Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. In most other Christian denominations, there are a range of acceptable ways to interpret their confessional statements, with no single person being a final authority (except perhaps for Catholicism, but it's not the case in Protestantism or Orthodoxy)
Do most other Christian denominations have a doctrine on what the Bible says prophecy is, how it works - what are the implications of 2 Tim 3:16 and of 2 Peter 1:21-?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you consider the writings of EGW to be Scripture?
no.

Do you consider that each of the prophets in 1 Cor 14 "wrote scripture"??

I assume our answers here are the same.
Because at a minimum, even a completely impartial observer would be forced to conclude they exert a strong influence on SDA interpretation of Scripture.

And yet not one SDA here appeals to a statement from Ellen White to make their repeated sola-scripture case for doctrine after doctrine as we discuss various ones here on CF.

Your argument is less "What does the Bible say about this topic" and more about "what non-Bible sources agrees with you or disagrees with you".
Indeed within the Adventist church, the interpretation of Scripture seems to be much more homogenous
Eph 4 predicts that the gifts of the Spirit will contribute to unity and resistance to doctrinal error. What is your opinion of Eph 4?.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do most other Christian denominations have a doctrine on what the Bible says prophecy is, how it works - what are the implications of 2 Tim 3:16 and of 2 Peter 1:21-?

Why is that important?

You know what kind of organizations say they have secret knowledge that nobody else has? Cults and abusive religious systems.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why is that important?

You know what kind of organizations say they have secret knowledge that nobody else has? Cults and abusive religious systems.
No one is saying it is a secret. Prophecy is right in the scripture. All of the books of EGW is also free online avilable to anyone, nothing secret about that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No one is saying it is a secret. Prophecy is right in the scripture. All of the books of EGW is also free online avilable to anyone, nothing secret about that.

And yet it is claimed other denominations don't have adequate knowledge of what prophecy is.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is different than your original claim.

Not really. The knowledge I am speaking of need not be confined in such a manner. You could just claim we haven't been enlightened by the Holy Spirit, that we aren't real Christians, as I think that is what is being driven at.

Other churches certainly do have doctrines of prophecy, but they don't include their founders being unquestionable authorities.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you consider the writings of EGW to be Scripture?
no.

Do you consider that each of the prophets in 1 Cor 14 "wrote scripture"??

I assume our answers here are the same.
Because at a minimum, even a completely impartial observer would be forced to conclude they exert a strong influence on SDA interpretation of Scripture.

And yet not one SDA here appeals to a statement from Ellen White to make their repeated sola-scripture case for doctrine after doctrine as we discuss various ones here on CF.

Your argument is less "What does the Bible say about this topic" and more about "what non-Bible sources agrees with you or disagrees with you".
Indeed within the Adventist church, the interpretation of Scripture seems to be much more homogenous
Eph 4 predicts that the gifts of the Spirit will contribute to unity and resistance to doctrinal error. What is your opinion of Eph 4?.
Indeed. In most other Christian denominations, there are a range of acceptable ways to interpret their confessional statements, with no single person being a final authority (except perhaps for Catholicism, but it's not the case in Protestantism or Orthodoxy)
Why is that important?
Did you read the conversation above?
You know what kind of organizations say they have secret knowledge that nobody else has?
The NT Christian church for one
that's what the Non-Christian Jews said about the early Christians

Simple name-calling is not as effective once mankind passed the age of the dark ages. I guess a lot of us knew that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

So?

All I hear is a sect claiming they have the truth and nobody else has it. This is the same thing numerous other cults and sects preach. They do so to destroy the faith of others and induce them to join their religion. This is called proselytism. It is not about serious deliberation of truth, it's rhetoric and polemic.

• Agree
Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
And yet not one SDA here appeals to a statement from Ellen White to make their repeated sola-scripture case for doctrine after doctrine as we discuss various ones here on CF
Hm, no you are smarter than that. Or something.
You repeatedly argue that the law on earth is/was a shadow of the perfect immutable law in heaven. For this you quote ... not really a precise verse as such, but you quote verses that sound like it.

