Still buying imported cars.

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Americans, in the face of back-breaking trade deficits, are still buying foreign made vehicles by the millions. Have we learned nothing? :confused:

Why do you think we have a patriotic duty to support American can companies? Why aren't you talking about their patriotic duty to stop making crappy cars*?

*Except Ford. Ford has their act together.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The OP has no idea how dominant American firms are across the globe. American products have penetrated deeply into pretty much every market in the world, and hold a huge number of patents in every field. Anyone someone buys a cell phone in India, guess who they pay?

Also, american financial firms own a big chunk in pretty much every successful company in the world, including Toyota and Honda. I'm not kidding. We're complaining that the Japanese make good cars. The Japanese are complaining that Toyota is owned by the U.S. anyway.

I find it funny the OP concentrates on the cars while conveniently ignoring all the other huge amount of profits our companies rake in. It's a market economy, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

American owned companies operating overseas only takes investment capital out of the U.S. economy. Not a good thing for America. Also it is a high manipulated market economy where normal market forces take a back seat to Wall St. speculation and chicanery.

Competition for the American auto market has already led to vastly improved American made vehicles. I doubt if we will go back, especially if Asian markets really open for our autos.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
*Except Ford. Ford has their act together.

Agreed. I'm driving my second Grand Marquis. Great car; big, safe, good mileage, and the only sedan made that can fit my tree stand in the trunk. :D

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. I'm driving my second Grand Marquis. Great car; big, safe, good mileage, and the only sedan made that can fit my tree stand in the trunk. :D

What mpg do you average?

The Ford Model A did 25 mpg to 30 mpg

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What mpg do you average?

In terms of transporting people, the modern cars are using more fuel than the cars of 1930,

the US has considerably less petroleum now than it did then

so that is a big step in the wrong direction.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What mpg do you average?

I drive mostly on the highway and get 26-27mpg all around mileage in summer, 22mpg in winter. The car is rated for 25 highway, 17 city. Not bad for a large car with a V8. The Grand Marquis and its Ford counterpart the Crown Victoria have exellent engines. I junked my 1996 GM with 465,000 miles on the engine, which still purred like a kitten (it did use a quart of oil between changes though). My 2005 has 138,000 miles on it and I expect the same longevity from the engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My car weighs 2,240 lbs, engine size is 80 cu. inches and gives 40mpg (US gallons) on normal commute which is half at 70 mph and the rest on twisty roads.

I am nonetheless impressed by the fuel consumption you have achieved and your choice of car.

Basically if everyone got twice as many mpg and the same number of people travelled the same distances, then provided the same savings were achieved in aviation and heating fuel, then the gasoline would last twice as long.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My car weighs 2,240 lbs, engine size is 80 cu. inches and gives 40mpg (US gallons) on normal commute which is half at 70 mph and the rest on twisty roads.

I am nonetheless impressed by the fuel consumption you have achieved and your choice of car.

Basically if everyone got twice as many mpg and the same number of people travelled the same distances, then provided the same savings were achieved in aviation and heating fuel, then the gasoline would last twice as long.

Although I don't drive daily back and forth to work (I live next to my workplace) and am very efficient at combining trips i.e. banking, shopping, etc., I do a lot of recreational driving, which many would decry as wasteful. But I try to conserve gas by coasting a lot. I drive basically the same routes and know how to squeeze every last drop of gas using the 'surge and coast' method whenever traffic permits.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So figure this take a look around your home and garage. See how many items are made in USA then try to determine how many American jobs were lost due to you buying those foreign products. Its only when you lose your job or pension you will think about buying those fine foreign goods in a new perspective.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Allowing the consumer to choose what to do with their own money is the core doctrine of Ronald Reagan

Wake up! Look out side your tunnel, do you think Reagan would endorse this destruction of our economy. Look at all the vacant industrial buildings vacant strip plazas get this we have shipped most of our durable goods manufacturing over seas that means fewer jobs here. We have had catastrophe of loss due to inferior products made in china allowed here. Free trade tell that to people who lost homes due to deadly dry wall emitting sulfuric gas. Do you understand how much it cost just for one house repair. 100000 how free is that since it put many builders out and left home owners the bill. China alone has set us back decades due to their trash being pushed in. And now we are in debt to them they hold our destiny? Core Reagan doctrine tell me your joking. This is economic invasion intent on bankrupting The United States. People who have no concept of blue collar work sit in glass buildings talking about what a good Toyota they have and how smart they are for buying it. I have news for you, I know someone who was on the board of a japan auto maker in early 80s their main goal was to over take our market. They launched a huge prorganda campaign to target white collar America. Their is much more I cannot say. How stupid is it to justify by saying they assemble here that helps. Isn't that touching since they broke Detroit so that should comfort the unemployed. And isn't it great to buy products cheaper that's because that's all we are doing is buying not building. The white collar people soon will be taxed out and have no clients themselves then people may come out of this Walmart coma. Reagan's core belief was to give tax breaks to industry to create more jobs here thus increasing exports and expanding our tax base in order to reduce debt and maintain trade balance. Now we are the second highest corporate tax rate in the world. Corporations are leaving in droves seeking shelter. This tax policy is throwing away a quarter to get a dime. So we have lost manufacturing jobs overseas we use illegal workers for service jobs and provide health care for them. How long can we pay welfare and in employment. When does China call in our debt and set up a trade command center in DC. Get off your cellphones a take a look around while driving see how many times you say look what is shut down look at that vacant parking lot or unfinished housing take off the blinders. Reagan would be glad you did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeOfGoodCheer

Romans 8:38-39
Oct 2, 2011
United States
✟7,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steve Petersen said:
So, buy American, even if it is garbage, eh.

