Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, for years I was a total hawk. But after a tour of my own in Iraq, and my husband's several in Afghanistan, and the blatant double standards of who's massacres we're gunna go involve ourselves in, and who's we aren't...I have to tell you, I am leaning more towards continued diplomatic pressure, rather than military intervention.

Oh and I forgot to mention, thank you for your service.

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I understand your point. I just do not see it likely that we will avoid getting involved if this does happen. I love the idea of letting other countries deal with their own problems but have some trouble with the idea that we could sit back while some dictator like figure does this to their own people. Your point on who massacres who is certainly relevant and respectable, however.
If I just understood how we decided which dictators we were going to crush for the good of the world, and which we're going to prop up, or how they decide when to move any given dictator from column A to B, and vice versa, I might be more open to interfering in other nation state's internal affairs.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ya know what really bothers me about this whole thing? That the US only draws a line in the sand regarding how a leader kills his people. Want to use guns, bombs, artillery? no problem. Start to use WMD's? Now we take issue.

Why does the means of murdering your citizens change the US stance on their level of involvement?

Fairly simple: the US can win most any confrontation involving standard weaponry and such but WMD's level the playing field. They have them and we have them. We just don't want others to use them because we have no superiority once they are employed.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,433,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I just understood how we decided which dictators we were going to crush for the good of the world, and which we're going to prop up, or how they decide when to move any given dictator from column A to B, and vice versa, I might be more open to interfering in other nation state's internal affairs.

I still haven't figured that out.....ran into that issue straight up while serving in Central America (1980's). I suspect it boils down to our economic and security interests.

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I still haven't figured that out.....ran into that issue straight up while serving in Central America (1980's). I suspect it boils down to our economic and security interests.
I suspect so. If only they were honest about it, rather than trying to pass it all off as "spreading democracy and freedom" or whatever the spin is this time. Where was the US when the Rwanda genocide was occuring? Or the troubles in the Sudan? Or, heck, nothing anyone we've regime changed lately has been half as bad as China, but meh, if China wants to use their dissidents as tank track lube and sell Fallun Gong members' organs for transplant on the open market, we'll just smile and look the other way.

Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering why Assad has not been arrested long ago??? His reign of terror has been going on a long, long time. He apparently is so stupid or mad that he doesn't understand that it will not end well for him. Let his terroist cronies take him.

Praying for a solution.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
As much as I agree with you...should we really sit back and let this just happen?

These are not people we should be fighting for.

Syrian Rebel Founding "Robin Hood Brigade" Vows to Conquer Israel, Iran, and Europe

Syrian rebel films himself shooting 10 prisoners | Reuters

Fides Service - ASIA/SYRIA - The historic Evangelical Church of Aleppo destroyed with explosives

Armenian church reportedly burned down in Aleppo - News | ArmeniaNow.com

Greek Orthodox priest abducted in Syria is found dead - latimes.com

Syria: car bomb kills 10 in Christian quarter of Damascus - Telegraph

Christians in Syria are actually supporting Assad because he has no plans to exterminate them. Pray for our brothers and sisters and all the innocents caught in the middle, but I strongly urge all of you to reject the notion of going in and helping these guys.

Upvote 0

HiLo

Nov 9, 2012
✟1,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...from what I have read, Assad would load the CW's on military aircraft to deploy them. I expect we could at least neutralize the Syrian air fields though their air defenses are much more capable than what Libya had...

Still, the CW's themselves would potentially need to be secured and that can only occur with teams on the ground.

That's true and we do have to prepare for such a reality but I am reminded that Obama is not Bush. He's a level headed thinker and a good commander in chief. I believe they will come with a strategy that includes many nations getting some skin in the game and in a way that doesn't have us fighting a civil war for their country.

That's their war but there is nothing wrong in my view, with making sure CW aren't part of that war. That's too much. Our capabilities could destroy most of Syria's military planes, tanks, etc. from a desert in Arizona. Securing those materials is a challenge and I have no expertise to offer a strategy on how to accomplish that, without getting bogged down in an insurgency war.

