Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But it gets worse. They complain about the Chinese authenticity of the General Tso's chicken. It's an American-Chinese dish.

The food has been associated with the name of Zuo Zongtang (左宗棠, 1812–1885), a Qing Dynasty general from Hunan. Zuo himself could not have eaten the dish as it is today, and the dish is found neither in Changsha, the capital of Hunan, nor in Xiangyin, the home of General Tso. Moreover, descendants of General Tso still living in Xiangyin, when interviewed, say that they have never heard of such a dish. - wiki​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But it gets worse. They complain about the Chinese authenticity of the General Tso's chicken. It's an American-Chinese dish.

The food has been associated with the name of Zuo Zongtang (左宗棠, 1812–1885), a Qing Dynasty general from Hunan. Zuo himself could not have eaten the dish as it is today, and the dish is found neither in Changsha, the capital of Hunan, nor in Xiangyin, the home of General Tso. Moreover, descendants of General Tso still living in Xiangyin, when interviewed, say that they have never heard of such a dish. - wiki​

NPR mentioned this a while back too. Chinese food in America and other places not China doesn't tend to be authentic Chinese food.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
NPR mentioned this a while back too. Chinese food in America and other places not China doesn't tend to be authentic Chinese food.

True. The British invented Chicken Tikka Masala.

Upvote 0

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist
It seems ridiculous until you think about it. Imagine being told that you'll be served an "American hamburger" but what you get is actually a beef patty between two pieces of rye bread. Or say you were promised "fish and chips" but received mashed potatoes instead of french fries. I know I'd be disappointed. And if it happened more than once, perhaps even on a regular basis, I'd possibly end up getting annoyed.

There is a really simple solution to the problem, though. Just rename the dishes they're serving. Instead of calling it "banh mi", call it a "sandwich with coleslaw".

Meanwhile, it does appear that some of the students need to calm down and stop overreacting.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I think this bit from the article edges General Tso for idiocy:

Others were up in arms over banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches served with coleslaw instead of pickled vegetables, and on ciabatta bread, rather than the traditional French baguette.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think this bit from the article edges General Tso for idiocy:

Oh no! Not Ciabatta! That foul mix of carbohydrates would never be found in a True Vietnamese restaurant! It's not even worth the yeast it's made with! I spit on Ciabatta!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh no! Not Ciabatta! That foul mix of carbohydrates would never be found in a True Vietnamese restaurant! It's not even worth the yeast it's made with! I spit on Ciabatta!

Dude. Once you spit on it you have to eat it. That's the rule.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

But not worth getting worked up about. Now if the Vietnamese full picnic package had Coors light instead of Ba Muoi Ba Biere then there is cause for riots.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In all seriousness, ciabatta was not to be seen in my cafeteria in my undergrad. Ciabatta would have been reason to actually eat there. When I was in graduate school I could eat in the grad room which did not have peasant food. Before then, it was white bread and balogna.

But, I do have to ask, why is this story news, and why is Lena Dunham included in it, as she clearly does not attend the school any longer?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In all seriousness, ciabatta was not to be seen in my cafeteria in my undergrad. Ciabatta would have been reason to actually eat there. When I was in graduate school I could eat in the grad room which did not have peasant food. Before then, it was white bread and balogna.

But, I do have to ask, why is this story news, and why is Lena Dunham included in it, as she clearly does not attend the school any longer.

Because Obama

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0