Let us examine then one passage about the law as a shadow (or something)
hebrews 10:1-2 "The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins”

So, reading this verse, I get it that there is not "a perfect law in heaven". Rather, the law is a shadow, by the fact that the sacrificial system in the law foreshadows the perfect sacrifice of Christ. It is Jesus Christ who is that reality.

Sorry for intervening. The notification system kept binging me on this thread, so ok here was a little response from me then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

And yet not one SDA here appeals to a statement from Ellen White to make their repeated sola-scripture case for doctrine after doctrine as we discuss various ones here on CF
Hm, no you are smarter than that.
Indeed. I think some people "Wish we would" only be arguing sola-Ellen-white because then their false accusations to that effect could at least have a leg to stand on.

And what is even "better" for the false accusers is that IF IT WERE true that our best case can only be made with quotes from Ellen White - then our established practice of NOT doing that should make it ever so easy to construct a truly objective and compelling response to our positions without having to constantly limit one's self to mere pejoratives, name-calling etc.

In other words our practice here should be a "wish come true" for those who imagine that we need Ellen White to make our case.
You repeatedly argue that the law on earth is/was a shadow of the perfect immutable law in heaven.
Err... um... "no".

We argue that some forms of the OT Law are shadows that point to the death of Christ - for instance animal sacrifice laws.

Other laws are moral laws that apply to all mankind - such as the TEN for example.

The same thing Dies Domini and the Catholic Catechism states on that one specific point. As well as almost all other major denominations on planet Earth.
For this you quote ... not really a precise verse as such, but you quote verses that sound like it.

Let us examine then one passage about the law as a shadow (or something)
hebrews 10:1-2 "The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins”
And if we continue quoting it - we find that it is speaking specifically of the Laws relating to animal sacrifices and offerings.

Heb 10:
3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,

“You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”

8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second. 10 By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

11 Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; 12 but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time onward until His enemies are made a footstool for His feet. 14 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified

So, reading this verse, I get it that there is not "a perfect law in heaven".
No it is saying that the Law of animal sacrifices and offerings is not what forgives sins. Animal blood never forgave human sins - it was always the blood of Christ alone - not a goat or a bull's blood.

"the gospel was preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8
Rather, the law is a shadow, by the fact that the sacrificial system in the law foreshadows the perfect sacrifice of Christ.
Only the animal sacrifices and offerings centered "law".

But moral law such as "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5, "Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18, "honor your father and mother" Ex 20:12 (Eph 6:2) are in the moral law of God written on the heart according to the OT Jer 31:31-34.

And this is what even the CCC, and Dies Domini and almost Bible scholars in almost all Christian denominations also affirm.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why is that important?
You know what kind of organizations say they have secret knowledge that nobody else has?

Simple name-calling is not as effective once mankind passed the age of the dark ages. I guess a lot of us knew that.
So it does not work any more today than it did for the Jews of Christ's day or the Jews of Paul's day .

And to be frank - it never worked all that well even in the dark ages.
All I hear is a sect claiming they have the truth

As did Israel after Sinai.
As did Paul,
As did John the baptizer.

All denominations claim to have the truth and everyone worth their salt will affirm that the denomination that they belong to is most closely aligned to Bible truth of all those that they have encountered.

Much-to-be expected.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is called proselytism.
hint: Protestant Reformation
As a Lutheran - perhaps you have heard of it.

Launch of the Christian Church in Jerusalem where all the Apostles were in fact Christian Jews - and they were evangelizing in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 -- again perhaps you have heard of it.

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
But moral law such as "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5, "Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18, "honor your father and mother" Ex 20:12 (Eph 6:2) are in the moral law of God written on the heart according to the OT Jer 31:31-34.
Hm? In your post, you now draw back from the idea of there being a perfect law in heaven, the idea with which the sda's have hammered me for the last 2 weeks.

