Supreme Court sides with high school coach who prayed on 50-yard line

Who attacked the 1st Amendment?

• Republicans

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Democrats

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Who cares? ...you and your precious rights.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟934,997.00
Faith
Atheist
In the day of Jesus, people accepted religion and honored those who were leaders in the faith. They were looked up to and were like celebrities today.
Today in the USA is a very different story. People praying in public are more likely to be cursed at, mocked, and persecuted. Christians are to be salt and light. We are not to hide because people do not like us or even hate us. Christians and people of faith season the nation and culture and keep the standards high. Today they are ridiculed and have been intimidated into hiding and being silent. Some are refusing to be silenced. Some are not ashamed or intimidated. Ultimately they will profess Christ as He commanded us, and those that hate us (all the while professing "tolerance") will show their true colors.
Matthew 6:5-6

Jesus did not propose exceptions

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not true. It was recommended by the head coach not to rehire him, which is pretty much a job killer. Then the lawsuit was filed. The job postings for the next season don't open for a while after the season, possibly not until the spring for fall sports. He can't apply if there is no posted job. He cannot be reinstated until he re-applies, though.
This originally happened in 2015. He (has) had plenty of opportunity to re-apply for the next season, but chose not to. And while the head coach's recommendation not to re-hire him would likely have been detrimental to his job prospects, it was ultimately irrelevant because he failed to re-apply.

As for being reinstated, the district says they provided him with the paperwork for that over a month ago, but he has thus far failed to return it or answer their calls.

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I t think that is more in the eyes of the beholder. You can make a spectacle out of anything you have stronger feelings about. It says more about the seer, I think than the doer.

Well, here's two examples. See which you think is the spectacle:

A guy with a strong belief prays silently on the half way line giving thanks for the opportunities he's been given.to.coach, thanks for the fact that all his players came through the game uninjured and asks for guidance for how he should treat defeat as easily as victory.

The other guy rings local tv stations, radio stations and newspaper outlets telling them all that he is going to disobey a direct request by his employers that he not lead a prayer session and then does it in front of reporters and umpteen cameras with scores of people flooding onto the pitch to join in. It's so newsworthy that a random forum for Christians has been discussing it for 14+ pages.

Hmmm. Let me think.

• Winner
Reactions: ximmix
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
LOL. This is fresh coming from an atheist. Is what Jesus says about judging others good enough for you, too? Or are you just selective in your agreement with him when it suits you?

I'm selective regarding all the quotes use. But I quite often will quote what Jesus is meant to have said about how we should live our lives because I find what He said makes a lot of sense. He and I seem to agree on a lot of things. Praying privately being one of them.

You may find a lot of Jewish and Muslim people feel the same way too. I'm not sure why you think that atheists would be the exception.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This originally happened in 2015. He (has) had plenty of opportunity to re-apply for the next season, but chose not to. And while the head coach's recommendation not to re-hire him would likely have been detrimental to his job prospects, it was ultimately irrelevant because he failed to re-apply.

As for being reinstated, the district says they provided him with the paperwork for that over a month ago, but he has thus far failed to return it or answer their calls.
Technically, you may be correct about the re-applying, but he felt his 1A rights were being violated and the lower courts ruled against him. He had no reason to believe he would be rehired. Now that the SC has ruled in his favor, he can reapply. His reasons for not doing so are his own and have not been publicly made known.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm selective regarding all the quotes use. But I quite often will quote what Jesus is meant to have said about how we should live our lives because I find what He said makes a lot of sense. He and I seem to agree on a lot of things. Praying privately being one of them.

You may find a lot of Jewish and Muslim people feel the same way too. I'm not sure why you think that atheists would be the exception.
Then perhaps you should consider this passage from Acts 5:17-21:
17 Then the high priest and all his associates, who were members of the party of the Sadducees, were filled with jealousy. 18 They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail. 19 But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. 20 “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.” 21 At daybreak they entered the temple courts, as they had been told, and began to teach the people.

Now this would be considered a "spectacle", right? Prayer is an expression of faith. The angel of the Lord ("Lord" being Jesus) ok'd the public preaching of the Gospel to bring people to faith. Jesus offered a small, not silent prayer before he died on the cross. So why would Jesus have a problem with public prayer as an expression of the faith he commanded the apostles then and believers now to publicly preach and teach?

One of the problems with being selective is that context is often overlooked.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
20 “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.”
He didn't tell them to pray so this is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Technically, you may be correct about the re-applying, but he felt his 1A rights were being violated and the lower courts ruled against him. He had no reason to believe he would be rehired.
Technically, and actually, I am correct. The sole reason why he was not rehired is that he did not reapply. If you don't give someone the option to reject you, you cannot be rejected. And I'll point out that the decision to file the lawsuit was his and his alone - he could have easily waited until after he had reapplied.

Now that the SC has ruled in his favor, he can reapply. His reasons for not doing so are his own and have not been publicly made known.
Actually, the SC mandated that he be reinstated to his former position. He does not have to reapply - he simply needs to fill out the proper employment paperwork (which has been provided) and he will have his old job back. Yes, his reasons are his own, but his lack of action does further call into question his statements that he wanted the job back.

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,361.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Then perhaps you should consider this passage from Acts 5:17-21:
17 Then the high priest and all his associates, who were members of the party of the Sadducees, were filled with jealousy. 18 They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail. 19 But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. 20 “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.” 21 At daybreak they entered the temple courts, as they had been told, and began to teach the people.

Now this would be considered a "spectacle", right? Prayer is an expression of faith. The angel of the Lord ("Lord" being Jesus) ok'd the public preaching of the Gospel to bring people to faith. Jesus offered a small, not silent prayer before he died on the cross. So why would Jesus have a problem with public prayer as an expression of the faith he commanded the apostles then and believers now to publicly preach and teach?

One of the problems with being selective is that context is often overlooked.

You think that that's the same? Then I see why you don't consider the coach's action a problem.

Upvote 0