Student Was So Offended by How Her School Pushed ‘Christian Beliefs’ That She’s Suing Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveJesusAndLive

Aug 1, 2015
✟15,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's disingenuous. Now, sure, scientists argue over exactly what gravity is, how it works and what it's precise parameters are. That's not the same as suggesting scientists deny gravity as a universal principle. Similarly, while scientist may argue over the exact specifics of how evolution works, doesn't make it any less a well supported property of the real world.
Look, here you are assuming I am disingenuous when certainly I am not. Am I then able to assume many of your arguments are based on presumption? Yes actually I am. Scientists, especially physicists are often the first to acknowledge we know so very little about ourselves, this planet.. we've rarely and barely reached the furthest depths of the ocean.. most certainly I am not being disingenuous when I even state that many many physicists wind up searching for God.. and believing.. because science leads them there eventually, in many cases not all of course. http://www.strangenotions.com/how-contemporary-physics-points-to-god/

Have you seen the Hubble telescope images?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I imagine they are teaching evolution (theory) in that school. And I imagine one cannot opt out.

Why did you put theory in parentheses? Do you know what a theory is in science? Why should one be able to opt out of a science class? Should people be able to opt out of chemistry or physics?

I think that might be called discrimination in this context..

And I know you don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, well that is very outdated compared to DNA. Why not just study the DNA of the virus that causes the disease. That seems to be the most efficient and direct method.
As far as drug resistance of a virus goes, that takes a live virus. I think you are stretching it a bit here, don't you. Do we need to know how or where that virus originally came from in order to see how it mutates in order to save itself. Really? I think we are talking about two different things being taught here, don't you?

How it mutates to save itself?

You write as if evolution were a conscious process engaged in by the organism, twice foolish when one is talking about a virus.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And I have made no such claims.
However, if evolution [which leaves out the possibility of intelligent design] is taught in the public school system, then intelligent design should be taught as well. Neither one can be scientifically proven. I personally believe that this is reason enough that neither one should be taught in the K-12 public school system. Now I would agree that maybe a school could have an elective class for high school seniors that are interested in evolutionary theory.
You may not consider ones spiritual beliefs to be important in the developing child but the overwhelming percentage of the populous do, including many different faiths.
I don't want to push my beliefs on your child and I don't want yours pushed on my child. I think that is an equitable solution and fair compromise.

Evolution has a multitude of evidence that supports it. Intelligent design does not...in fact, it has no evidence to support it. To present them together as if they're somehow on equal footing is dishonest.

If there was a world religions class that studied the major faiths, and it wanted to include a lesson on "intelligent design" I would see no problem with that so long as it presented the mythological creation beliefs of the other major religions as well.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There have been people who have lied and constructed major hoaxes in order to defend evolution.

Oooooo, I smell PRATTs in the air. Please. Do go on. Because I'm aware of only one hoax that was promoted by evolution supporters and the story is much more complex than an Creationist realizes.

It would be morally and intellectually wrong for me to judge whether evolution has any truth to it or not because dishonest people lied to defend it.

I need to screen cap your comment. On Facebook I could probably use it daily.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
However, if evolution [which leaves out the possibility of intelligent design] is taught in the public school system
Which it doesn't. It explores a completely different realm than theology or philosophy. It does not answer questions of intention or purpose. You're free to think whatever you want about the behind-the-scenes of the process if you think that there's a philosophical gap there that needs to be filled. So there's no argument here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
in agreement but aww.. having raised a child.. I can tell you firsthand, like most Christian parents.. and probably even yourself.. the kids come home and laugh about the evolution science (theory). They are monkeys ha ha ha and I'm the queen of Sheba I know (theory). But on the other hand it tells me a lot about why so many people act like animals today and think it's just alright

You don't understand what a scientific theory is, do you?

Upvote 0

LoveJesusAndLive

Aug 1, 2015
✟15,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't understand what a scientific theory is, do you?
Are you insulting me or do you treat everyone like this? I mean if it's personal. shrug.. if it's not.. remember one finger pointing is three pointing back at yourself.. ;)

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Look, here you are assuming I am disingenuous when certainly I am not. Am I then able to assume many of your arguments are based on presumption? Yes actually I am. Scientists, especially physicists are often the first to acknowledge we know so very little about ourselves, this planet.. we've rarely and barely reached the furthest depths of the ocean.. most certainly I am not being disingenuous when I even state that many many physicists wind up searching for God.. and believing.. because science leads them there eventually, in many cases not all of course. http://www.strangenotions.com/how-contemporary-physics-points-to-god/

Have you seen the Hubble telescope images?
I didn't say you were being disingenuous, the argument that "scientists don't believe in gravity" is. I have no doubt you believe everything you're posting.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know, perhaps you need to think a bit more like a 13 year old.. personally, evolution is a useless argument and quest in my op.. evolution does not equate with environmental adaptation, that's a stretch and that's 'science' today. There's so much evidence of a catastrophic flood, there's so much evidence of life suddenly appearing in the fossil record.. maybe you just prefer to ignore it. Seek Jesus, you'll find Him before any real proof of evolution, I guarantee it.

Hold on to your hat.
Go to this subforum.
Post the part in bold.
Did I mention holding on to your hat?
http://www.christianforums.com/forums/creation-evolution.70/

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you insulting me or do you treat everyone like this? I mean if it's personal. shrug.. if it's not.. remember one finger pointing is three pointing back at yourself.. ;)
Well, when you make posts that seem to suggest you don't understand scientific theory, it's a fair comment. Identifying an area of ignorance or error in someone's world view is not an insult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Seek Jesus, you'll find Him before any real proof of evolution, I guarantee it.
Ah yes, the old "Anyone who doesn't agree with me just doesn't know as much as me / hasn't tried as hard as me" argument.

Upvote 0

LoveJesusAndLive

Aug 1, 2015
✟15,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say you were being disingenuous, the argument that "scientists don't believe in gravity" is. I have no doubt you believe everything you're posting.
Well I never said scientists don't believe in gravity. I said there are arguments against the theory of gravity. Therefore I am correct, you are presumptuous. You are incorrect I am not disingenuous. You are being rhetorical to avoid admitting error. And perhaps you are a tad illiterate or perhaps you simply didn't really read the post. You don't mind if I am brutally honest do you?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I'm sorry, but give me a break with the "insulting" garbage. I actually understand science and evolution. I was noting that while you confidently opine about the subject, you appear to have very little actual understanding. I've been on Christianforms for nearly 12 years and have seen plenty who show up thinking they know it all on their first day of membership when a particular claim or issue had been discussed extensively during the first Bush 43 administration.

Upvote 0

LoveJesusAndLive

Aug 1, 2015
✟15,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know one thing for sure.. evolution IS a theory, it is not hard and fact proven science. As a result the arguments for it are endless and generally useless when it really comes to push and shove. And evo proponents love to argue. Viruses mutate. Yet they also un-mutate back to their original form. Always. This, science has proven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.