Not open for further replies.

PsychMJC

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,794.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We're getting there... Brains, nerves, adaptive intelligence via learning. We're doing it with computers, how much longer until we can do it biologically?

The way I see it, we'll be able to establish extremely smart AI relatively soon, and from there it will advance into using what we know of electronics to grow biological beings with electronic enhancements. It's getting there, give it time.

Just thought I would add that I thought this was an excellent response. I was a bit let down by the lame response LN has..

And if you ever run into someone named John Conners, you should probably hang close to em :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Time as alawys is the evolutionist's excuse. They apply it at least as often as Christian's pronounce GOD.

So you admit that Christians use god as an excuse to justify things that they can't prove? I'm so happy we broke some ground.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
They (scientists) certainly have plenty of imagination and lots of extreme environments (plus everything in between) available. If they cannot produce life nor can they see it happen, then it cannot be assumed to have happened at all...

The whole point of the spontaneous arising of life is that it's very, very unlikely to happen within an hour or a year or even a hundred years, but in geological time it is not such a crazy prospect. Given all the evidence for the ancientness of the world, and the fact that life is here at all, it doesn't seem so silly to think that maybe that very improbable event occurred.

There's nothing magical or spooky about life. It's just a certain kind of chemistry. The very second a self-replicating molecule arises through random chemical reactions, you've got the origins of life right there. It's so amazing to think about. :)

Upvote 0

TheOutsider

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
✟18,928.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that there will probably be no proof either way no matter what the test results are.

If science finds something unexplainable they will make an attempt to explain it and hope to hear about it more, later.

If there was proof of God it would probably hurt Christianity as we are a religion that is dependent on faith and notes that no signs will be given to us to validate our faith.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
If there was proof of God it would probably hurt Christianity as we are a religion that is dependent on faith and notes that no signs will be given to us to validate our faith.
There´s always the chance that Biblegod changes the covenant along with changing conditions.

Upvote 0

GrayCat

I exist
Oct 23, 2007
Massachusetts
✟16,383.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So tell me, I thought spontaneous generation was scientifically proven not to happen ----------- ever. So tell me how else does life originate from the inert?

Several theories on how life originated.

Primordial soup. Underwater vents. RNA world. Metabolism first.

What the theories propose doesn't sound that complicated on a molecular level, but it is amazing to think about, about when the first molecule became a living organism.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Mankind can only prove that the universe was created.

Something from nothing (0 x 0 = ) is not discoverable.

Considering nothing discovered about the universe shows that it was created, and keeps pointing to it forming free of intelligent construction, no mankind is stuck "only" proving the universe was created.

Yay conservation of mass/energy also.

Several theories on how life originated.

Primordial soup. Underwater vents. RNA world. Metabolism first.

What the theories propose doesn't sound that complicated on a molecular level, but it is amazing to think about, about when the first molecule became a living organism.

While I'm not saying what you posted is incorrect, those would be parts of earlier events involving the formation of the planets of our solar system, ours in particular and how it's formation helped form life.

I think that there will probably be no proof either way no matter what the test results are.

If science finds something unexplainable they will make an attempt to explain it and hope to hear about it more, later.

If there was proof of God it would probably hurt Christianity as we are a religion that is dependent on faith and notes that no signs will be given to us to validate our faith

Beyond there not being a God hypothesis on the table(let alone specifically the Christian God) I wouldn't hold my breathe. There is a vast gulf between those assertions.

The whole point of the spontaneous arising of life is that it's very, very unlikely to happen within an hour or a year or even a hundred years, but in geological time it is not such a crazy prospect. Given all the evidence for the ancientness of the world, and the fact that life is here at all, it doesn't seem so silly to think that maybe that very improbable event occurred.