Other than that, btw, your post reflects good Bible reading :)

Considering the moral law, yes we must keep it. But the point of contention is, that Jesus never repeats the command to keep the sabbath. It is the only command actually, which is not repeated in the new testament. And this is the test. The new lawgiver does not repeat this old commandment.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

What does that have to do with proselytism, or anything else? Unlike the SDA religion, Lutheranism doesn't hold up the Reformation as some apocalyptic event. But then, we don't preach a pathological hatred of Roman Catholicism, either.

So it does not work any more today than it did for the Jews of Christ's day or the Jews of Paul's day .

And to be frank - it never worked all that well even in the dark ages.

As did Israel after Sinai.
As did Paul,
As did John the baptizer.

All denominations claim to have the truth and everyone worth their salt will affirm that the denomination that they belong to is most closely aligned to Bible truth of all those that they have encountered.

Much-to-be expected.

The early Church never claimed to have special knowledge in that manner. The Gospel of John actually contradicts this notion, it says Christ is the light that enlightens all (John 1:9)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hm? In your post, you now draw back from the idea of there being a perfect law in heaven
no I don't - rather I point out that the moral law remains and the ceremonial law of sacrifices and offerings was merely a temporary shadow. ( as also does your own denomination point that out)

There is a difference.
, the idea with which the sda's have hammered me for the last 2 weeks.
What's that?
Other than that, btw, your post reflects good Bible reading
Thanks. IT is the word of God
Considering the moral law, yes we must keep it. But the point of contention is, that Jesus never repeats the command to keep the sabbath.
Jesus never repeats the command "do not take God's name in vain". A detail that "means nothing" in favor of deleting that commandment.

But when it comes to the Sabbath - Jesus said "the Sabbath was made for MANKIND" Mark 2:27

In Is 66:23 Jesus' Word (scripture) says that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What does that have to do with proselytism, or anything else? Unlike the SDA religion, Lutheranism doesn't hold up the Reformation as some apocalyptic event. But then, we don't preach a pathological hatred of Roman Catholicism, either.

The early Church never claimed to have special knowledge in that manner.
The NT church claimed to have direct Revelation from God. Are you familiar with the book of Revelation? Or 2Thess 2? or 2 Thess 1? Or Acts 1? or 2 Cor 12? or ....
The Gospel of John actually contradicts this notion, it says Christ is the light that enlightens all (John 1:9)
But the NT does not claim that ALL have the gift of Prophecy - read 1 Cor 12 regarding that point. In fact in 1 Cor 14"1-3 Paul says "I WISH That you all had the gift of prophecy"

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
( as also does your own denomination point that out)
Funny thing that sda's (seventh day adventists) are better versed in what the catholic church believes than I am. I stick to the Bible.

And I have probably said it before, but ... the catholic church is the church that provides the best fit to the Bible as I know it until now

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The NT church claimed to have direct Revelation from God. Are you familiar with the book of Revelation? Or 2Thess 2? or 2 Thess 1? Or Acts 1? or 2 Cor 12? or ....

But the NT does not claim that ALL have the gift of Prophecy - read 1 Cor 12 regarding that point. In fact in 1 Cor 14"1-3 Paul says "I WISH That you all had the gift of prophecy"

So? I see no reason to believe that Adventists have a special knowledge of prophecy. Ellen White's prophecies did not come true, and all the alleged exceptions, such as the "heavenly sanctuary" doctrine, are unverifiable.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is called proselytism.

What does that have to do with proselytism, or anything else?
"the protesting Catholics" actually proselytized existing Catholics to join their movement. Have you heard of it?
The NT Jewish Christians were proselytizing non-Christian Jews in Acts 2 - and Acts 17, and Acts 18:4 and ... -- to join them.
Unlike the SDA religion, Lutheranism doesn't hold up the Reformation as some apocalyptic event.
Out of curiosity - how is it you think SDA claim that the reformation was an apocalyptic event??

Do you mean that we claim that the Bible predicted the "falling away" in 2 Thess 2 in the case of false doctrines entering the church and then it would need to be "restored"? What is your meaning?

Upvote 0