Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm going through my summer clothes and I was thinking about how there are just some things I feel are inappropriate and draw "the wrong kind of attention" but I also like to feel fashionable.

Where do you draw the line with modesty?
How much skin is too much?
Guys, feel free to reply as well.

I don't look too much at men's fashion but I've noticed the large number of guys who have been parading around town shirtless the past couple of weeks.

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm going through my summer clothes and I was thinking about how there are just some things I feel are inappropriate and draw "the wrong kind of attention" but I also like to feel fashionable.

I don't look too much at men's fashion but I've noticed the large number of guys who have been parading around town shirtless the past couple of weeks.

The one thing I'll never understand about women is how they will wear stuff that has their boobs all hanging out, and if a guy as much as glances at it, they call him a perv and/or shoot him dirty looks. It's pretty comical to me. It's like, if you aren't in business, don't advertise.

So to answer your question: wear whatever you are comfortable with. But make sure you are comfortable with it. If you are showing things that you don't want anybody to look at, it's your responsibility to change it. And guys will look. Doesn't matter if you are on the beach or at church, the crowd doesn't make a difference, guys will take notice.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't wear too short shorts or too low tops. I don't show my mid section. Everything important is well covered. I love that longer shorts are now in style. I usually like wearing skirts or sundresses in the summer b/c it feels a lot cooler. I like that maxi dresses are in style. I don't feel bad showing my arms in sleeveless stuff, b/c it is A LOT cooler. and I keep it extremely modest.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

If it's see through, if it's so tight it leaves nothing to the imagination, if it's so short, you can't sit down without fear of someone looking up you, if it's so low that your 'sisters' are greeting everyone first, and if it's so high that your gut is being flashed, don't wear it! Leave it at home behind closed doors if you're married! Edith Head, a Hollywood fashion designer put it nicely; 'Your clothes should be tight enough to show that you are a woman but loose enough to show that you are a lady!' As the old saying goes, 'If you're not in business, don't advertise!' Blokes are going to have a far harder time focusing on the heart of you if you're flashing the shell of you!

My rule for blokes is the same. 'What's good for the goose is good for the gander', so if I can take care to cover myself up, I expect you to as well! Blokes who walk around with no shirts on are merely half dressed!

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for mentioning shirtless guys! I know a lot of men would like to pretend that women don't have eyes (or the ability to lust) but we do.

It's not really an issue of modesty with me, so much as insecurity due to my many years of being fat. But it is summer and guys are going to see that I have breasts. No, they won't see the actual things, but if they look at my shirt/blouse, they'll see that underneath I may have the ability to breast feed. I do my best to be covered*, but I'm not going to wear clothing that is excessively large so that guys don't get all worked up. If they have that big of a problem with lust, then that's an issue that they need to work on themselves.

*I don't wear sleeveless tops or shorts because of the former fat issue. I also don't wear tops or bottoms that seem tight, rather than fitted. And my pants/jeans are at a normal level and not so low that they get a plumber-like view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't wear too short shorts or too low tops. I don't show my mid section. Everything important is well covered. I love that longer shorts are now in style. I usually like wearing skirts or sundresses in the summer b/c it feels a lot cooler. I like that maxi dresses are in style. I don't feel bad showing my arms in sleeveless stuff, b/c it is A LOT cooler. and I keep it extremely modest.

Umm, yes to all of this. Mina and I are on the same wavelength lol

I LOVE dresses so summer is a perfect excuse to doll up in sun dresses and funky jewelry. To keep it modest I just pair my dresses (which are mostly V-neck) with a lightweight tank top.

I also love the combo of a simple cotton skirt and t-shirt.

If you go on OldNavy I bet I own over 75% of the dresses they offer ^_^

Reactions: Sapphyre
Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

Thank you for mentioning shirtless guys! I know a lot of men would like to pretend that women don't have eyes (or the ability to lust) but we do.

It's not really an issue of modesty with me, so much as insecurity due to my many years of being fat. But it is summer and guys are going to see that I have breasts. No, they won't see the actual things, but if they look at my shirt/blouse, they'll see that underneath I may have the ability to breast feed. I do my best to be covered, but I'm not going to wear clothing that is excessively large so that guys don't get all worked up. If they have that big of a problem with lust, then that's an issue that they need to work on themselves.

I don't know why blokes think that busty girls have more ability to feed babies than flat chested girls!? ^_^

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up with four brothers so seeing a guy shirtless isn't a big deal for me. Doesn't matter what they look like, I just don't see it as a modesty thing.

But I suppose if you are not immune to it that it could be an issue...

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hate seeing shirtless guys around. I've gone on long runs in 90 degree weather, and not once did I think, man this would be a lot easier if I could just take my shirt off! Guys do that to show off, and most of the guys that do this don't have the body to really show off in the first place, it's just nasty. Down here, most of the shirtless running guys are well over 50.

On the beach I totally understand, I walk around there with a shirt off too, because we want to get some sun. But again, if I wasn't comfortable with girls seeing me with a shirt off, I wouldn't take it off ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Two SIMPLE things to keep in mind:

1. What is your PURPOSE? If it is your INTENT to cause others to lust (is that possible? Can ANYONE force ANYONE to feel ANYTHING) - then your INTENT is wrong - regardless of what the result is.

2. Is it APPROPRIATE to the culture and situation? What's appropriate in 2011 on the North Shore of Ohau may not be in 1951 at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth at Westminister Abby in England. Think.

