Visit site
✟443,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
To get back to the original post, it was asserted that 26% of Republicans feel that a politician's pro-choice position would be a "deal-breaker." Only 8% of Democrats feel that a politician's anti-abortion position would be a deal-breaker.

Or that 92% of Democrats would happily vote for a pro-life politician if he was pro-life on all cylinders (that's why they aren't Republicans, of course).

So the solution is getting Democrats to realize they don't have that much to gain by supporting abortion rights, and that the current policies of the ACA should make unwanted pregnancies as rare as measles or whooping cough.

Yes, I know there are other wedge issues dear to the hearts of social conservatives. Gay marriage. Guns. But I don't think they are as important.
Be that as it may - at a convention where a pro life democrat spoke - he wished the best for those who would run for presidency as he himself could not because of his pro life stance.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,093,390.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Be that as it may - at a convention where a pro life democrat spoke - he wished the best for those who would run for presidency as he himself could not because of his pro life stance.

The candidacy of Donald Trump should be plenty of proof that in the U.S. people can run for whatever they want, and if they win primaries they will get the nomination. The parties may try to throw obstacles in their way, but may not necessarily succeed.

Of course money is necessary, but there might be some millionaires out there who like the idea of a seamless garment kind of candidate. It would certainly be a novelty, and neither of the major parties has ever had a pro-life platform (I don't consider pro-preborn-life as pro-life unless a lot of other "pros" are added) in my memory. It would be really refreshing.

Of course I have my biases, too. I don't consider anyone opposed to stricter gun controls to be pro-life. I know some of you disagree, but it's my right to set my own parameters.

Reactions: Korah
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I would define a human being as an individual which is human. If there was no context to suggest more precise definitions, I would define "human" as "member of the human species" and "individual" as "single living organism." I would argue that this is the definition which best matches up with what people generally mean when they say "human being."

You want to talk about self awareness and sense of self. That's fine, but I don't think that these are the first things that people mean when they say "human being." For example, I think that most people would say that someone in a coma is a human being. Again, if your definition does not allow this than that is okay in the sense that we can discuss it, but you need to make it clear.

Especially if you challenge someone else to prove that something is a human being. It would be most charitable to assume a common definition for such a claim, not your personal specialized one.
There is a never a point from the moment of conception until that the DNA blueprint that defines all human development that is to come is not present, and is not unfolding.

The humanity of a young boy entering kindgergarten, of the old man delirious in the final stages of his cancer, or the man in his prime waging a war, are very different from each other.
But the difference at any stage of ones life, between the baby in the birth canal, and the baby taking her first breath, between the child in utero sucking her thumb, or sucking on her thumb on her first day on the outside, are progressive, and organic, with no breaks in the sequence in which one can point to say that this is a human life and this is not.
Because science itself shows that the same organism that exists at conception carries on existing until the moment of death.
Human life ultimately is not defined by science though. Our humanity is defined through an act of supreme faith.

We can either chose to have faith that every human life is of infinite and inherent worth, regardless of any exterior judgments of the worth of that life, or we can chose to believe that the worth of a human being is contingent on our judgements of its worthiness.

Reason alone would conclude that the world that sees all human life as of infinite value and of inherent worth is a better world in which we pick and chose which lives are worthy of life, and which are of no inherent value to us.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right on. That's why we are against abortion, capital punnishment as it is practiced in this time and place, it's why we favor stronger gun control laws, it's why we advocate for the requirements of Just War Doctrine to be met before engaging in any conflict, it's why we're against Euthanasia, it's why we're against abortion, it's why we recognize human torture as evil, and it's why we need to set up a system in which all people can get excelent healthcare (including preventative care and education) without regard to their ability to pay.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We have no Federal law governing when abortion may happen - any moment up to birth is legal. I favor a compromise path, in which pro-lifers and pro-choices get together and adopt legislation that allows abortion for those who "need" it most while offering additional help to mothers and their children and placing strong controls on when abortion is and is not legal. Unfortunately, the majority of pro-lifers and pro-choices are extremists who will not accept any compromise, so we'll continue to get what we've always got.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/01/16/a-history-of-key-abortion-rulings-of-the-us-supreme-court/

Let's be clear. States can ban abortions after 20 weeks. I also believe that Congress passed a law preventing partial birth abortion, the second of which was upheld by the Supreme Court in Gonzales v Carhart.

I agree with Patacki (as he argued on Thursday) that there should be federal legislation that prevents abortions after 20 weeks. Of course, Patacki was alone in this view.

There also needs to be much more support of young women (before, during and after pregnancy), including health care and protection of jobs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.pewforum.org/2013/01/16/a-history-of-key-abortion-rulings-of-the-us-supreme-court/

Let's be clear. States can ban abortions after 20 weeks. I also believe that Congress passed a law preventing partial birth abortion, the second of which was upheld by the Supreme Court in Gonzales v Carhart.

I agree with Patacki ( was he argued on Thursday) that there should be federal legislation that prevents abortions after 20 weeks. Of course, Patacki was alone in this view.

There also needs to be much more support of young women (before, during and after pregnancy), including health care and protection of jobs.

Agreed on all!

Upvote 0