There's nothing magical or spooky about life. It's just a certain kind of chemistry. The very second a self-replicating molecule arises through random chemical reactions, you've got the origins of life right there. It's so amazing to think about. :)

I found an amusing piece of literature that discusses arithmeticians and others pointing out how funny it is when a supernaturalists says it's too statistically improbable for a planet to form that can sustain life because in math terminology, the chances of a particular person having a particular life experience and genetic make up talking to another particular person with specific life experiences and genetic make up with the exact words they used for the conversation is comparable improbably. But Christians and others don't get mystified when they talk to their friends.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nah, I don't care if God created the universe, or if some other unexplained phenomena is responsible for our existence. I really don't care, there's way more important issues to me than wasting time debating the futile ones. Besides, no knowledge is worth the possibility of ending our race as we know it by destroying our world via miniature black hole.

Yes I agree that creating a black hole from that thing would in fact suck royally.However, I'm still glad because if we all had that sort don't care, don't want to know the facts attitude, we'd still be in the Dark Ages. Though don't take me wrong, I'm not talking bad about you in that regard.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Time as alawys is the evolutionist's excuse. They apply it at least as often as Christian's pronounce GOD.

Actually, time is the universe's excuse. If you want to whine and complain to the universe that it takes too long to work on your human timescale, which is less than an eyeblink in the span of time of our current universe, then go ahead. Just don't be surprised if people point and laugh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Spontaneous generation would be something springing into life from inert matter. Scientists have never been able to create life from, sand, rocks or minerals; therefore, life cannot be expect to be a "natural" process devoid of Creative genius far above the abilities of mortal men.

Scientists have never been able to create a quark/gluon plasma either. Does this mean that the stage of the universe when scientists claim it was composed of such a plasma was, in fact, a stage governed by a magic being? When they make the plasma next year, will that retroactively change history so the magic man's wand waving was a little earlier?

Just because we haven't done it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scientists have never been able to create a quark/gluon plasma either. Does this mean that the stage of the universe when scientists claim it was composed of such a plasma was, in fact, a stage governed by a magic being? When they make the plasma next year, will that retroactively change history so the magic man's wand waving was a little earlier?

Just because we haven't done it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

Simply goes to show that one should never believe everything he is told, even when that person is called a scientist. I don't believe in magic. I do fully believe in miracles. PS> Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Upvote 0

Veyrlian

Jan 28, 2008
✟15,543.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I found an amusing piece of literature that discusses arithmeticians and others pointing out how funny it is when a supernaturalists says it's too statistically improbable for a planet to form that can sustain life because in math terminology, the chances of a particular person having a particular life experience and genetic make up talking to another particular person with specific life experiences and genetic make up with the exact words they used for the conversation is comparable improbably. But Christians and others don't get mystified when they talk to their friends.

Sounds amazingly improbable! Do you by any chance remember the name of this piece or the authors? Just in case I might want to use this example myself.. :yum:

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I have a theory that man will one day literally find God, that technology will continue to evolve until man literally finds God, concluding the end of the world in this reality, and starting a new reality. I'm unsure how that would happen, but since we have figured out how to see an atom, even split an atom, why would it be out of the place of probability?
Jinkies! I found this article the day after I posted, not knowing a lot about the project:

The experimenters will also try to locate and identify a subatomic particle Higgs has theorized was the essential agent in the emergence of what we think of as matter today. The BBC reports: "Nestling in the foothills of the Alps is Europe's largest laboratory,...CERN. With its vast labyrinth of tunnels and equipment stretching for miles, the complex has the feel of a cathedral to science." There, scientists "have embarked on their biggest experiment ever, the hunt for a particle [that] gave the universe its form. Its scientific name is the Higgs boson, but because it is so fundamental in shaping the universe, others have called it the 'God particle.' It is a particle that is supposed to endow other fundamental particles with mass. Without it, there would be no gravity, no universe as we know it....No one has seen it, but physicists have invoked it because it is the simplest explanation for how the universe evolved."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=15&entry_id=30262

What a coinkydink.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.