Economic nationalism. Not very 'progressive.'

Are people in Japan less worthy of jobs than Americans?

What a strawman argument statement. It's not about worth in any way. Only God knows anyone's true worth.

Two other points -
American vehicles havent been 'garbage' for quite awhile. Years. Many models are competitive and have pluses over foreign makes. Refresh your facts overall, or be specific in your comparison and rationale for the narrow focus.

Read all the scriptures about neighbors. If you live in America, the workers in America are your neighbors. Why snub them, when it's just as easy to benefit them?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
We the American consumer have fallen for the oldest trick in the book. A large company enters a market uses marketing and advertising propaganda sells at low margins until it breaks the competition then raises margins at will because they now own the market. Poor japan we should shut down the big three and make popsicle sticks for our living.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what? We buy foreign cars, and the foreigners receive dollars for our cars. The only place they can spend those dollars is in the US. If we run deficits today, that means surpluses tomorrow.

Our problem is that U.S. dollars aren't being spent back here. There is an overseas economy that runs on American dollars. More than half of all U.S. dollars ever printed now circulated in the global markplace. Our dollars have gone from 'reserve' currency to 'default' currency for these nations and enterprises. The international drug trade, for example, runs on American dollars. The underground economy of Russia, which comprised half of their domestic economy, runs on our dollars (the favored denomination being the $100 dollar bill). China holds and buys American dollars as a means of weakening us economically. Japan has done the same and even when they were in dire staits economically they retained their hold on billions of our dollars.

We are victims of our own success. Our dollars are more secure and have a greater purchasing power than any other currency. The economies of many nations are being upheld by their holdings of our currency.

Another problem is this. If our dollar weakens too much these nations will have to dump them back on us. This will leave their currencies vulnerable as ours has been upholding theirs. That is why they will make sure that the dollar is stronger against theirs by adjusting theirs downward if ours falls too far. They know that if dollars are dumped and the U.S. economy collapses that they will shortly follow.

In this regard everyone is now the 'victim' of American success.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Americans, in the face of back-breaking trade deficits, are still buying foreign made vehicles by the millions. Have we learned nothing? :confused:
I heard a chevy dealer crying a while back, "buy American".......well my wife worked for Toyota, the company is on American soil, it has Americans working in it, the parts for these cars are made in America, these Americans get paid American money, which they spend in America.......plus Toyota's are the best cars around........call stupid but I think people will spend their money to get the best product for there dollar. maybe if the big car makers of the past kept up with times, they wouldn't of shot themselves in the economic foot

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is an imported car? The best selling car in the US for several years now is the Camry, which is assembled in Georgetown, KY and Lafayette, IN. (Toyota Avalon is also made in KY. The Tundra and Siena, are assembled in the US, too.) Honda Accords are made in Ohio, and the Odyssey comes from Alabama. Mercedes-Benz makes SUVs in Tuscaloosa. Nissan has a design studio in Calif., and 3 production plants in the US making the Altima, Maxima, Pathfinder, and several other models. OTOH, Ford and GM make cars in Mexico, and all of the big 3 have plants in Canada.

So what is really an imported car? A Camry made in Kentucky, or a Ford Fusion made in Mexico?

Full disclosure: I am a Toyota shareholder. :wave:

Exactly this ^^

I happen to live near Georgetown, KY and the Camry is more made in America than any of the "American" car brands are. If you truly want to buy an American made car, buy a Toyota. There are at least 7000 jobs in Georgetown fueled by Toyota. In fact, I've heard by many that they are an excellent employer!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly this ^^

I happen to live near Georgetown, KY and the Camry is more made in America than any of the "American" car brands are. If you truly want to buy an American made car, buy a Toyota. There are at least 7000 jobs in Georgetown fueled by Toyota. In fact, I've heard by many that they are an excellent employer!

Locating their companies here and providing employment for Americans is a good start, but they must also balance their trade with us by buying American products and services with the profits thus returning our dollars to our domestic economy. For the global economy to be strong America's economy must be strong. What foreign nations are doing is 'muzzling the ox (America) that treads out the grain (money)'.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Exactly this ^^

Well that's great news , I hope they continue to be excellent employers. I wouldn't want to apply for a job with a Chinese or Soviet corporation.:argh

Upvote 0