I grew up in a beach town in southern California. I was a bit of a "beach bum." For DAYS, I wore board shorts - and sandles. No shirt. This could go one for DAYS (um, different board shorts - I showered at least once a day, lol). It's what ALL GUYS wore around the beach and vincinity. Now, before I went into some store or whatever - I either LOOKED to see what people were wearing or LOOKED for a sign, and if nothing indicated that shirtless was okay - I didn't enter. It's called respect. It's called curtesy. Would I go to church dressed like that? Obviously not. I wore long pants, collared shirt - maybe even a tie.

Now, if some girl "lusted" at my bod, whether on the beach OR at church - that's HER problem, I did nothing with that intent and nothing inappropriate for the culture and situation.

I don't find it all that complicated. I don't know why a few girls do. I strongly suspect girls KNOW what's customary and what their INTENT is. Looking beautiful, looking attractive is GREAT - go for it! Being the "s" word, PURPOSELY trying to bring about lust - that's a different enchilada. And I think girls know that.

Just MY $0.01

- Josiah

Reactions: Amber.ly
Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

I grew up with four brothers so seeing a guy shirtless isn't a big deal for me. Doesn't matter what they look like, I just don't see it as a modesty thing.

Yeah, I grew up with 2 big bros and they had a thing with walking around shirtless and I didn't mind. Until they left home and I learned to be shy of such things all over again! LOL! I rather like that. My Pa and I were checking in on a job to be done and as we walked back to the truck he commented to me on the blokes' tats all over his chest. I'm like, 'What tats?' He wasn't wearing a shirt, so I'm not looking at him! I didn't even notice any tats!

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I have a brother (and around male cousins), but he didn't make me immune. If I see a guy who looks like he works out and isn't wearing a shirt, I'll admit that I may happen to glance at him a wee bit longer than I should. :sorry:

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

I hate seeing shirtless guys around. I've gone on long runs in 90 degree weather, and not once did I think, man this would be a lot easier if I could just take my shirt off! Guys do that to show off, and most of the guys that do this don't have the body to really show off in the first place, it's just nasty. Down here, most of the shirtless running guys are well over 50.

On the beach I totally understand, I walk around there with a shirt off too, because we want to get some sun. But again, if I wasn't comfortable with girls seeing me with a shirt off, I wouldn't take it off ever.

I had a lot of respect for an Israeli bloke my family and I took in. On his facebook, he's got sooo many pics of him shirtless but when he stayed with us, we girls didn't even have to ask him, he just wore a shirt at all times, even swimming!!!!

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a brother, but he didn't make me immune. If I see a guy who looks like he works out and isn't wearing a shirt, I'll admit that I may happen to glance at him a wee bit longer than I should. :sorry:

I guess we all have our Kryptonite ^_^

Mine is guys in baseball caps :swoon:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I guess we all have our Kryptonite ^_^

Mine is guys in baseball caps :swoon:

I think a lot of it is socialization. Women are seen more as objects of desire, so we are told to be careful to cover up. I mean, men are raised with sisters and that doesn't make them lust less.

Oh, and I like baseball caps, too. :D

Upvote 0

IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Honestly, modesty for me is situational. Like you wouldn't be caught dead at church in a bathing suit right, but it's appropriate at the beach. It also depends on who I'm around. If I'm just around family/my girls I have no problem in a bikini but at the public pool I'll wear a t-shirt or shorts over it.
I guess for me too much skin would be showing pubic hair (yes, I know, gross) or only covering up nipples. I find the human body to be beautiful so it doesn't really bother me to see most of it.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

Honestly, modesty for me is situational. Like you wouldn't be caught dead at church in a bathing suit right, but it's appropriate at the beach. It also depends on who I'm around. If I'm just around family/my girls I have no problem in a bikini but at the public pool I'll wear a t-shirt or shorts over it.
I guess for me too much skin would be showing pubic hair (yes, I know, gross) or only covering up nipples. I find the human body to be beautiful so it doesn't really bother me to see most of it.

I had a bloke suggest I join a group of women who drive bobcats and loaders and such in bikinis, I replied that I wouldn't even be caught dead in a bikini!!! Personally, modesty is never a situational issue. Dressing to the occasion is. I never wear a bikini or anything skimpy no matter where I am. Maybe it's also because I fail to see the human body as beautiful.

Upvote 0

IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Could be, but I draw nudes and work medical so yeah, not bothered at all by it, and in fact, I can find beauty in just about any shape.

One person's skimpy is another's solution to 113 degree weather. lol. I think like someone else said, if I'm not looking for that kind of attention, and give off a vibe of respectability it's not my issue, it's someone else's. Frankly no one ever bothers me so I think it's obvious who I am regardless of a bikini or turtleneck.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

Could be, but I draw nudes and work medical so yeah, not bothered at all by it, and in fact, I can find beauty in just about any shape.

One person's skimpy is another's solution to 113 degree weather. lol. I think like someone else said, if I'm not looking for that kind of attention, and give off a vibe of respectability it's not my issue, it's someone else's. Frankly no one ever bothers me so I think it's obvious who I am regardless of a bikini or turtleneck.

Egh. That does sound terrible, no offence intended! :D I can admire the human body as a machine but anything else is just beyond me!

And then you get girls like me who are harassed even if you're wearing baggy jeans and long baggy shirts in 35 degrees celcius! But in my own conscience, I know that there is no possible way that I was showing off anything attractive, therefore it is fair and squarely his own issue! I mean, some blokes are going to be real creeps even if you're dressed in a burkah.

Upvote 0