Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Last week I saw a news report about a town in Oregon that has banned construction on Sundays. In one of the TV news pieces on it one of the promoters of the law said it was so that people could "rest on Sunday, like they are supposed to.

Today I saw a piece about a similar law in the works in a town in Tennessee.

If they can ban work on a particular day of the week what do you think will be next?

CovenantRay

Jun 6, 2005
Columbus, Ohio, USA
✟15,988.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Shalom:

There is nearly no business conducted on Sundays in The Netherlands, Belgium, and France. If your main power goes out, you must wait until Monday. There are a few "convenience" stores open on Sunday at unbelievably high prices. At least as of 15 years ago.

CovenantRay :prayer:

Upvote 0

Bon

Truth Seeker
Jul 26, 2004
✟17,259.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
CovenantRay said:
Shalom:

There is nearly no business conducted on Sundays in The Netherlands, Belgium, and France. If your main power goes out, you must wait until Monday. There are a few "convenience" stores open on Sunday at unbelievably high prices. At least as of 15 years ago.

CovenantRay :prayer:
And Spain...
When we were in Barcelona in 2000....I wanted to make a day of it. Shopping there on a Sunday.....(but everything was closed....The city was like a 'ghost town')

Bon

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
But supposedly in the USA we have freedom FROM religion. Isn't impossing a "day of rest" on a community imposing a religious belief on them?

I think there is a difference between custom and law. If it is the custom not to have shops open on Sunday then there isn't a penalty for violating that if you want to have yours open (although you might not get much business). If there is a law against having a shop open on Sunday then there will be a penalty associated with violating that law.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They still had the "Blue Law" (closed on Sundays) here in Texas right up until about 1984. Then they amended it to only be certain things you couldn't buy on Sunday... now it's gone completely.

Chick-fil-a (where my oldest daughter works) is still closed on Sundays all over the US. They're a Christian company and feel strongly about being closed on Sundays. Too bad it's based on man-made tradition instead of G-d's Word... :doh:

Upvote 0

Bruce101

Oct 16, 2004
Southern United States
✟16,159.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
jgonz said:
They still had the "Blue Law" (closed on Sundays) here in Texas right up until about 1984. Then they amended it to only be certain things you couldn't buy on Sunday... now it's gone completely.

Chick-fil-a (where my oldest daughter works) is still closed on Sundays all over the US. They're a Christian company and feel strongly about being closed on Sundays. Too bad it's based on man-made tradition instead of G-d's Word... :doh:

Even though we know that Sabbath is on a Saturday, I give Chic-Fil-A a high five for taking a stand.

Around here blue laws started going away about ten years ago.
Still can,t buy a beer on Sundays.

Bruce

Upvote 0

Mary_Magdalene

AKA..Godschosengirl
Feb 3, 2004
✟30,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
yes, Chick-Fil-A does a good thing with closing on Sundays. I do live near headquarters and without saying too much, I was asked to give my advice about what movie to show on Oct 31 (they have movie night in the parking lot of one of their larger locations). Last year it was "Spiderman" (a PG movie shown to younger kids).

I suggested showing a "BibleMan" movie but I doubt my advice will be taken because it is not the most popular thing to show...

Upvote 0