✟8,716.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
give it to me straight.

I was approached by my pastor tonight and asked about baptism. I’m thinking they wanted to do it at the last “outdoor” fellowship in a couple weeks. I told him that at this point I was just not ready and that I would pray about it as something to do in the spring. I’m wondering if that was the right decision. I felt kinda on the spot and now that I’ve thought about it more I’m regretting deciding so quickly. I don't know where I will be a year from now and I'm fearing if I relocate an opportunity will not present itself to me again for sometime. (Praying we don't relocate but it's a definite possibility within the next year as we are buying a home)

So spill it. Why now at 31 would I want to be baptized again? (I was baptized Catholic as an infant)

backstory: former devout Catholic who started questioning two years ago and who's path has now brought her to biblical Chrisitanity. I've been attending a Free-Will Baptist church for the last 6 weeks and after a long church search I've finally found a home.

it's not that "I'm" not ready...it's more that I haven't told my immediate family that I am no longer Catholic. I feel like it's something that I want my family around for, but I don't think I'll have their support. That said, I'm not giving them a chance to support me either.
zzzdunno.gif
It's just not a good time (is there ever?) to bring it up. The Catholic teachings on baptism are VERY different and I know that in their eyes it will be like saying my first baptism was not valid and a "slap in the face" I've touched upon not attending Catholic church with them in the past and not gotten a warm reception.

Personally - with my re-dedication to Christ two weeks ago - this is just the next step and it feels natural, but the fact that I have yet to tell my parents/family bothers me.

I know that the pastor and his wife would sit and talk with me about it. He asked me at the end of service tonight. I know he completely understands - his family was also Catholic although he was a non-believer until the day he was saved. So he totally gets the family pressure aspect.

It's just such a hard year - my brother is getting ordained within the next year to the priesthood. My father is a Deacon. Seriously - Catholicism is the family business.

Leaving the church after all this time is just such a big decision - probably the biggest of my adult life... I would say even bigger than marriage, because marriage is only in this life, but my salvation is forever.

This baptism is representative of my love and dedication for Jesus as my Lord and Savior, but I also know it's also a closing chapter in my life and the start of a new beginning.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please understand that I can completely understand what would be involved with leaving the Catholic church. It equates to the same thing as a Jew leaving Judaism to become Messanic.

Also, you need to understand that there is a world of difference in Baptists understanding of Baptism and Catholics understanding.

Although Catholicism sometimes accepts a baptism by other faiths, Baptist might not accept a baptism by Catholicism. Just because the difference between the two.

In reality, our eternal salvation is not based upon whether or not one is baptized. You will not find in Jesus' words any condition for etenal life based on baptism.

There is the context of Mark 16:16, but I can tell you that I have looked at the oldest and most complete copy of the New Testament Greek manuscript the "Codex Sinaiticus" and Mark 16:16 is not included in the oldest Greek manuscript.

And I also understand that stepping away from the "Catholic" faith is a big deal with your family. But, I should also point out that in the scriptures, there was not time constraints on when believers were baptized. Many a person was baptized immediately in the accounts recorded in Acts.

Just as my own personal opinion, I wouldn't wait. I know you want your family present for this, but even at that, even if they accepted and came to witness it, it will still cause friction within your family. And either way, your in this situation:

rock>me<hard place

Your in the unique situation of being between a rock and a hard place.

There is no easy decision in this matter. And ultimately, the decision is yours.

It really does not matter what I say, or the next person. The decision is yours and yours alone. But I would add only one piece of scripture. And that is this:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him." -Acts 8:36-38 (KJV)

I hope and pray that at whatever your decision may be, that you trust the Lord and ask for His guidance above all others. He will never lead you to the worng decision.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ultimately it is your decision whether to be baptized now or not, your salvation doesn't depend on it except in the case that you refuse to be baptized. Those who refuse to be baptized refuse to be publicly identified with Christ. Given your situation I think for you to be baptized would do exactly what baptism was intended to do. In New Testament times those who were baptized were most often ostracized by their families because they rejected the teaching that they were brought up with. It took true commitment to Christ to be baptized as it will for you. You have an opportunity to do something that few have in this age: make your commitment to Christ known publicly even though it may cost you your family. The question you must answer for yourself is are you ready to sacrifice your relationship with your family to be identified with Christ? May He give you grace to answer.

Upvote 0

SteveR2021

Steve
Mar 6, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟16,123.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
But, I should also point out that in the scriptures, there was not time constraints on when believers were baptized. Many a person was baptized immediately in the accounts recorded in Acts.

Just as my own personal opinion, I wouldn't wait.

