✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.pewforum.org/2009/10/01/support-for-abortion-slips3/

Only a small minority of Americans (15%) say abortion is a critical issue facing the country today, down from 28% who said this in 2006. One-third says it is one important issue among many, while nearly half of the public (48%) says the issue of abortion is unimportant.

What's interesting about this?

In 2006, one third of conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats alike rated abortion as a critical issue. Since then, the percentage of conservative Republicans who rate abortion as a critical issue has dropped nine points, to 26%. But the drop has been much sharper among liberal Democrats: only 8% now say the issue is critical, a decline of 26 percentage points.

Politicians should read these polls...

Supporters of abortion are now much more likely to think the issue is 'no biggie.' Only 8% do. And why should they think it's a biggie, anyway? With birth control free and the morning after pill available over the counter, unplanned pregnancies can be as rare as whooping cough or measles.

So to me it seems to be a no-brainer. Democratic politicians, liberals don't care about abortion any more. Why do you?

Pro-lifers--wouldn't you want to have the choice to vote for a pro-life politician whose other positions aren't completely repellent and repugnant to you? What a wonderful thing that would be.

Maybe it would even make Republicans realize they have to earn your votes and your trust instead of throwing you a bone.

Interesting poll.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is interesting.. but only because ppl believe the president has no actual position to change the abortion laws.
However; it would change if PPF was defunded and a health clinic for the indigent [men and women] were to be given the grants instead. [a dream]
It would change if Supreme Court Justices died during the tenure of the President besides finally retiring at age 99.

I like that the % has dropped - but because of the two things i mentioned above - it will remain a disadvantage for democrats [given the abortion pet issue] who are pro life - to run for president.
What needs to be looked at as far as polls go - is how many democrats, who vote, support abortion.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is interesting.. but only because ppl believe the president has no actual position to change the abortion laws.
However; it would change if PPF was defunded and a health clinic for the indigent [men and women] were to be given the grants instead. [a dream]
It would change if Supreme Court Justices died during the tenure of the President besides finally retiring at age 99.

I like that the % has dropped - but because of the two things i mentioned above - it will remain a disadvantage for democrats [given the abortion pet issue] who are pro life - to run for president.
What needs to be looked at as far as polls go - is how many democrats, who vote, support abortion.
As long as those numbers remain high - pro life democrats cannot exist and flourish to the top.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
three interesting things that the poll brought out.
1. the relationship between % of church attendance and whether a person is pro life or pro choice.
2. how that attendance (or lack of it) reflected the views of the church or the views of the world.
3. the stark difference between Catholic and Protestant viewpoints on this subject
in relation to church attendance.

It would seem that Catholics who attend church often are more likely to be pro life, while Protestants who attend church more often are more likely to be pro choice.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
three interesting things that the poll brought out.
1. the relationship between % of church attendance and whether a person is pro life or pro choice.
2. how that attendance (or lack of it) reflected the views of the church or the views of the world.
3. the stark difference between Catholic and Protestant viewpoints on this subject
in relation to church attendance.

It would seem that Catholics who attend church often are more likely to be pro life, while Protestants who attend church more often are more likely to be pro choice.
Back in the day after PPF became popular - and post-legally acceptable - Protestants were against contraception - they switched.
Same with abortion - it becomes a matter of conscience rather than a strict rule of thumb for all.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What I see in the poll is that at this point in time abortion really doesn't matter to liberals. They figure that if people choose to forego birth control when it is free and readily available it serves them right if they have an unplanned pregnancy.

I mean here we are in 2015, living in a "democracy" which doesn't represent the common good of the people one bit, because voters are duped, bought and paid for by oligarchs with unlimited budgets, with massive income inequality, Medicare and Social Security continually under threat of extinction, and a majority of legislators who shouldn't be elected as dogcatchers.

So if liberals don't give a hoo-ha about abortion one way or the other, just drop the issue so that people with the right ideas, who care about the living, the environment, education, equity, and our future, will be elected.

The feminists will eventually realize that people who won't practice birth control when it's free and readily available aren't worth saving the abortion option for.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
10432940_625378630928652_5197022577243729446_n.png

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What I see in the poll is that at this point in time abortion really doesn't matter to liberals. They figure that if people choose to forego birth control when it is free and readily available it serves them right if they have an unplanned pregnancy.

I mean here we are in 2015, living in a "democracy" which doesn't represent the common good of the people one bit, because voters are duped, bought and paid for by oligarchs with unlimited budgets, with massive income inequality, Medicare and Social Security continually under threat of extinction, and a majority of legislators who shouldn't be elected as dogcatchers.

