There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
During the nacho craze of the 1980s, I ordered what was touted as Mexican Nachos, expecting some gooey, far-too-much-cheese platter of crunchy chips (maybe even sprinkled with bacon or peppers).

What I got was literally Doritos on a cookie sheet with half-slices of American cheese melted onto them.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Having been raised on science fiction like Robert Heinlein, a "future" in which food cultures result in "Chow Mein" pizza seem to me to be how it should be.

That's why I always wonder at how Star Trek TNG would have Star Fleet members with 20th century national accents. Sheesh, they marry aliens in Star Fleet. If anyone had abandoned regional earth accents by then, surely it would be anyone in Star Fleet (and let's not forget there had been a world nuclear war a few hundred years earlier).

You'd think so Gospodin, but it seems the rubes don't Grok Russian.

I do, but I'm part Davis clan.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
While we're all still here, can someone explain why this is considered "news"? Is it very important that we know this? Other than to mock it, I mean?

What difference does it make if the headline was "Students at Bradley Cooper's old high school think Toy Story is dumb."

Would that be news?

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oberlin apparently requires their students to live on campus, which is not that uncommon for private colleges. I'm stuck in the car and bored so I peeked at Oberlin's herd on Yik Yak out of curiosity to see if there were any posts about the article in the OP (there aren't) and saw this:
View attachment 167554

Meh. Students who Poe, Poe, Poe their boats aggressively up the stream make the "news" far more often than the other 97% of the student body on their campus.

I am glad, that we are not required to live at my university, or purchase any meal plans. I live in a flat, buy my own food. I do think it would be fun, to live in a dorm, yes. Not for all four years, or for that high of a cost.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While we're all still here, can someone explain why this is considered "news"? Is it very important that we know this? Other than to mock it, I mean?

What difference does it make if the headline was "Students at Bradley Cooper's old high school think Toy Story is dumb."

Would that be news?

Toy Story is all about people learning that where they are and who they are are less important than fellowship and looking to Him can take them to a "better place." The Deus ex machina at the end of TSIII might have actually been a machina, but it was still a Deus that was arrived at through the steadfast faith of the 3-eyed toys.

So there.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Toy Story is all about people learning that where they are and who they are are less important than fellowship and looking to Him can take them to a "better place." The Deus ex machina at the end of TSIII might have actually been a machina, but it was still a Deus that was arrived at through the steadfast faith of the 3-eyed toys.

So there.

Oh, Bradley Cooper is such a jerk!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Oberlin? This happened at Lena Dunham College. You're clearly thinking of the wrong school.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. Lena Dunham's alma mater is Oberlin, as clearly stated in the OP's link -- hence the headline "Students at Lena Dunham's college...", not "Lena Dunham College". To my knowledge, there is no Lena Dunham College.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. Lena Dunham's alma mater is Oberlin, as clearly stated in the OP's link -- hence the headline "Students at Lena Dunham's college...", not "Lena Dunham College". To my knowledge, there is no Lena Dunham College.

That's a relief. Are they still building Lena Dunham College then?

if anyone at HBO should get their own college it should probably be Sarah Jessica Parker or Bill Maher.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've long decades-since heard of Oberlin. I had never heard of Lena Dunham. I haven't Googled her, so I still don't know anything about Lena Dunham.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just out of curiosity, how old are the people who've never heard of Lena Dunham?

My 28-year-old daughter was vaguely aware of the name.

So who gets "ownership" of the University of Oklahoma? Ed Harris or Olivia Munn?

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One need not travel internationally to see food absurdity.

My first job out of grad school was working for a time sharing company and I ended up on a trip to Maryland because of a project for the Navy that was supported out of both Los Angeles and Bethesda. The marketing office took us out to lunch at a 'Mexican' restaurant. Of all the forms of Mexican food it came closest to Tex-Mex. But it was bland! Tasteless Tex-Mex! A double down on stupid as we traveled by jet, not wagon train, it wasn't like we were homesick and yearning for a touch of L.A. Fortunately the computers and the main offices were also in Bethesda and one of our party knew the crew in operations, the crazy people who kept the computers running, ran the backups and such (this was the dark ages when this was as much magic as science a lot of the time). They had taste, they took us to dinner at an all you can eat seafood place. Different prices for fish, shrimp, clams, crab and lobster. But it was all you could eat of what you selected and anything cheaper. Only thing that was not all you can was the beer, seems ABC took a dim view of all the beer you can drink.

I work with many Hispanics who love hot sauce. They had me convinced that Tabasco Sauce was a Mexican product. Until I read the label and realized it's from Louisiana. When I began pointing this out even they were shocked it was not a product of Mexico. Of course Mexico has their own brand hot sauce, I think Chullula is the most famous.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm in my mid-30s. I am aware (thanks to this thread) that she is some kind of actress. Before this thread, I hadn't heard of her. I don't believe I've ever seen anything she's been in, as I haven't had cable TV since about 2009. I assume she became famous only in the last few years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah she's just a horrible person. Worse than Hitler. I heard she's got these puppets and she ridicules Arabs, Mexicans, white Southerners, and the elderly. And sexist too, she doesn't have a single female dummy. Soon as I get my protest Dunham website up and running I'll provide a link so can we can stand up for, uh, something or other.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh, that Dunham. Heard of him. Did he do a sex change? Did he change his act?

Oh seriously!? You dare demand that I know what I'm protesting before I protest it?! Your type should be banned. Wooden lives matter! Out of my face, fascist! Viva La General Tso!

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My 28-year-old daughter was vaguely aware of the name.

So who gets "ownership" of the University of Oklahoma? Ed Harris or Olivia Munn?

Ed Harris! He's my friend's dad and is incredibly nice.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh seriously!? You dare demand that I know what I'm protesting before I protest it?! Your type should be banned. Wooden lives matter! Out of my face, fascist! Viva La General Tso!

Oh, what, a good, patriotic American colonel doesn't make good enough fried chicken for you? You have to go to a Chinese general?

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0