Amen. I agree wholeheartedly with what DeaconDean has written. May God bless you as you take this step of obedience.

Upvote 0

fireman1173005

Feb 6, 2007
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you have truly accepted Christ as your savior then why wait? You should be excited about following in Jesus' foot steps in this act of obedience. Catholics do baptize by sprinkling at birth, but how can you be baptized when you don't have the knowledge to either accept or reject Jesus' saving grace. Baptism is an outward expression of what has taken place in your heart. Also Baptist baptize by immersion because that's what we believe happened in the Bible. It say's Jesus was baptized in the River Jordan.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have truly accepted Christ as your savior then why wait? You should be excited about following in Jesus' foot steps in this act of obedience. Catholics do baptize by sprinkling at birth, but how can you be baptized when you don't have the knowledge to either accept or reject Jesus' saving grace. Baptism is an outward expression of what has taken place in your heart. Also Baptist baptize by immersion because that's what we believe happened in the Bible. It say's Jesus was baptized in the River Jordan.

I think the OP fully realizes what is involved in baptism. But I don't think you fully understand just what a major step this is in her life to walk away from Catholicism and ultimately, being ostracized from her family.

This is a big thing, and a very big deal right now.

Let me just reiterate what I have said before and what my brother Ron said:

It really does not matter what I say, or the next person. The decision is yours and yours alone. But I would add only one piece of scripture. And that is this:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him." -Acts 8:36-38 (KJV)

I hope and pray that at whatever your decision may be, that you trust the Lord and ask for His guidance above all others. He will never lead you to the worng decision.

Ultimately it is your decision whether to be baptized now or not, your salvation doesn't depend on it...In New Testament times those who were baptized were most often ostracized by their families because they rejected the teaching that they were brought up with. It took true commitment to Christ to be baptized as it will for you. You have an opportunity to do something that few have in this age: make your commitment to Christ known publicly even though it may cost you your family. The question you must answer for yourself is are you ready to sacrifice your relationship with your family to be identified with Christ? May He give you grace to answer.

I think we all are in agreement that you should take this step, and we'll all be remembering you and the decision you have to make.

God Bless

Till all are one.​

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Folks, infant baptism and adult baptism represent different things. Infant baptism is the congregation saying "we accept this kid," adult baptism is the adult accepting the congregation. They are not contradictory because they deal with separate issues, even if they use the same term.

Saint_Rita, if you don't feel like being baptised, don't. Not being baptised is not rejecting Jesus in itself, just as skipping church every once and a while is not rejecting Jesus (although someone rejecting Jesus would reject baptism and church completely, but this does not mean that a Christian not participating in these works is somehow less saved).

DeaconDean said:
In reality, our eternal salvation is not based upon whether or not one is baptized. You will not find in Jesus' words any condition for etenal life based on baptism.

QTF.

You only need to be baptised to be a Baptist, and we don't have a monopoly on Christ (or we wouldn't need to call ourselves Baptists, would we?).

mlqurgw said:
Those who refuse to be baptized refuse to be publicly identified with Christ.

It's refusing one method of being publically identified with Christ. Its a work, and nothing more.

fireman1173005 said:
Catholics do baptize by sprinkling at birth, but how can you be baptized when you don't have the knowledge to either accept or reject Jesus' saving grace.

The word Baptism is used to refer to both Catholic and Protestant baptisms, but infant baptism is a different idea, and applying adult baptism theology to infant baptism is like applying (or rather, misapplying) the commandment "don't murder" to the Israelites' wars on the Canaanites ("killing is wrong when it is murder, so it was wrong for the Israelites to kill the Canaanites in wars.")

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, sister in Christ,

Baptism in Scripture is portrayed in one way, as a step after accepting Jesus as saviour. it is a testimony of your faith and a testimony of the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Infant baptism was brought into Christianity because of the fear of early Christians when mortality rates were extremely high, and the early church wanted to ease the fears of parents. Today, Protestants do use dedication to show the parents' resolve to raise children in Godly ways with Godly teaching. This is not in any way baptism, but is a dedication or christening. An infant has no way to make a decision for Christ, as they do not have the mental capacity.

We are commanded in Scripture to be baptized. Because Scripture only shows baptism of adults after their confession of faith, and never shows infant baptism as a practice supported by Scripture, I would follow the example of Scripture.

The argument most often cited for infant baptism is that Jesus tells His disciples to bring children to Him. But, how is that really done? This is done by bringing children up in Godly ways and by bringing them into a relationship in Jesus. There's nothing really there to support infant baptism.

