Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
172332-albums2036-37685.jpg

These average 82 mpg (US gallon) and are a well tried and tested technology, they cost less than 40,000 dollars I think

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Americans, in the face of back-breaking trade deficits, are still buying foreign made vehicles by the millions. Have we learned nothing? :confused:

Apparently you haven't learned how to make vehicles that are better than the competition. It's all very well to be patriotic but buying an inferior product if the prices are comparible isn't something most people are going to do.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apparently you haven't learned how to make vehicles that are better than the competition. It's all very well to be patriotic but buying an inferior product if the prices are comparible isn't something most people are going to do.

Buying American goes well beyond being 'patriotic'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My Honda Civic was made in Greensburg, Indiana.

Our trade deficit with Japan runs $60-80 Billion per year. Part of that is profits from autos manufactured in U.S. plants. More jobs remain here but the profits still flow into the Japanese economy. Toyota's worldwide sales, including a major share generated here, accounts for about 5 percent of the entire Japanese economy. Japan as well as other foreign auto makers located plants here to avoid a trade war with the U.S. over imported autos. We fell for it. We're still bleeding to death, but not as fast.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟308,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Buying American goes well beyond being 'patriotic'.

Not if the American product is a inferior and costs twice as much. There is a reason that all my cars have been foreign made, and that is because the American equivalent didn't match up.

Though if Ford keeps improving its cars I may look at them in three to five years time.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well not to worry, all the American investers into Japan can just pay more taxes for bailouts and unemployment. And help with food stamps the Detroit auto workers receive and the steel workers garment districts and workers who lose jobs or have to take 50% pay cuts. It only when your living is changed that you will be concerned. Don't worry you will get your turn in the welfare line. Take a moment to quit trashing American products and consider the domino effect. Unemployment means loss of taxable income then workers become subsidized by the fed. And guess what you pay more and more taxes or lose your job because your company bolted. How great are their cars? How cheap? We just love those Walmart prices and don't we just love working for 6 bucks a hour then paying half of that in taxes. Welcome to third world America. Oh but yes the British will be sucked down the third world drain with us. Wake up we are broke! The only way to stop it is to step up manufacturing and exports cut corporate taxes to bring jobs back to the states. There's a lot more at stake than driving Japanese yupi Mobil's and trying to impress someone

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟308,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well not to worry, all the American investers into Japan can just pay more taxes for bailouts and unemployment. And help with food stamps the Detroit auto workers receive and the steel workers garment districts and workers who lose jobs or have to take 50% pay cuts. It only when your living is changed that you will be concerned. Don't worry you will get your turn in the welfare line. Take a moment to quit trashing American products and consider the domino effect. Unemployment means loss of taxable income then workers become subsidized by the fed. And guess what you pay more and more taxes or lose your job because your company bolted. How great are their cars? How cheap? We just love those Walmart prices and don't we just love working for 6 bucks a hour then paying half of that in taxes. Welcome to third world America. Oh but yes the British will be sucked down the third world drain with us. Wake up we are broke! The only way to stop it is to step up manufacturing and exports cut corporate taxes to bring jobs back to the states. There's a lot more at stake than driving Japanese yupi Mobil's and trying to impress someone

Look, I don't buy from Walmart because they do sell cheap junk. I will buy quality that is affordable no matter where it is made from. But don't expect me to but junk just because it is made in America.

I don't need much in a car. It needs to be reliable, have good gas mileage and have enough room. On the first two American cars have not done it for me until the last five years. Sounds like they finally got the message after nearly going bankrupt depending on Americans buying their junk.

And that was part of the problem, they where relying on Americans to buy from them just because it it was made is America. They had no incentive to improve their product. Now that they have, their sales are going back up and they are back on my initial list of makers to look at. They still have a long way to go to be as reliable as a Honda, but they are getting there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wpiman2

Oct 6, 2007
Godless Massachusetts
✟18,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our problem is that U.S. dollars aren't being spent back here. There is an overseas economy that runs on American dollars. More than half of all U.S. dollars ever printed now circulated in the global markplace. Our dollars have gone from 'reserve' currency to 'default' currency for these nations and enterprises. The international drug trade, for example, runs on American dollars. The underground economy of Russia, which comprised half of their domestic economy, runs on our dollars (the favored denomination being the $100 dollar bill). China holds and buys American dollars as a means of weakening us economically. Japan has done the same and even when they were in dire staits economically they retained their hold on billions of our dollars.