So if liberals don't give a hoo-ha about abortion one way or the other, just drop the issue so that people with the right ideas, who care about the living, the environment, education, equity, and our future, will be elected.

The feminists will eventually realize that people who won't practice birth control when it's free and readily available aren't worth saving the abortion option for.

there's only one problem with that agenda; babies are still human beings.

If we disregard their right to life, then what is to stop someone from disregarding the right to life of the elderly, the infirm, the handicapped, or the poor?
issues about the environment, education, equality, and the future will not matter if there is no one alive to appreciate them.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Supporters of abortion are now much more likely to think the issue is 'no biggie.' Only 8% do. And why should they think it's a biggie, anyway? With birth control free and the morning after pill available over the counter, unplanned pregnancies can be as rare as whooping cough or measles.

So to me it seems to be a no-brainer. Democratic politicians, liberals don't care about abortion any more. Why do you?

Pro-lifers--wouldn't you want to have the choice to vote for a pro-life politician whose other positions aren't completely repellent and repugnant to you? What a wonderful thing that would be.

Maybe it would even make Republicans realize they have to earn your votes and your trust instead of throwing you a bone.

Interesting poll.
I would suggest that people think of it as "no biggie" because we've reached a point where it's just an assumed default. For many, abortion has always been an option, even if only a theoretical one in the back of their minds. It's always been there, they've never really had to think about it. I imagine they might get a bit more emphatic about it if the option was suddenly removed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Come up with an empirical argument for that, and you win the debate.

If they aren't human beings what are they? Any species? No species?

What about a kit in the womb of a vixen? Is that a fox? Or does species classification of the unborn only become mysterious in humans?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Interesting poll.

If Democrats didn't care about abortion anymore, they would stop demanding that it be kept legal at all stages of gestation and their party would hold a wide array of views on the matter.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If they aren't human beings what are they? Any species? No species?

What about a kit in the womb of a vixen? Is that a fox? Or does species classification of the unborn only become mysterious in humans?
Insert mandatory merry-go-round discussion over the difference between human as adjective and human as noun.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If Democrats didn't care about abortion anymore, they would stop demanding that it be kept legal at all stages of gestation and their party would hold a wide array of views on the matter.
Do they demand that? I tought late term abortion was illegal over there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Abortion has to be illegal before the worry ends.
Do you think that will really do it, just make it illegal and it goes away? I think it is more important to change hearts. After all, abortion procedures have been around for a very long time and has been illegal for most of that time. Making it illegal may stop some, but changing hearts will stop a lot more.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Insert mandatory merry-go-round discussion over the difference between human as adjective and human as noun.

Well why don't you define these differences then?

We can't demonstrate to you that something is a human being if we don't know what you mean by "human being."

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well why don't you define these differences then?

We can't demonstrate to you that something is a human being if we don't know what you mean by "human being."
I've already explained this multiple time, including to you, iirc. IMHO, a human being is conceptually separate to something merely "being human". It involves ideas like self awareness and sense of self. But I'm not the one making the argument, you are, so how about YOU define "human being" for us?

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do they demand that? I tought late term abortion was illegal over there?

We have no Federal law governing when abortion may happen - any moment up to birth is legal. I favor a compromise path, in which pro-lifers and pro-choices get together and adopt legislation that allows abortion for those who "need" it most while offering additional help to mothers and their children and placing strong controls on when abortion is and is not legal. Unfortunately, the majority of pro-lifers and pro-choices are extremists who will not accept any compromise, so we'll continue to get what we've always got.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've already explained this multiple time, including to you, iirc. IMHO, a human being is conceptually separate to something merely "being human". It involves ideas like self awareness and sense of self. But I'm not the one making the argument, you are, so how about YOU define "human being" for us?

I would define a human being as an individual which is human. If there was no context to suggest more precise definitions, I would define "human" as "member of the human species" and "individual" as "single living organism." I would argue that this is the definition which best matches up with what people generally mean when they say "human being."

You want to talk about self awareness and sense of self. That's fine, but I don't think that these are the first things that people mean when they say "human being." For example, I think that most people would say that someone in a coma is a human being. Again, if your definition does not allow this than that is okay in the sense that we can discuss it, but you need to make it clear.

Especially if you challenge someone else to prove that something is a human being. It would be most charitable to assume a common definition for such a claim, not your personal specialized one.

Upvote 0