Now, this is me talking about Scripture. The real thing I think you should do is research the Scriptures about baptism. Disregard any preconceived notions, whether they are to follow the pastor's teaching, or the teachings of your priests. Go in there to search what God says about baptism, and you will find what you should do. No man nor any Christian denomination (Catholic or Protestant) has every theology right. Only Scripture is absolutely correct.

God bless you in your search for the answer.

In Christ,
Dave

PS- Whatever you decide, decide based on Scripture. And, remember that it is never too old to right a wrong. (I am not saying you did anything wrong, but am just saying that there is no time like the present if you find support for what I have said in Scripture.)

The mode of baptism is less important than obedience to God. I believe in baptism by immersion, when it is possible.

Upvote 0

Saint_Rita

Oct 31, 2005
✟8,716.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think the OP is right -I really need to research - and do it based alone on scripture. (with some guidance of course) I do agree with adult baptism, but I guess it's the invalidation I feel about my own infant baptism.

DeaconDean - you totally hit the nail on the head with your post. I think you are the first person I've come across who really... truly gets it. I know my family will not disown me, but I know they will be VERY disappointed with my actions and will pray fervently for me to come back to the church. Just the sound of disgust in my sister's voice when she saw my name on the church phone list which God had me FORGET to move off the seat before she sat down is only a precursor of things to come. I think they suspect, but I have not come right out and told them. The 45 minute drive makes things a bit easier.

The biggest problem I'm going to have is that my father has baptized all 3 out of 4 of his grandchildren... (my two nieces and my 3 y.o.) I have not made plans to have my 2nd baptized out of shear confusion. We are supposed to honor our parents, and I know that not having my baby baptized now is killing my father. Should I let him be baptized in a faith that I don't believe in just to keep my parents happy? The thing with Catholics is "once a Catholic always a Catholic" So although we might not attend a Catholic Church with an infant baptism there would always be hope for them that we may someday return...

I have an appt with my pastor on Tuesday and I'm hoping he'll be able to guide me a bit. He is a former Catholic who's parents are only JUST NOW accepting his ministry. He's been a minister for quite sometime, but his own mother only just came to his church for the first time last month. How sad is that? It doesn't give me much hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PastorJim

Jul 12, 2006
✟3,601.00
Faith
Baptist
Folks, infant baptism and adult baptism represent different things. Infant baptism is the congregation saying "we accept this kid," adult baptism is the adult accepting the congregation. They are not contradictory because they deal with separate issues, even if they use the same term.

I'm not sure how you got this idea, but that's not exactly true.

Catholicism believes that babies are "baptised" in order that they can have the "stain of original sin" removed and be in a "state of grace".

On the other hand, the Biblical model that Baptists follow is that baptism is a symbolic act, representing our being crucified with Christ and raised to new life in Him, and has traditionally been a way for the believer to publically confess his faith in Christ and to identify with the local church.

Upvote 0

BlessedMoMof2

Just Saved
Sep 24, 2008
Missouri
✟7,636.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Yes i agree with this statement.. I was just baptised on the 14th of this month and have no regrets its one of the most important decisions in my Christian life i have made thus far...If you are ready to commit why wait?

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you've already had some good advise, so I'd just like to add my personal experience.

My family like yours is Catholic. I even taught 2nd grade catechism. My mom's side of the family is Lebanese and went back in generations of tradition. Catholicism was just as much part of my identity as my Lebanese heritage! Steeped through, it was part of who I was!

My family at first did not think I was becoming Baptist, just that I was leaving "the faith". I invited everyone to my baptism at a "non-denominational" church... which seemed easier for them to accept. I did not tell them I "renounced" the faith or anything of the like... I just invited them to my baptism and also showed them my church faith statement.

If your interested in seeing it, it's at www.woodsidebible.org

NO ONE showed, but no one said a word about it, it was if they never received the invitation and it never happened! EEK!

I asked my parents the week before and they said they don't believe in what I'm doing, and wouldn't go... I asked my sister and she said she didn't know it was important to me! :(

They all attended my kids "parent-child dedications", with the clear understanding that it was NOT baptism. I don't know why they approved of that, but not my baptism.

Over the years (it's been 4 years now), it has given me ample opportunity to talk to them about my faith and witness to them. I know that they are not all Christians... my dad in particular will openly express that he doesn't trust in Jesus for his salvation. My mom will say she's "saved"... I just don't know exactly what that means to her...