Upvote 0

HiLo

Nov 9, 2012
✟1,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Syrian Rebel Founding "Robin Hood Brigade" Vows to Conquer Israel, Iran, and Europe

Syrian rebel films himself shooting 10 prisoners | Reuters

Fides Service - ASIA/SYRIA - The historic Evangelical Church of Aleppo destroyed with explosives

Armenian church reportedly burned down in Aleppo - News | ArmeniaNow.com

Greek Orthodox priest abducted in Syria is found dead - latimes.com

Syria: car bomb kills 10 in Christian quarter of Damascus - Telegraph

Christians in Syria are actually supporting Assad because he has no plans to exterminate them. Pray for our brothers and sisters and all the innocents caught in the middle, but I strongly urge all of you to reject the notion of going in and helping these guys.

It's about helping innocent people. Men, women and children. Their lives may not mean much to you but they do to me and they certainly do to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Why couldn't a multi-nation, protective mass exodus start taking place? Is this too massive of an undertaking? I know, if I were a resident in Syria and I knew about a potential chemical weapons gassing about to take place I would be taking steps to go some place. Let others sit on their behinds, but I would be doing what I could do personally for my family to leave. Why couldn't other Arab countries that borders Syria start accepting refugees?

This is solvable!

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It's about helping innocent people. Men, women and children. Their lives may not mean much to you but they do to me and they certainly do to God.

And when you stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ, you can explain why you helped persecute and murder fellow believers through helping the rebels.

I do not want innocent people killed. I do not, however, see how overthrowing a dictator just to allow a group that's even worse to take his place is helping innocent people.

Upvote 0

HiLo

Nov 9, 2012
✟1,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And when you stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ, you can explain why you helped persecute and murder fellow believers through helping the rebels.

I am a follower of Christ. My sins were forgiven before I was even born.

I do not want innocent people killed. I do not, however, see how overthrowing a dictator just to allow a group that's even worse to take his place is helping innocent people.

Yes, I'm sure you don't.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I am a follower of Christ. My sins were forgiven before I was even born.

We still have to account for our actions as servants. That does not mean we will face hellfire.

Romans 14 said:
11 for it is written,
“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confess to God.”

12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Matthew 12 said:
35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

And, of course, the parable of the ten minas.

Yes, I'm sure you don't.

I don't. On what grounds do you justify accusing me of such evil?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,433,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To date we have not (though some neocon chicken hawks have been critical of that stance)

Washington laid out a very clear red line...use of CW's against the civilian populate will result in intervention.

We really have no choice should Assad choose to ignore the warning.

Upvote 0

HiLo

Nov 9, 2012
✟1,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We still have to account for our actions as servants. That does not mean we will face hellfire.

Followers of Christ will have their works, in love, rewarded or cast away. Not their sins judged. Our sins are forgiven. It is the love, compassion, mercy and kindness that we give to others from the heart, via the Spirit which is love. Many have only found religion but they have found God. They follow rules, while followers of Christ follow the heart, through the Spirit that leads to the great works of God, by default.

11 for it is written,
“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confess to God.”

12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Originally Posted by Matthew 12
35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

And, of course, the parable of the ten minas.

Only further emphasizes what I just said.

I don't. On what grounds do you justify accusing me of such evil?

I didn't accuse you of anything but lack of understanding. Read the passage you posted if you're conflicted.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To date we have not (though some neocon chicken hawks have been critical of that stance)

Washington laid out a very clear red line...use of CW's against the civilian populate will result in intervention.

We really have no choice should Assad choose to ignore the warning.
yup, we've consented to the murder of civilians with conventional weapons but don't dare murder them with WMD's.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I just heard that the gas has been mixed for possible use on the Syrian people. We have military on the way and ships positioning off the coast of Syria.

They have 60 days to use it before it expires and has to be destroyed.

Just breaking.

We need lots of prayers for all people in danger.
Wait ... what?

There are no WMD in or around Iraq. That's what we've been told for years. Either this is another ploy to justify yet another war ... or there really were large quantities of WMD transported out of Iraq.

If the former is true then we need to stay clear. If the latter is true, then Bush has been vindicated and the press and Obama have a lot of "splaining to do".

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wait ... what?

There are no WMD in or around Iraq. That's what we've been told for years. Either this is another ploy to justify yet another war ... or there really were large quantities of WMD transported out of Iraq.

If the former is true then we need to stay clear. If the latter is true, then Bush has been vindicated and the press and Obama have a lot of "splaining to do".
NH, nothing to see here, just move on. Don't confuse them with facts or ask them where these now ebil WMD's came from.

Hey, obama won, so whatever you say don't matter. He got a the mandate.

:doh:

Upvote 0