Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What causes hurricanes
(not divine retribution)
:angel:

A tropical cyclone is a storm system characterized by a large low pressure center and numerous thunderstorms that produce strong winds and flooding rain. Tropical cyclones feed on heat released when moist air rises, resulting in condensation of water vapor contained in the moist air. They are fueled by a different heat mechanism than other cyclonic windstorms such as nor'easters, European windstorms, and polar lows, leading to their classification as "warm core" storm systems.

"Hurricane" redirects here. For other uses, see Hurricane (disambiguation).

Cyclone Catarina, a rare South Atlantic tropical cyclone, viewed from the International Space Station in March 2004

Tropical cyclonesFormation and namingDevelopment - Structure
Naming - Seasonal lists - Full listEffectsEffects
Watches and warnings
Storm surge - Notable storms
Retired names (Atlantic - Eastern Pacific - Western Pacific)

Climatology and trackingBasins - RSMCs - TCWCs - Scales
Observation - Forecasting
Rainfall forecasting
Rainfall climatology Part of the Nature series: Weather

Reactions: Joachim
Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wiccan Child, the law of three-fold is pisific to wicca not paganism as a whole. I don't put much into it but I do belive in karma.
Well, I knew it was a Wiccan thing, but I just assumed it bled over into Paganism in general.

Afterlife? Well the summerlands sound awesome and that is my basic idea of what Heaven should be. I don't think many pagans have a hell idea. In my after-life scenerio you have one soul that developes and changes between each reincarnation until your soul is a pure soul or a learned soul and your soul wishes to stay forever in the summerlands.
It's a lovely thought, isn't it :).

This thread dear. lol.
:blush:

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you live in urban setting? If so, is it difficult to be a practicing pagan in such a noisy man-made environment? Is being pagan even a realistic path in an urban environment? Do you get away into the hills often yourself?
I've lived in a both rural countryside and urban cities, and they both have their charm. Though, from a Pagan point of view, rural areas are much more... satisfying? We have our own woods by where I live, which was great to spend time in.
My love of the country is probably why I was attracted to Wicca in the first place.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Absolutely. God is not the creation. He is the creator. I am obviously a Bible believer and not a pagan or Hindu.

So if a hurricane was soon to hit the area you live in it would make no sense to pray then, right? It's separate from God, God has nothing to do with it. The creation will be as it will be, nothing to do with God anymore.

Now that I think of it a lot of prayers are pretty pointless, aren't they. They all seem to have to do with creation rather than the creator. Hmmmm.

Upvote 0

adimus

Thoroughly enjoying being a lost soul
Mar 15, 2009
USA
✟15,576.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So if a hurricane was soon to hit the area you live in it would make no sense to pray then, right? It's separate from God, God has nothing to do with it. The creation will be as it will be, nothing to do with God anymore.

Now that I think of it a lot of prayers are pretty pointless, aren't they. They all seem to have to do with creation rather than the creator. Hmmmm.

The Bible has numerous instances where people prayed and God relented what he was doing or was about the do. God is a person. He does respond to prayer. I would be praying. I would not know why God either send or just allowed the hurricane to come. But I would pray for protection and that God would really use the event for his redemptive purposes, no matter what happens.

Nature is the creation. God is the creator. God did not create himself. He is not the creation. :preach:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's more that Paganism doesn't have to. If you want to know why hurricanes form, speak to a meteorologist :p.
WC, I'm asking a fair question here.

I want to know, from a Pagan's POV, where Hurricane Katrina came from.

"Gaea" seems to be strangely absent from the explanations, for some reason.

I suspect Pagans pick and choose what they want to believe.

Just like the Taoists --- you can't get them to give you a straight answer, either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I'm curious about this question. Is this essentially the same question as where todays sunny skys and light breezes come from? Or where asteroid strikes come from? Or where the wasps in the eaves of my house come from?

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I posted a link describing how hurricanes were formed.

Gaia is not a universal Pagan/NeoPagan concept.

I would say the same to anyone of any other religion as well.

Upvote 0

FantasyWitch

A closed mouth gathers no foot
Mar 11, 2009
Scotland
✟15,193.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Question for both FANTASYWITCH and WICCANCHILD:
Do you live in urban setting? If so, is it difficult to be a practicing pagan in such a noisy man-made environment? Is being pagan even a realistic path in an urban environment? Do you get away into the hills often yourself?

I live in central scotland, and to be honest its not that built up in my area.
I think paganism is just as important if not more so in a built up area because it encourages you to seee the beauty even in the urban surrounding. Learning to appreciate the way a cars lights reflect off the wet road or how it looks when leaves fall around your car are important parts of being pagan. There is nature in everything. Think about it, its human nature to make technology, so there must be some nature in technology shouldn't there?

Paganism cannot account for Hurricane Katrina?

Can Christianity? Science explains hurricanes, nature explains hurricanes. But I cant tell you what CAUSED it karma wise, which is what you are trying to ask.

ok so, why didn't you choose the other "half"? what makes paganism more real than catholicism for you?