In the end, I think it's something that's between you and God and your fellow Christians (since it is an OUTWARD symbol of your inward faith). I do encourage you to do this, in obedience to God. You will see his blessings (maybe not right away) in your obedience to Him! Maranatha!

oh... and I encourage you to talk to your pastor too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,340.00
Faith
Baptist
One afternoon I asked an acquaintance of mine, the rector of a large Roman Catholic Cathedral in a very large city in the U.S., what his personal views were regarding water baptism. His reply, after a few seconds of hesitation, was, &#8220;I believe that the Roman Catholic Church has a theological problem with that.&#8221; He then went on to tell me that when the members of his parish who were baptized as babies ask him to baptize them as believing adults he baptizes them. I asked him if the Bishop knew of this, and he told me that he did and that he does not approve but that there are a number of theological issues that the Bishop personally believes need to be left up to the individual Christian to work out for himself. A few years later, I attended the midnight Christmas Eve Mass at that cathedral and that Bishop preached a sermon on the necessity of being born again for salvation. His understanding of being born again, however, was much more within the parameters of contemporary Roman Catholicism than the parameters of mainstream Baptist theology.

I have never been a Roman Catholic, but as a student of the interpretation of the New Testament from the first century through the present I have studied Roman Catholicism and the history of its development and evolution and I have a great deal of respect for some Roman Catholic scholars who have contributed greatly to our understanding of the New Testament and the oral tradition of the First Century Church. An excellent resource for understanding the Roman Catholic Church is the 14 volume collection, The Catholic Tradition, 2000 Years of Great Writings, edited by Rev. Charles J. Dollen, Dr. James K. McGowan, and James J. Megivern and published by Consortium Books.

When a Roman Catholic stops attending mass and begins attending a Baptist church it is very helpful if the pastor of that Baptist church clearly recognizes Roman Catholicism as a branch of the Christian faith and that he understands the importance of the former Roman Catholics in his congregation maintaining a good relationship with their Roman Catholic family members and friends. A good way to maintain that good relationship is for them to attend mass with their family members and friends on special occasions and to show a continued love and respect for the Roman Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When a Roman Catholic stops attending mass and begins attending a Baptist church it is very helpful if the pastor of that Baptist church clearly recognizes Roman Catholicism as a branch of the Christian faith and that he understands the importance of the former Roman Catholics in his congregation maintaining a good relationship with their Roman Catholic family members and friends. A good way to maintain that good relationship is for them to attend mass with their family members and friends on special occasions and to show a continued love and respect for the Roman Catholic Church.

I would hope a Baptist pastor would never recognizes the Roman Catholic church as just another branch of Christianity. They do indeed have a different gospel message. I won't even bring up the countless other doctrinal errors that they embrace. I know many former Catholics who are now Baptist and the last thing they would want to do is to have their friends and family feel comfortable in the Catholic church by going to mass with them. They would rather show them the true gospel message which is grace alone through faith alone apart from works. Official Catholic doctrine is that grace along is not sufficient.

Upvote 0

SteveR2021

Steve
Mar 6, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟16,123.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I would hope a Baptist pastor would never recognizes the Roman Catholic church as just another branch of Christianity. They do indeed have a different gospel message. I won't even bring up the countless other doctrinal errors that they embrace. I know many former Catholics who are now Baptist and the last thing they would want to do is to have their friends and family feel comfortable in the Catholic church by going to mass with them. They would rather show them the true gospel message which is grace alone through faith alone apart from works. Official Catholic doctrine is that grace along is not sufficient.

I agree. I would never encourage anyone to attend mass. Our differences are not just over minor doctrinal points - we differ fundamentally over some of the key doctrines of the faith. I do not see the Roman Catholic Church as a branch of Christianity, but rather a departure from the Christian faith.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,340.00
Faith
Baptist
I agree. I would never encourage anyone to attend mass. Our differences are not just over minor doctrinal points - we differ fundamentally over some of the key doctrines of the faith. I do not see the Roman Catholic Church as a branch of Christianity, but rather a departure from the Christian faith.

The teaching of the Roman Catholic Church today is much more in harmony with the teaching of the New Testament and the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers than are the teachings that distinguish Calvinism from mainstream Protestantism. And let none of us ever forget that it pleased God to use the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers to formalize the doctrine of the Trinity, and to establish the New Testament Canon based largely upon the purity of the doctrines taught in the writings that now comprise our New Testament. There are some doctrines taught today by the Roman Catholic Church that I find to be disturbing, but not nearly as disturbing as the doctrines that distinguish Calvinism from mainstream Protestantism. The departure from the historical teaching of the Church was not made by the Roman Catholics, but by the Calvinists. However, we are all Christians and we all need to love and respect each other even though some of us teach doctrines that are harmful and damaging to the body of Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.