Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Of course they may just prove the Universe could ONLY have been CREATED. That would be a plus!

And if they do, all of us rationalists will accept that it was. That's how science works.

On the other hand, no amount of evidence will convince you that the Universe came about with no need for a creator. That's how religion works.

Why is this in E&M?

Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And if they do, all of us rationalists will accept that it was. That's how science works.

On the other hand, no amount of evidence will convince you that the Universe came about with no need for a creator. That's how religion works.

Why is this in E&M?

So tell me, I thought spontaneous generation was scientifically proven not to happen ----------- ever. So tell me how else does life originate from the inert?

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I have a theory that man will one day literally find God, that technology will continue to evolve until man literally finds God, concluding the end of the world in this reality, and starting a new reality. I'm unsure how that would happen, but since we have figured out how to see an atom, even split an atom, why would it be out of the place of probability?

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, this entire winter is prep time. They will do some collisions, but they will be of a size already done before, to adjust instrumentation and such, make sure everything is work, all that jazz. It won't be until after winter that they try the new stuff. This is based on the BBC article, anyone should be able to find it easy by going to BBC, at least for the next few days it should be near headlines.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
So tell me, I thought spontaneous generation was scientifically proven not to happen ----------- ever. So tell me how else does life originate from the inert?

You know, there's some things that I just don't think we should or need to know. I'd rather we just left the creation of the universe up for debate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You know, there's some things that I just don't think we should or need to know. I'd rather we just left the creation of the universe up for debate.

Then I'm glad you're not a scientists. But at least you're I'm assuming someone who just doesn't say "Godidit"

Upvote 0

jcook922

Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then I'm glad you're not a scientists. But at least you're I'm assuming someone who just doesn't say "Godidit"

Nah, I don't care if God created the universe, or if some other unexplained phenomena is responsible for our existence. I really don't care, there's way more important issues to me than wasting time debating the futile ones. Besides, no knowledge is worth the possibility of ending our race as we know it by destroying our world via miniature black hole.

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

What do you mean by "spontaneous generation"? If you mean fully formed multicellular lifeforms (such as mice) appearing from nonliving matter (which used to be what people believed), yes, that's been pretty much disproven. If you mean self-replicating molecules of any kind occurring in a non-self-replicating environment, then that's so wrong it's funny, given other experiments being currently reported.

I have a theory that man will one day literally find God, that technology will continue to evolve until man literally finds God, concluding the end of the world in this reality, and starting a new reality. I'm unsure how that would happen, but since we have figured out how to see an atom, even split an atom, why would it be out of the place of probability?

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.​

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

There are no "things that man should not know". All knowledge is potentially beneficial, but until we actually know it, we can't tell if it is beneficial - therefore all knowledge should be actively sought.

Reactions: TheOutsider
Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, we are still here. The Dooms Day machine must not be a powerful as GOD. Of course they may just prove the Universe could ONLY have been CREATED. That would be a plus!

Mankind can only prove that the universe was created.

Something from nothing (0 x 0 = ) is not discoverable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean by "spontaneous generation"? If you mean fully formed multicellular lifeforms (such as mice) appearing from nonliving matter (which used to be what people believed), yes, that's been pretty much disproven. If you mean self-replicating molecules of any kind occurring in a non-self-replicating environment, then that's so wrong it's funny, given other experiments being currently reported.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

There are no "things that man should not know". All knowledge is potentially beneficial, but until we actually know it, we can't tell if it is beneficial - therefore all knowledge should be actively sought.

Spontaneous generation would be something springing into life from inert matter. Scientists have never been able to create life from, sand, rocks or minerals; therefore, life cannot be expect to be a "natural" process devoid of Creative genius far above the abilities of mortal men.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Spontaneous generation would be something springing into life from inert matter. Scientists have never been able to create life from, sand, rocks or minerals; therefore, life cannot be expect to be a "natural" process devoid of Creative genius far above the abilities of mortal men.

"Scientists" (what a nebulous term) have not had hundreds of millions of years to observe the conditions in which life might spontaneously arise.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

We're getting there... Brains, nerves, adaptive intelligence via learning. We're doing it with computers, how much longer until we can do it biologically?

The way I see it, we'll be able to establish extremely smart AI relatively soon, and from there it will advance into using what we know of electronics to grow biological beings with electronic enhancements. It's getting there, give it time.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Scientists" (what a nebulous term) have not had hundreds of millions of years to observe the conditions in which life might spontaneously arise.

They (scientists) certainly have plenty of imagination and lots of extreme environments (plus everything in between) available. If they cannot produce life nor can they see it happen, then it cannot be assumed to have happened at all...

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We're getting there... Brains, nerves, adaptive intelligence via learning. We're doing it with computers, how much longer until we can do it biologically?

The way I see it, we'll be able to establish extremely smart AI relatively soon, and from there it will advance into using what we know of electronics to grow biological beings with electronic enhancements. It's getting there, give it time.

Time as alawys is the evolutionist's excuse. They apply it at least as often as Christian's pronounce GOD.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.