1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Faith Options in Your User Profile
    Please click on the following regarding this important notice in Announcements:

Faith Options in Your User Profile.

Streaming Internet on CRT TV

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MrJim, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MrJim

MrJim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Is this possible? I would like to replace my dying dvd player and I thought to get a blu-ray so I could stream netflix. I have an older Sony CRT and I'm seeing that on the back of the dvd players there are HDMI connections which of course my tv doesn't have. Can I make this work? I have no plans of replacing the tv until it dies so if not I will just do without but it would be neat.

Thanks

2. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

Faith:
    Christian
    I think some blueray players have rca outputs if your tv set has rca inputs otherwise you can pick up an rf modulator to convert rca to a 75 ohm coax input.

MrJim likes this.
  3. MrJim

MrJim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    OK the few I picked up only had hdmi connections and I saw the apple tv unit requires hdmi. I saw the roku has the rca inputs, I'll have to look for a player with those inputs. Maybe better to go roku and get a regular dvd player since I don't plan on heading into HD world anytime soon.

4. Sophrosyne

Faith:
    Christian
    Unless you have or are going to buy blueray dvds I would just get an inexpensive dvd player and when the 3D etc bluray players come down in price and you get a newer tv set then you can invest in one. I don't have a bluray player yet I still am using a tube tv set that doesn't even have rca inputs so I have a vcr handling the conversion to coax (rf modulator) but my dvr and dvd changer have hdmi inputs when I do get something.

5. NiobiumTragedy

NiobiumTragedy Glorious Tragedy

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    There is really no point in using a bluray player if all you're using is RCA outputs. That's like buying a Corvette when all the roads where you live are 25mph... sure, it will work, but what's the point if you can't use it to the full potential? To look pretty driving down the road?

6. Sophrosyne

Faith:
    Christian
    If you plan on getting a high definition setup in the near future and buy a lot of movies before you do that there is a point. You could easily spend the price of a blueray player by buying 100 movies in standard definition dvd then rebuying the same movies again in bluray and having to get rid of those 100 standard dvd movies at a loss when you could have just bought bluray in the first place. If you are not buying a lot of movies and plan on upgrading when your set retires itself then it may be the format after bluray would be your future target instead (possibly digital download double high definition).

7. NiobiumTragedy

NiobiumTragedy Glorious Tragedy

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Depends how far in the future you're looking, really. If you're not planning on going High Def in the next two years, there is really no point in stocking up now, especially with new technologies right around the corner.

Plus, you'd simply be wasting your money considering the prices of Bluray movies will significantly drop over those two years... but eh, to each their own.

8. MrJim

MrJim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Yeah I don't plan to "upgrade"~think maybe I'll just get a new dvd & roku.