Because I spent a lot of time with my Gran, who is a kitchen witch. And also because no one really influenced me, I made my own choice. I could have went muslim and no one in my family would have batted an eyelid. Paganism for me just makes much more sense than Christianity in general. Seems more logical.
God can't be a man, and women can't be the source of all sin. Adam and Eve could not have started the world or we would all have ten legs by this point of inbreeding and the idea of sin irritates me.
That ^ is basically why. I love some aspects of Christianity, but there are many aspects that still needed ironed out for it to stop [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]ing me off at alternate intervals.

Is soemone who was a pagan but is no longer sure about it a paganostic?

Sorry Avatar, I don't understand at all. I think its the way you've worded the question.

Nature is seperate from God?

Of course not. See above ^

Just like the Taoists --- you can't get them to give you a straight answer, either.

We don't pick and choose anything. You seem to be trying for a fight, but you won't get one out of me. I find fighting about religion stupid so I don't involve myself in it.
In my opinion (not a pagan point of view) Hurricane Katrina came from a very [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]ed off karma god, who had had enough of America's attitude problem. That's what i thought at the time.
But as WC said, Christianity doesn't have to explain it and nither should paganism.

Thank you "awitch" you answered his question much better than my mini rant up there :p

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've lived in a both rural countryside and urban cities, and they both have their charm. Though, from a Pagan point of view, rural areas are much more... satisfying? We have our own woods by where I live, which was great to spend time in.
My love of the country is probably why I was attracted to Wicca in the first place.

I live in central scotland, and to be honest its not that built up in my area.
I think paganism is just as important if not more so in a built up area because it encourages you to seee the beauty even in the urban surrounding. Learning to appreciate the way a cars lights reflect off the wet road or how it looks when leaves fall around your car are important parts of being pagan. There is nature in everything. Think about it, its human nature to make technology, so there must be some nature in technology shouldn't there?:p
I see the man made environment pulling in two directions at once: life, and death.
I love the life of a town square full of cafes and streetlife. But we also create environments that by their nature discourage human activity and interaction.... like downtown Denver, all parking lots and skyscrapers, and human dead-zones.
Im not talking about an inevitable life/death cycle. Im talking about designing lifeless environments from the start. I suppose a pagan outlook would make one even more sensitive to urban success and failure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
And I'm giving you a fair answer: the origin of hurricanes is a meteorological question. Paganism doesn't claim to explain where hurricanes come from, so why ask

The same place all hurricanes come from: there are several different atmospheric phenomena which result in some form of cyclone, of which Hurricane Katrina was one such example. Read more here.

The reason I referred you to meteorology is because that is the first place any Pagan would go to explain where hurricanes come from. There is no Pagan belief that implies that hurricanes come from anywhere but atmospheric turbulence.

Not all Pagans subscribe to a belief in Gaia.

Freedom of belief is a fundamental human right. If Pagans pick and choose, they are only exercising that right.

Because the question doesn't make sense. If you want to know where Hurricane Katrina came from, talk to a meteorologist: it's their speciality. Most Pagans don't know the first thing about cyclones, myself included.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm curious about this question. Is this essentially the same question as where todays sunny skys and light breezes come from? Or where asteroid strikes come from? Or where the wasps in the eaves of my house come from?
I think he's trying to get us to say something about the deification of nature implying that all natural phenomena are instance of divine intervention (i.e., the Earth is a deity in and of itself, so Hurricane Katrina was a concious, intentional act).

Which is, of course, rubbish.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
But as WC said, Christianity doesn't have to explain it and nither should paganism.

Some Christians have tried to explain it:

Evangelical Paston John Hagee suggested Katrina was caused by sin - namely homosexuals who were to have a parade the day the hurricane hit. He rescinded the comment later. Fred Phelps also blamed homosexuals, but we'll ignore him because he's Fred Phelps.

Austrian Rev Gerhard Wagner also blamed divine retribution for Katrina, suggesting an increase in natural disasters to "spiritual pollution". Pope Benedict later promoted him.

RepentAmerica.com blames Katrina on Mardi Gras - which is funny because the French Quarter where it is usually held had the least damage and what about the other states that were hit?

Pat Robertson also made a comment about the people of Dover, PA not crying to god if disaster strikes after they voted the "intelligent design" supporters off the school board. He also retracted the statement.

Anti abortionist Steve Lefemine blamed Katrina on abortion clinics (because he saw the image of a fetus in the satelite maps - I'm not making that up).

When it doubt, blame the liberals, evolutionists, democrats, and homosexuals.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
RepentAmerica.com blames Katrina on Mardi Gras - which is funny because the French Quarter where it is usually held had the least damage and what about the other states that were hit?
:angel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras

The terms "Mardi Gras" (mär`dē grä) and "Mardi Gras season",[1][2][3][4][5][6] in English, refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, ending on the day before Ash Wednesday. From the French term "Mardi Gras" (literally "Fat Tuesday"), the term has come to mean the whole period of activity related to those events, beyond just the single day, often called Mardi Gras Day or Fat Tuesday.[1][2][3][4][5][6] The season can be designated by the year, as in "Mardi Gras 2008".[6]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.