthew 5:16). I need to have a professional appearance for the career I want to pursue so I would just get it someplace that I could easily cover up, like on the back of my shoulder.

You mean, like for when you turn 18 and officially become an adult and will be old enough to have it done?

It's a thoughtful design.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You mean, like for when you turn 18 and officially become an adult and will be old enough to have it done?

It's a thoughtful design.

Thank you. :)

I doubt I'd get a tattoo that intricate at 18. If I get one then it would probably be very simple and small. It will probably be a few years before I get any, though. My parents said I should wait until I'm at least twenty to get a tattoo so it's not just a decision I make in the euphoria and novelty of legal adulthood.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I hear both sides of this; good and bad. I am a Christian who is a strong believer in the Lord but I have many tattoos and love them. Any thoughts?

i don't think we're allowed to tell the truth about the op.

the cia is much less rewarding, much less strict, much less thorough, just about much less everything than Yhvh and Yhvh's Kingdom (Heaven).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. :)

I doubt I'd get a tattoo that intricate at 18. If I get one then it would probably be very simple and small. It will probably be a few years before I get any, though. My parents said I should wait until I'm at least twenty to get a tattoo so it's not just a decision I make in the euphoria and novelty of legal adulthood.

You have such a good turn of phrase.

So your appointment with Kat von D probably will not be until your 20th or 21st b-day, approx., I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, there is another one in the spirit filled part of the forums.
It kind of surprised me that there should be such encouragement to get inked on that part of the Christian forums. Guess I'm living in a different day an age.

yep

remember abortions are encouraged by many counselors even in and from religious(so-called) organizations, and many many many other things are practiced and encouraged in 'christian' type circles that are plainly contrary to Yhvh's Plan and Purpose in Yeshua and His instructions declared in Scripture.
this opposition to what Yhvh says started in earnest right after the apostle paul departed (who remembers back THAT FAR ? ) ? :)

Reactions: CFAntiseptic
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
yep

remember abortions are encouraged by many counselors even in and from religious(so-called) organizations, and many many many other things are practiced and encouraged in 'christian' type circles that are plainly contrary to Yhvh's Plan and Purpose in Yeshua and His instructions declared in Scripture.
this opposition to what Yhvh says started in earnest right after the apostle paul departed (who remembers back THAT FAR ? ) ? :)

So people with tattoos or people who talk about them without denouncing them, are similar to abortionists?

Kind of strange comparison.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems there is more in all the ways the world is slipping into the church.
And maybe it is just because many younger christians have not been maturing in the Word.
They hear a little about getting saved and then go back to what the world calls for.
There is such joy in a close walk with Jesus, it cannot compare to anything this old world can offer.
God puts purity in our hearts.

Reactions: CFAntiseptic
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And maybe it is just because many younger christians have not been maturing in the Word.
They hear a little about getting saved and then go back to what the world calls for.
There is such joy in a close walk with Jesus, it cannot compare to anything this old world can offer.

I agree with what you say, basically.

In terms of the topic of this thread, I don't see how this necessarily precludes a believer sincerely wanting to witness with John 3.16 or a Christian fish sign <>< on his or her wrist: a lot of Christians seem to do this, and it leads to profitable discussions, which is presumably the whole idea.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What do tattoos have to do with worldliness or impurity? I mean, sure, a tattoo of "Jesus sucks" or a graphic sexual image would be a problem, but in general, what's the big deal?

(And FTR, in my case it's not a matter of being a "young" Xian. I've been saved since early 1980 and "Spirit-filled" since early '84.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, telling Christians they are not real Christians if they have tattoos is going too far. When it comes to the rules of outfits, Christians have always had very different opinions - from the one extreme that one should never wear clothes that are fashionable or any jewellery at all to the other extreme saying that wearing a mini-skirt and a skimpy top (for women) is perfectly fine.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of that. I don't have tattoos, but mainly because of knee problems etc. which might make me need to have more MRT's in the future and that could be difficult with tattoos, plus I have sensitive skin and can be quite allergic to stuff. However, I don't generally think they are wrong.

We should certainly not harm our bodies and that means being responsible when getting tattoos and piercings, getting them in a clean environment, taking piercings out if they get infected or not even getting them in places where they could do much damage. I have several earings and a nose ring and wouldn't have anything else pierced since I have seen infected lips, navels and eyebrows.
As for harming the body, however, we often do that more by not exercising enough or eating too much, or the wrong things, not getting enough sleep etc. and a lot of people seem to think that is perfectly alright for Christians.

When it comes to drawing attention to oneself, these days it takes lots of tattoos or piercings to do that. People have so many different styles today that I certainly wouldn't notice a tattoo (unless it is badly done) or a piercing. However, I have seen Christian women who tried to go into the opposite direction, trying to "dress ugly", in unfitting clothes that were clearly out of date and purposefully ugly and most of the time, these women were drawing attention to themselves because they looked very unhappy, trying to make their lives as miserable as possible. In my opinion, that sends out the wrong messages about Christ.

Remember that God has made beautiful things and He has given us a sense of beauty as well. For some people, that might include tattoos, if they are nicely done and not of anything that is against God, and for some people, that includes dyed hair or a piercing. As long as we don't harm our bodies (I mean really harm them) or dress in clothes so revealing our bodies tempt someone, I don't think there is a problem.

And I do wonder why so many Christians seem to be desperate to find ways to make their own lives harder.
So are faith based tattoos fairly widespread where you live (someplace in Europe)?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, she doesn't, but her twin sister has a few meaningful tattoos and she loves them. It's simply a matter of personal preference. ..

It's certainly true that a lot of women now do opt to have it done. (It used to be almost wholly a man thing but not any more.)

Upvote 0