We are victims of our own success. Our dollars are more secure and have a greater purchasing power than any other currency. The economies of many nations are being upheld by their holdings of our currency.

Another problem is this. If our dollar weakens too much these nations will have to dump them back on us. This will leave their currencies vulnerable as ours has been upholding theirs. That is why they will make sure that the dollar is stronger against theirs by adjusting theirs downward if ours falls too far. They know that if dollars are dumped and the U.S. economy collapses that they will shortly follow.

In this regard everyone is now the 'victim' of American success.

If we create dollars out of thin air-- and people take them and we never have to honor them; then we got something for free.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
No way the Japanese are loyal to their people they leave imports on the shelves because they know that buying domestic strengthens their economy. They have common sense. Our products were cut back on quality years ago due to a influx of lowball products shipped in mass quantities they were priced low to get a foothold in the market. American auto makers had to cheapen products to compete. Creating a more convincing argument for the Japanese. 20 years later here we are have you priced Toyota or Nissan lately? Looked at standard options. I have Dodge and GM blows them away. Lower prices more options and better warranty. A Toyota Tacoma stickers over 30000 high for a compact truck, I can buy a full size ram with more options and only one MPG less than Tacoma for 26000. I have owned Dodge and GM for years with no issues. Ford was poor in the late 70s and 80s .I will compare Detroit with any Japanese veichle today. The Japanese have had plenty of recalls as well their floor mat excuse turned out to be fatal because they lied it was the accelerator all along. So if you get a Toyota crashing through your house you might reconcider calling American cars junk. You simply don't understand business your putting Japanese cars on a pedestal they could care less about the American economy they just want to own it. Fact is your taking the bait hook line and sinker. For all those proud share holders in Toyota wait tell you see the capital gains taxes in a year or two.Its pure greed to sell out the American worker and your country when were facing this much debt Its self serving and just plain wrong.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟308,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, but I do insist on good quality for my money. And in my experience American cars have not measured up until lately. There have been exceptions (Pontiac Vibe for one). Please note I said cars, not trucks. I don't have a need for a truck so I don't look at them. And the Toyota acceleration problem was in their cars, not their trucks. And it didn't happen to that many cars. Besides, Toyota's have gone down in quality since they have starting making so many models.

But like I said, American car manufacturers are starting to make good cars again, so my next car may be an American car. It really depends on my needs at the time and how much I am willing to pay for it.

Besides, it is a little late to be trying to pump up our manufacturing base by buying American. Most of those jobs are gone, and the ones that are not may soon be even if we by American or not. Welcome to the global economy.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If we create dollars out of thin air-- and people take them and we never have to honor them; then we got something for free.

An almost unknown aspect of money; it's like 'humus' in that it's as much a 'process' as it is a 'substance'.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never bought anything but American tucks/cars since 1967.

I currently have a 1990 Chevy truck that has 142,000 miles and does not use any oil. It has the same transmission and rear end.

I have heard that the japanese vehicles are better but I can not say. I have been satified with my Ford/GM/Chrysler vehicles.

My brother had a jeep-6cyl that he used on his rural mail route and had hundreds of stops every day. That jeep went over 200,000 miles on those rough rural roads without any major problem. I wonder if a Toyota or Honda could do that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You get something for free, until people suddenly realise that the dollar is worth the paper it's printed on and want something else instead. Then you find out just how free all those new dollars were.

Upvote 0

ValleyWalker2

It was for freedom that Christ set us free...
Dec 4, 2003
✟15,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Americans, in the face of back-breaking trade deficits, are still buying foreign made vehicles by the millions. Have we learned nothing? :confused:

Well I still have the same dilemma I've had for decades; Support a hard working foreigner or support an American union worker? That's a really tough decision for me.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I still have the same dilemma I've had for decades; Support a hard working foreigner or support an American union worker? That's a really tough decision for me.

Just choose the one less damaging to our economy.

Upvote 0